Author Topic: Redness, pimples and other stuff on your head...  (Read 14605 times)

BaldRob

Re: Redness, pimples and other stuff on your head...
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 06:06:32 PM »
Seriously now, I'm curious about it. I've considered buying it but I was hesitant as I would have to order the blades online everytime since they're not available in Greece. I've also heard that the headblade was great for large areas but a little tricky with the, well, tricky ones (eg around the ears). So if I had to waste a fresh extra razor just for the ears everytime I shaved with the headblade, hm...that leaves me thinking.

What are your experiences with the headblade? I've also heard about their various lotions (Headlube etc) and I'd definitely try one of these.

HH- I also use the headblade, but I buy Gillette Atra Plus blades for it... they work great!  Their HeadSlick shaving cream is also great, as well as the HeadShed (exfoliator).  Around the ears and the rest of my face I use the Gillette Fusion...

As far as your red bumps, you might try shaving in the shower... I used to hate shaving (was in the Navy and had to shave every day) because my skin got irritated.  I read an article on a website about 5 years ago about how shaving in the shower is much better because the hot water and steam help the hair swell, which gives a better shave.  Grab a fog-free mirror and expect to stay in the shower a few extra minutes (about 5 extra minutes for me.

Hope this helps!   :)

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2006, 06:13:03 AM »
BaldRob, thanks for the advice. I agree, rinsing your head with warm water for a minute or two helps soften the skin and makes shaving much smoother. However, I'm hesitant to shave my head while showering. First, I have no means to fix the shower head above my head (I'm 6 feet 5), and secondly, it's too much fuss (at least for me) to do the shaving in the shower. I'll stick to the sink for now, but I shall rinse my head a little longer (with warm water) from now on to further reduce irritation. I shall also try baby oil (an alternative to shaving cream). I've heard it works much better than most conventional shaving creams. I shall let you know how it went...
Who loves ya, baby?

BaldRob

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 01:17:10 PM »
BaldRob, thanks for the advice. I agree, rinsing your head with warm water for a minute or two helps soften the skin and makes shaving much smoother. However, I'm hesitant to shave my head while showering. First, I have no means to fix the shower head above my head (I'm 6 feet 5), and secondly, it's too much fuss (at least for me) to do the shaving in the shower. I'll stick to the sink for now, but I shall rinse my head a little longer (with warm water) from now on to further reduce irritation. I shall also try baby oil (an alternative to shaving cream). I've heard it works much better than most conventional shaving creams. I shall let you know how it went...

Wow.... 6'5"... I understand your dilemma!!

Here's an alternative... take a towel and soak it with hot water and then put it over your head and face for a couple minutes.  Should have the same effect...   :)

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 03:26:36 PM »
I've always rubbed hot water on my melon for a couple minutes before applying shaving cream/gels myself. A trick my father taught me when I was new to shaving as a teen. Works great on the top too! I get the feel it assists with the slicing of the hairs and smoothness of the move of the blade.
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline baldvinny

• Baron Of The Bald
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • "Feel My F'n GROOVE!"
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 03:49:14 PM »
i dont know about the baby oil thing...oil clogs pores, and can make your problem worse

i really think you should check out headblade. i know they have european operations working.

my advice is a few bits that seem to work for me. heat (steam) opens pores. the more they are open, the better the shave. i cant even imagine shaving anywhere but the shower. shaving cream is for lubrication only, so get something that is natural, water based (wong clog the razor) and has no additives. friction SUCKS and is usually the root of all evil. less pressure, long strokes, and your situation may improve

i use the hb on my head, and a sensor to get behnd my ears. if you have the wilkensons anyway, try out the hb and use the others for your face

good luck

Offline seanc7nyc

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 07:21:23 PM »
Back to the redness/pimples, here's another theory...

Since I shaved my head, I've been touching my head a lot.  I don't notice until my wife slaps me and tells me I "look like a monkey, stop doing that all day."  It got me thinking, if you touched your face all day, you'd probably break out, so the head can't be all that different.  Not sure if you've been touching your head, but that might be it.  I know Bald guyz sells those head wipes, but I haven't tried them yet.

Offline michael21228

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 07:33:30 PM »
I had a similar problem, I asked my dr about it and he prescribed a wash to use, it's called Clenia foaming wash, it's Sodium Sulfacetamid and sulfer 10% of each and my skin cleared up with in a few days, now I just use it every few days and haven't had a problems since. 

Offline baldvinny

• Baron Of The Bald
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • "Feel My F'n GROOVE!"
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 07:16:29 AM »
is that clenia over the counter? i have had some acne popping up near my temples recently, and im looking for a new face wash....

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »
I've just been at the chemist's and I was given Dalacin C and Germisdin for
the pimples and the redness.

Dalacin C is a cream in a tube, and the chemist told me to apply it locally twice
a day.

Germisdin is an antiseptic washing solution to wash my head with (and it's bloody expensive).
I used to use Betadine, but according to the chemist that's quite heavy stuff
to be using on a regular basis. To give you an idea - it's mostly used in hospitals, and is probably not meant for regular use.
So I hope the Germisdin will do an overall better job in that respect.

I'm confident the acne and the redness will disappear, or at least be reduced by this new regimen.

I shall let you know about the results in a future post. Thanks, guys, for all your advice and tips so far. I really appreciate all your help.
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2006, 04:37:16 AM »
Hey guys,

since you've all been so helpful with posting your tips, I thought
I'd let you know how it turned out with that pimple thing:

Now, as I mentioned earlier, I got myself that cream and that antiseptic liquid soap from a pharmacy. I've been using these for the past couple of weeks (washing my head with the antiseptic "Germisdin" every second day and applying the "Dalacin" cream twice a day), and the results so far have been great!

There's been a noticeabe reduction of pimples and redness all over my skull.
Most pimples are gone, and the redness isn't quite as red now. It's gotten much paler and is much much less noticeable now. I'm quite happy with the results.
The use of the cream, the antiseptic soap and the more careful shaving (especially around the affected areas) have definitely paid off.

Again, thanks for all your posts and tips. They've been very helpful.
Who loves ya, baby?