Author Topic: The reverse Samson effect  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
The reverse Samson effect
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:41:50 PM »
When I first started shaving my head, I was vaguely aware that to a certain extent, there was a mismatch between my physical appearance and my personality.  During the past few years, I've been told a few times that I look like an ex-military person and more recently, a cop.  I did some boxing at the gym the other day, and in the locker room, a younger guy about 19 or 20 saw my gloves and started a brief conversation about boxing.  He said that I "look like a good boxer" (hopefully he didn't mean the canine variety.   ;D )

None of these perceptions really match my personality, but hearing these types of comments over a period of time has made me aware of the "intimidation factor" that we talk about here from time to time, and I have to admit that it's had a huge effect on my confidence -- in a good way, of course.   We're all guilty to a certain extent of judging books by their covers; I find it fascinating how people will make assumptions based on someone's physical appearance, and even though they may be way off the mark, if you hear it enough times, you find yourself subconsciously taking on some of that persona.

Has anyone else had experiences like this -- being told that you look like something that you really aren't?  What kind of an effect has it had on you?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: The reverse Samson effect
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »
Same thing... although, for whatever reason people have always found me intimidating.

Try getting a couple of visible tattoos and watch that effect soar..............
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
No real change on how people percieve me from what I can tell.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »

That's cause they always thought you were a BAD ASS Schro! O:O
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 10:32:20 PM »
I agree I think ppl think I am meaner, more macho, and more intimidating than I really am... comes in handy sometimes, is a nuisance other times
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 10:58:13 PM »
From time to time people ask me if I do MMA (mixed martial arts) fighting.  I've never been asked that before. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

GASlick

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 10:59:41 PM »
I have to got to be the most NON-intimidating person on the planet!  lol

I've never had anyone think I was a bad ass at all.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 06:38:04 AM »
Guys in the military and in MMA do then to have a disproportional amount of members with bald heads due to regulations and performance issues, so I can kinda see people asking that.  It's still a strange assumption because the look is hardly uncommon outside those areas, and from what I know the American military does not allow guys to have facial hair except for those tiny triangular mustaches.

I've been asked if I was in the marines because I was at an event and when I spoke I held one of my hands behind my back.  I do that a lot.  Self trained.  Years ago I heard the nonsense "Oh, if you cross your arms people think you are trying to close yourself off from others".  Since I have to do SOMETHING with my hands I decided to cross my arms across my back instead.  It has stuck with me, and until that day I never knew this was a military stance.  Now I've noticed military people doing it and sometimes feel like a fraud when I do it!
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline baldaholic

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
I seem to be another most not intimidating person.

No matter what hairstyle - if buzzcutt, clippershaved or shaved - people don't seem to find me intimidating at all.
At least noone said anything like that or reacted intimidated.

Greats

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:07:09 AM »

That's been my experience, except that at first a lot of the people where I worked then said I looked younger O0 O0 O0.  It works for me. :)