Author Topic: Why no love for disposables?  (Read 4740 times)

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
Re: Why no love for disposables?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 06:54:49 AM »
Well, it's too soon for me to say whether I hate disposables or not.  I shaved my head for the first time with one at the gym this a.m., and the shave seems as good, if not a bit better, than the one I got on Monday with a Schick Quattro.  The disposables are store brand from Target, ten for about $4.50, two-bladers.  I've got to see how long one will give a reasonable shave with before I say they...as some others here say..."suck," (or not).

Offline hasting316

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 04:08:30 AM »
I use the cheapest disposables I can find. I get 10 of them for a dollar and I use 3 of them every time I shave my grape. I go real slow. I might get the occasional nick, but nothing too terrible.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 05:01:25 AM »
3 every time??!!???? Dude you most have wire for the hair that remains... :*))
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 06:30:23 AM »
I use the cheapest disposables I can find. I get 10 of them for a dollar and I use 3 of them every time I shave my grape. I go real slow. I might get the occasional nick, but nothing too terrible.

At a cost of about $2.10 a week, that's about what one Mach III blade,which lasts me anywhere from 10 days to 2 weeks, lasts.

Offline OffcerClancy

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 03:41:43 PM »
Ok, you all were correct.  I purchased a Sensor Excel that came with a three-blade cartridge loaded and two twin-blade spare cartridges.  I immediately switched the three-blade for one of the twins.

As you all reported, the resulting shave was much closer, smoother, and with no drag and/or nicks.  The problem, however, is that the replacement cartridges are $18.00 for a ten pack.  Being the cheap bastard that I am, I could not pull the trigger and, consequently, purchased a CVS Brand pack of ten for $7.99.  The test will be to see if the CVS twins are any where near as good as the Gillette twins.  Luckily, Gillette was nice enough to include the two twin cartridges to allow my comparison.

In any event, thank you all for another great tip.  As far as the head is concerned, I am officially through w/disposables.   :popo

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »
I got some Target disposables, it was like rubbing glass shards all over my head.  I tried three times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.  That one hit the trash and the rest of the pack are still in my bathroom door, about a year later. 

I'm sticking with the Mach 3. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 08:11:37 PM »

As you all reported, the resulting shave was much closer, smoother, and with no drag and/or nicks.  The problem, however, is that the replacement cartridges are $18.00 for a ten pack.  Being the cheap bastard that I am, I could not pull the trigger and, consequently, purchased a CVS Brand pack of ten for $7.99.  The test will be to see if the CVS twins are any where near as good as the Gillette twins.  Luckily, Gillette was nice enough to include the two twin cartridges to allow my comparison.

You can get better prices online sometimes.  Try Amazon.  Also bear in mind that the more expensive blades tend to last a little longer, so going with a cheaper knock-off version is often a false economy.

Offline OffcerClancy

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 11:43:21 AM »

You can get better prices online sometimes.  Try Amazon.  Also bear in mind that the more expensive blades tend to last a little longer, so going with a cheaper knock-off version is often a false economy.

With the disposables, I tossed once a week.  Can I use the Gillette twin-blades for two weeks (equals 12 shaves) without problems?

Offline TheImperial

• Puttin' the imp in pimp
    • WillPhillips.org
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »
My only experiences with disposables were early on in my shaving career as a high schooler. If I were to guess, I'd say that my problems were equal parts crappy razor and crappy technique, so who knows?

With that said, I've been happy with the Schick Quattro cartidge. I get a plenty close shave with it and like the ease of being able to basically grip it and rip it without worrying about cutting myself to death with the safety razors and straight razors.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »
Well, I've never used disposables until recently, but I can't say I have anything (yet) against them*.  So far, the "brand" I bought a bag of of ten of (at Target) has only been used to the extent of the first one out of the bag.  It's one with two blades.  I've used it at my gym, on my MWF schedule of swimming and head shaving.  Maybe forty-minutes in the water softens the head's hair particularly well, but I've--so far--four OK to excellent shaves from this first from the bag, and it seems there is more life yet to come from it.  But it may be early days yet.

*Except the ecological one of the waste of the plastic handle that has to be thrown out.

Enter your email address: