Author Topic: High Mileage oil  (Read 1938 times)

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
High Mileage oil
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »
Question for those of you way more mechanically inclined than I am. Just purchased a 1999 Ford F-150 with high miles (266,000) Was a great deal and has eliminated car payments. I don't know much about the history of the truck except I do know the miles are mostly highway miles. I want to change the oil but not to sure which brand or weight to use. I've read a lot of good things on the Ford F-150 forum site about Mobile 1 but thought I would get your input. I live down in South Carolina so it does not get too hot or cold for extended periods. 

Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: High Mileage oil
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »
  I have a similar Ford with same miles...I just spend the 30 bucks and let my mechanic take care of everything.
  But if your a do-it-yourselfer ::   10w-40 name brand will do..........
  Older Fords will drink just about any kind of oil..........WHY ??  cause >>

Offline slyck85

• Sly Jr.
Re: High Mileage oil
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »
The modular engines are pretty bulletproof.  We've got some fleet vehicles at work thats got 300,000+ miles on them with nothing but regular maint.  I agree with arggh, in your area 10w-30 or 10w-40 should do nicely.  If you notice a bit of exhaust smoke after idling (valve seals) for a while you might want to step up to thicker oil, its a common issue with old 4.6L's.  I used Rotella T 15W-40 diesel oil in an old crown victoria after it starting burning oil through the valve seals at 90,000 miles, it went on to a ripe old age of 200,000 before being traded.

honestly, with that kind of mileage I would use any available brand of oil, just stick with the factory oil change intervals and regular maintenance.  I'd be willing to bet the tranny will die LONG before the engine goes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 09:48:36 PM by slyck85 »