Author Topic: Redness, pimples and other stuff on your head...  (Read 14618 times)

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Redness, pimples and other stuff on your head...
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:27:36 PM »
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my plate and need your advice.

There's redness and small red pimples all over it and they just won't go away (even if I ask them nicely). In other words, my skull is not a clean, white plate, as it should be.

When I first started shaving I thought "well, it's irritation...after all, you just started shaving." But more than 8 months later it's still there - not in the same intensity, but still quite noticeable.

Is there something I can do? Have any of you had similar problems or experiences? Would certain balms or potions remedy the situation?

I thought if I shaved more carefully and made sure I didn't cut myself at all, these things would eventually go away. I also thought for a while that if I gave my skull a break from shaving things would normalise.

But they didn't, they're still here. I just hope they aren't here to stay... :-[
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 01:34:37 PM by happyharry »

Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
Re: Redness, pimples and other stuff on your head...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 07:16:44 PM »
I am unsure harry, it sounds to me like a razor that is sort of dull, but I assume you are using fresh razors. Other possibility is that you are having a reaction to a solution you may be using, whether it be a lotion or cream or whatever, before/during/or after shaving. For example, I can ONLY use one specific brand of deodorant on my underarms or I get a nasty rash, hence I have no choice what I use. hehe Comparedly, with my head shaving, lotions don't agree with my skin too much. I just use a small amount of things I know to work in the past. I shave a complete circle below the base of my neck, for my neck gets a full coat of hair, unlike my crown lol. My neck is very sensitive, and I frequently get the red dots on my neck, another reason I am a 3 or so day shaver, so I don;t irritate the area daily. I first became aware of this red dot problem, way back in Marine Corp Bootcamp, having to shave each and every day. I also noticced that a "huge" % of recruits had the same issue, I can only think it was due to the daily shaving, not the best quality of products, and the harsh "yelling" we endured hehehe  My first suggestion would be to alter something in your process, methods of shaving, time between,  or equipment/lotions, etc. to see if something works better for ya. 8 months straight something needs to be changed in your system bro. Best of luck and keep us informed..
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 05:18:24 AM »
Yeti, so far I've been able to rule out the razors (I always use fresh razors with excellent blades, never use them twice) and the solutions - I only use shaving cream / gel to shave my head and that's about it. Plus, I've already changed between three different shaving creams and there's still no noticeable change. I also wash my head with a special Betadine antiseptic shampoo prior to shaving (and sometimes even afterwards) to make sure there are no critters lurking around waiting for me to (inevitably) cut myself.

It's probably a combination of the things you mentioned (frequency of shaving, shaving products etc.)
It did improve over the past 8 months, though. It's nothing like it was when I just started shaving. And it'll probably go away in a year or so if I continue with my current shaving pattern. It's just that I wanted my head to be really clean and perfectly white rather than tainted with various red spots and areas....

Thanks for your reply. :)
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:00:57 PM »

Your welcome bro, I do know that if I used all that stuff my head would break out too, the betadine itself might be the issue, the head and/or neck are areas that take some time to get used to being shaved all the time. As I stated my neck still gets annoyed, but I think thats because it covers with hair. My head goes much better these days, due to the shaving area being so small... lol
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 10:16:30 AM »
What razors are you using? Is there a possibility it could be the brand of razor?
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:56:53 AM »
HueroPelon,

I use three different razors: Wilkinson/Schick Quattro, Wilkinson Extreme 3 (disposable 3 blade razor) and lately
the Wilkinson Extra II (2 blades).

The Quattro is the one with the least irritation.

Whether the redness could be related to the razors or the brand of razors I use: Hm, I don't know. It's hard to
imagine it could be from the brand.

But thinking about it (my problem), I think it could be related to my shaving technique. I modified it recently and
the last three shaves I had were very smooth and there was very little irritation. Additionally, I didn't cut any pimples (which I used to do with my previous technique), and I guess things will get better from now on...
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 01:12:41 PM »
Are you using a different angle with the new technique?
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 04:41:36 PM »
Are you using a different angle with the new technique?

Not that I'm aware of. I apply much less pressure and the strokes are smaller (only a few centimeters). It's difficult to explain it, but I basically work with the resistance of the stubble. Once I notice the resistance of the stubble against the blade I simply draw the razor along without applying pressure (or with very very little pressure). And it works like a charm.

Basically, I'm still in the process of "learning" how to shave. No one taught me how to shave my head, no one taught me the most effective technique, so, through experimentation and with experience, I'll have to figure it out on my own...

By the way, I figured out that a good razor alone won't guarantee that you won't get any irritation or cuts. I cut myself plenty with the Quattro and the Extreme 3. I now use the cheap Extra II razors (2 blades) and I rarely get any cuts or irritation, simply by adjusting my technique. So I learned that a good technique is important.
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »
 Hey bro, If you are shaving "slowly" with the resistance of the follicle to the speed of the blade that could be an issue as well. A steady speed, that fits the area of skin, with a lil excelleration at the start seems to help me with the dots. I get them heavily on my neck area, due to the hair returning at an angle, almost 90 degrees, and they have a much higher chance of growing under the skin.... most annoying.
~Yeti
-------------
-------------
-------------

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 07:48:52 AM »
Something I learned when I first started using the HeadBlade is you don't need that much pressure. I think Harry posted it somewhere else, the details of his new technique included less pressure. I can honestly say that the combination of the HeadBlade and HeadSlick is the best.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 11:38:59 AM »
PigPen, I never used the headblade, but I did mention my new technique with less pressure in another thread.
I've also checked out the headblade on their website, and they keep stressing that you shouldn't apply any pressure at
all...must be quite a potent razor, this headbleed...sorry, headblade. ;)

Seriously now, I'm curious about it. I've considered buying it but I was hesitant as I would have to order the blades online everytime since they're not available in Greece. I've also heard that the headblade was great for large areas but a little tricky with the, well, tricky ones (eg around the ears). So if I had to waste a fresh extra razor just for the ears everytime I shaved with the headblade, hm...that leaves me thinking.

What are your experiences with the headblade? I've also heard about their various lotions (Headlube etc) and I'd definitely try one of these.
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline PigPen

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 02:50:22 PM »
It does get a little tricky around the ears. More than once I have knicked my noggin around that area. Funny thing is, that sometimes I will miss the little bit of hair right behind the ears, and other times I get it no problem. However, I do need to touch up where my ears and noggin come together about every 2-3 days. I try to remember to check these places everyday. I usually change the razor about once a week.

I also religiously use the HeadSlick and HeadLube.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 03:00:20 PM »
...amen to that. ;)
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 05:58:14 PM »
haven't tried one myself either, but with all the good info I have read in our new "awesome" forum home, I think I will stick with my Mach 3, no need for the Headblade or the Fusion...  btw thx to all who helped me form this opinion, especially my wallet thanks you! lol   :D
~Yeti
-------------
-------------
-------------

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 01:39:19 AM »
I hope the info about a smooth, yet using slight excelleration on start helps bro. I seem to have more issues with the dots when I try to go slow for each follicle small area etc. 1 long steady stroke, at your desired pressure, depending on your product. Good luck and lemme know.   ;)
~Yeti
-------------
-------------
-------------