Author Topic: Read this if you're thinking about shaving...  (Read 2969 times)

Offline grizzly

• Learning the way of Sly
Read this if you're thinking about shaving...
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:03:39 PM »
I want to thank all of you guys who posted comments promoting shaving your head.  I have been hiding under a hat for 10 years.  I was psychotic about the size of my head and going bald.  It affected every aspect of my life.  Good friends I've had for many years never saw me without a hat on.  I hesitated to go on overnight trips because I would have to take my hat off to go to bed.  I wouldn't go swimming with friends or even out to eat where you couldn't wear a hat.  I dreaded going to clubs and being asked to remove my hat.  My buddies wanted me to fly to Florida for a fishing trip and I wouldn't go because I might have to remove my hat for airport security.  Even my wardrobe options were limited while wearing a hat.  I could go on for hours... 
I had always wanted to shave my head but was way too scared of how I would look.  I'm not extremely hideous but very very self-conscious.  I have a very attractive wife.
Then I found this website and it had the answers I was looking for.  I thought I was the only one hiding under a hat but there's lots of out there!!  So I finally did it.  I went to the barber today and had him shave it as close as he could.  Then I went to Walgreens and bought a headblade razor.  It was very nerve wracking today but I love it!!!!!!!!!!!  My big forehead is not so big anymore and I don't have to worry about my hairloss.
I'm @#$% FREE from the chains and shackles and it feels so good.  Still a little nervous about how my friends might react though.
My wife loves it, the kids are unsure.  I will repeat the same thing many have on this site over and over.  'WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS YEARS AGO???"
If you're debating it, just do it.  You can't be as psychotic about it as I was and you'll love it.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
Re: Read this if you're thinking about shaving...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:19:31 AM »
Welcome aboard Griz!  O:O

Great post!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:57:33 AM »
Welcome to the SBGs, grizzly. I know you're going to inspire a lot of folks with your post.

8)
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:12:18 AM »
Welcome grizzly.    Thanks for the great post, it is sure to hit home for many who read it.   Now go out there and enjoy that freedom
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:53:54 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Grizzly! Nice intro! Now post up a photo for us...........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »
Welcome, great intro. O0

Note to lurkers:  Another satisfied customer who took the message of SBG to their mpb issue & solved it--and you can too. 

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:05:38 AM »
Welcome hee, Grizzly!

Congrats on your decision and your post. Thank you for sharing.
Enjoy your new sly life  O0

J

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:21:24 AM »
Grizzly, welcome to the good life.  So happy you found us, so come back and enjoy the brotherhood, coversations and information this site provides.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »
congrats on taking control of your life: bet it feels GREAT! O0

Post a pic soon! 8)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »
Great post!  Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mauser

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »
I apologize for resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a new one. I just wanted to chime in and say I was you until five minutes ago. Everything down to the obsessive fear of going places where I might be asked to take my hat off. I've missed so much these past five years. Everything you've mentioned, I've lived a thousand times over. I must say that after combing through these forums(no pun intended) relentlessly for the past three days and reading hundreds of stories similar to my own on various forums, it was your post that finally struck a chord with me and prompted me to grab a shaver and go to town. I've been having so much doubt about going through with it. I was content to crawl back into my hole with my hat on. I quite literally stood in front of the mirror for two and a half hours this morning, staring at my head and working up the courage to do it. Finally, something clicked and I did it. Like ripping off a bandaid.

I just wanted to thank you for having the courage to post here and share your story. I hope you've found the liberation you've been seeking all these years. I'm still not sure about how I feel. Better off, would be one way to describe it. But I still need to find myself and grow into my own skin.

Cheers

Enter your email address: