Author Topic: Razor or Electric Shaver ?  (Read 10037 times)

Offline iCyborg

• Sly Guy in Training
Razor or Electric Shaver ?
« on: December 26, 2009, 02:42:37 AM »
Hi Guys, Merry Xmas and happy new year to all of you, :)

so I hate shaving  but I also want to look clean shaven most of the time, so ideally I am looking for an option which is quick and I feels I am better of going with electric shaver though reading at some of the threads, it looks it causes some irritation and doesn't give that close shave as regular shaving.

any suggestions ?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Razor or Electric Shaver ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 05:36:00 AM »
Your post is in the face shaving section.  Are you talking about shaving your face only with an electric?

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline CraigarTA620

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 06:07:10 AM »
It depends on what type (foil or rotary) and how often you clean them and change the cutters on them.
I had a Braun I got back in Germany in 1989 that worked great, but when I came back to states they didn't sell any parts here.

I have seen bad and good. Just do a check on Consumer reports.

Offline iCyborg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 02:43:01 AM »
hi red, yes I am talking about shaving the face only (not head)

Thanks Craig,

Guys, any other suggestions ?

Offline Grr8 Franzini

• Sly Jr.
  • It's Magic!
    • Fit-N-Fit
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:05:14 AM »
Craig,

Personally I used to always shave my face with a razor. I switched about a year ago to an electric and couldnt be happier. It is easy and doesnt irritate at all. The shave is just as close as a normal razor and half the mess. I would highly recommend it on your face. I wouldnt recommend it on your head...definetly do the tried and true way there.

I use the Norelco arcitec. Pays for itself.

Just my two cents!
What's hair got to do with it?

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:07:42 AM »
For me it was exactly the opposite. I was using electric shavers all the time (Philips rotary system, Braun and Panasonic linear models) because it was quick and easy. Some time after I started to shave my head with the HeadBlade I thought I should try to shave the face with a razor too. I'm still doing so because it is more convinient for me to shave everything together, using an regular razor for the face and touch-ups after the HeadBlade.

Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Grr8 Franzini

• Sly Jr.
  • It's Magic!
    • Fit-N-Fit
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 04:45:30 AM »
I used to shave with a regular razor on my face, but I would get a lot of irritation on my neck. I couldn't shave against the grain there and just shaving with the grain wouldn't get everything because the hair grows every which way there so I had to do something. With the electric I just go in circles on my neck and it gets all the hair and is smooth with no problems. Every great once in a while I will have one ingrown hair but nothing that even compares to before.

Although on a side note, I am thinking about trying the razor again now that I am sly...just would be nice to do it all at once and have one big clean smooth look.

Not to mention with a electric, the hair seems to grow back a lot quicker than it did with the razor.

Offline iCyborg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 06:33:03 AM »
Craig,

Personally I used to always shave my face with a razor. I switched about a year ago to an electric and couldnt be happier. It is easy and doesnt irritate at all. The shave is just as close as a normal razor and half the mess. I would highly recommend it on your face. I wouldnt recommend it on your head...definetly do the tried and true way there.

Just my two cents!

Hi Andy, Arcitec looks great, though it seems to be loaded with too many features which probably I won't use, you have anything as good but with less addons to recommend ?

iCyborg
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:34:41 AM by iCyborg »

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 01:48:52 PM »
A couple of times  (when I am lazy) I use my norelco    on my head and face - - -and it is not bad - - -- - -most of the time I use the Schick Xtreme3 comfort plus

Offline Grr8 Franzini

• Sly Jr.
  • It's Magic!
    • Fit-N-Fit
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »
Cyborg,

I am not sure what features you are talking about  :-[ I mean I am sure there are a bunch of internal features, but there arent any special gadgets or anything that go with the arcitec. The trimmer head bends and goes with the shape of your face when you shave. There is a little trimmer on the back for doing sideburns and such. And when the batter gets low, a low battery indicator comes on lol but that is about it. Nothing special to it. Just click the on button and shave away. Easy cleaning just run water over it. The clipper stores the hair you clip for easy disposal so no mess. Great Clipper. I will continue to use it for sometime. Have had it for about a year and still havent changed the blades haha. Worth the money in my opinion.

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »
A couple of times  (when I am lazy) I use my norelco    on my head and face - - -and it is not bad - - -- - -most of the time I use the Schick Xtreme3 comfort plus

Man I have tried using an electric on my head and all it ever did was aggravate my skin..and it took about 20 min to do.

I do however alternate between the Mach 3 and an electric on my face. I have to shave every morning because I am in the military and when I start to get razor burn ill use an electric for a few days until it goes away.

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »

Man I have tried using an electric on my head and all it ever did was aggravate my skin..and it took about 20 min to do.

I do however alternate between the Mach 3 and an electric on my face. I have to shave every morning because I am in the military and when I start to get razor burn ill use an electric for a few days until it goes away.

I'm not going to suggest that everyone ought to run out and spend $125 for a Panasonic Linear, but wet shaving with an electric is a world of difference from dry shaving with an electric.

Just sayin'  O:O

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 01:05:45 PM »
A couple of times  (when I am lazy) I use my norelco    on my head and face - - -and it is not bad - - -- - -most of the time I use the Schick Xtreme3 comfort plus

I'm not going to suggest that everyone ought to run out and spend $125 for a Panasonic Linear, but wet shaving with an electric is a world of difference from dry shaving with an electric.

Just sayin'  O:O

Red

I havent tryed wet shaving with an electric yet  ( dry yes )- ( when too lazy too use razor )..
  So shower first then hit the electric with a wet head ??    ???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:38:56 PM by aarrggh »

Offline Sly Red

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 03:26:29 PM »

I havent tryed wet shaving with an electric yet  ( dry yes )- ( when too lazy too use razor )..
  So shower first then hit the electric with a wet head ??    ???

Firstly, it must be an electric that can be used wet.  Shaving wet in the shower is the best method.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:28:46 PM by SimplyRed »

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 11:08:57 AM »
Craig,

Just my two cents!

I have used the Arcitec and it is great for the chin and about it I seen to have a heck of a time getting close on the neck without razor burn
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair