Author Topic: What to do about a hair transplant  (Read 11943 times)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What to do about a hair transplant
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 08:07:29 PM »
Welcome Universal! SHame on the doctor that performed a srugery of this type on a 16 year old minor.... and then presccribed Propecia! This person should lose his medical license.

You look great shaved so i would also suggest the 30 day trial. Keep us posted on your thoughts and please continue to ask for help if you feel you need it.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 08:14:57 PM »
Wait, so that scar picture was taken soon after your surgery? One thing about scars is that they tend to look worse early on because they'll often maintain a pink color.  I had a scar on my head that looked pink and rough for a while but when by the time I started shaving my head it took on the color of the surrounding skin.  It's hard to notice now.

Unfortunately, your scar is significant but like I said it's on the back of your head so it's not like you will see it and others will not stare at it while speaking to you because it's on the back.  The reality about scars is that they are the result of a story, and always cause others to wonder what that story is.  With yours, the scar will pretty much tell others what that story is.  No matter how well the scar is revised, it will always be somewhat visible so I think you need to accept that you won't be able to keep your hair transplant history a secret.  I bet once you "reveal" it to others you'll find that they care surprisingly little about it.  

I still recommend finding a way to reduce the scar because that's just the way I am.  I like myself to be the way I have defined myself to be, but work to reduce the scar for YOURSELF and not for the purpose of HIDING YOURSELF from others.

BTW:  You mentioned that the hair is continuing to recede, but how well did the hair look immediately after the surgery?  I'm just kinda curious how it worked in the short term.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline universal

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
Hey Brothers,

Its quite strange. When i first came here and saw all the bald heads it made me feel a little weird. But as i stayed longer and looked around at the avatars my perception has changed. Im seeing you guys for who you are (awesome people)  ;)

Well if anyone was to ask me about propecia i could tell them a story. I was on that drug for 10 years. At first everything was ok and then slowly but surely my soul was taken away. I often felt like i was falling while standing still, the anxiety was so bad. When i spoke to a doctor he mentioned morning erections. It struck me then and there that i had not had a single one for as long as i remember on the drug. (i remember them as a kid). I quit the drug and for about a month i felt like a god as the DHT flowed back into my system. Then it crashed. This is another story though and i dont want to talk about that as much. Im combatting that side of things with exercise and good health, and im noticing improvements. Take propecia at your peril, screwing around with nature is not a good idea.

I do have a positive attitude and that has saved my bacon. Still i cant deny that this next year will be very tough. The scar photo was years and years after the operation mate, so i suppose thats as good as it gets. In all honesty the transplant looked good and my appearance was fine. I looked good but felt bad. Im not ashamed of what happened. Both men and women all across the world fall prey to the lies and pressure of the cosmetic industry. Buddhist monks shave their dead protien off because they are wise enough to know that vanity is not a good thing.

oldfoolwisebaldy

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »

Universal,

I feel your pain.  I like some others on here have been through the HT nightmare.  I have been shaving my head for 5 years. I showed my scars to the world for years.
I had 2 procedures done when I was in my 20's.   Shaving my head in my late 30's set me free.  But here is something maybe others who have not gotten the HT's may not understand. But growing the hair back in on the sides & back , and shaving the HT'S also set me just as free.  This is about embracing going bald and just being alright with your hair loss. Having lived with a bald dome for 5 years , I can't imagine myself with a full head of hair now. I am totally happy with my head being bald it just who I am. That's the horrible part about Doctors preying on someone insecurities so young, for with wisdom they are like the lucky guys here on SBG, truly happy with themself's and confident being bald.
 I am able to grow hair in on the sides and back, covering up that strip scar, I grow in a beard and feel a little like Jason Stathom.
I am considering permanent hair removal for the HT's. I hear there are some good results from electrolisis , even better then laser.
Ironically , I am trying to look the way nature intended the first place.  Here are some pics of my dome with my hair just long enough on the sides & back to cover up the scars. But short enough to look clean & buzzed.

(|8-)

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:11 AM »
Parents who let someone prescribe a powerful drug that interferes with hormones to a developing adolescent have lost any claim that they have enough of a clue to tell you what to do with your body.  That doesn't necessarily mean I think you should do whatever you want, either--this board is great, but I hope you can find someone in real life who can do a better job of guiding you through your teenage years, ideally someone your parents might also respect.  Don't get me wrong--it sounds like you are mature and responsible, but even when they haven't been scrambled with propecia, those hormones and growing pains can throw off anyone. 

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 07:45:52 AM »
Welcome Universal.  I feel your pain.  Personally, I would use the scar to broadcast to the World the down side to HTs. I had a smaller version of the procedure.  Had hair transplanted to my eyebrows.  I have about a three inch scar.  Fortunately, it is down low on the head.  I applaud you for your broadcast of the money grubbing doctors who don't seem to care about the long term effects they have on their patients.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline bartman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 08:14:36 AM »
Hi Universal and welcome,

First I am not going to tell you what you should do but I will say what I would do in your shoes. I would shave it off, it looks good shaved off. As suggested before, grow some facial hair. I would spend some time in the sun, not get a sun burn but see if tanning your head a bit will help. I find a little suntan helps fade things like tattoos and scars. Scars usually fade over time anyway though it may take some time. There is always the dermal options the others suggested but I would see how shaving, a little suntan works out after a few years. The longer you wait to have any procedures the better they become because doctors have more experience and better technology (such as laser you mentioned, which was not available years ago). You talked about transplanting hair to the scar, I don't think I would do that but that is me. On my forhead, I have a 2 inch scar from a water ski hitting me in the head  at 16 years old causing a 3 way split. It was very noticable when I was young but you have a hard time noticing it even on my picture (avatar). During the winter it is a little more noticable, in summer with a litte tan I would have to point it out for you to notice it.

For your dad to pay (I assume at 16 years old) for any procedures or drugs proves to me he was only trying to help you and his own insecurities and ignorance to the consequences caused him to make poor judgements which in the end affected you. I like the bald look so I am biased but I think you should consider it and keep the look for over a month and if I were you I would tan my head a little and see how it looks.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:18:46 AM by bartman »

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 04:59:50 PM »
What to do about a hair transplant? Simple.... don't get one!    O0

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 09:54:29 PM »
What to do about a hair transplant? Simple.... don't get one!    O0
thats kind of an insensitive reply, he obviously already got one so why rub it in?
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 11:13:52 PM »
That was a touching story, good for you for the courage to share it.  I believe the whole idea behind SLY is loving yourself and being happy with who  you are...AND not caring what others think.  I know, those are tough to do.  I think that you are on your way.  Good luck!

Offline universal

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 08:15:41 AM »
Hello there Everyone!

Its good to hear from you all again. Firstly, i apologize for dissapearing for almost a year. At the time of writing my post, i was almost certain that i would continue to go bald. Since then, i don't think i have lost any hair whatsoever. In order to explain how this is possible, i will need to explain Propecia. When someone quits propecia, the DHT floods back into their system. This happened to me in the first month after i quit. I felt a tingling in my scalp, and the DHT caused extremely rapid loss. Then it stopped. The current line of thinking is that propecia somehow turns off 5 Alpha reductase expression, possibly via epigenetic gene changes (I don't understand the science myself). Suffice to say that it means that the drug may permanently change the way the body handles some hormones. This is not good at all. I haven't been here, because my home is the propeciahelp forum. As shitty as my hair problems are, i have to say that propecia's side effects are my true nightmare. Im suffering from Sexual dysfunction and it hurts a great deal. Since the photos, ive lost a lot of weight and i look better. I have plenty of girls interested in me, but i literally cant do it so i remain single.

Anyway, enough about all this negative stuff. My experiences are a perfect example of the folly of vanity and trying to correct hair loss. Not only did i screw with my appearance by having hair transplants, i took a drug which stripped me of what made me a man. I dream of my body turning back on again, and my hair disintegrating. I would then be among your ranks and maybe even at peace. Still, as it is i have no need or desire to go sly as i am happy with my appearance.

Good luck to all

Offline TGB1

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »
Good luck bro in wherever life brings you next.
.....the quiet brightness of the city disconcerts. Somewhere malfeasance percolates. There is work to be done.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 11:34:14 AM »
Hello there Everyone!

Its good to hear from you all again. Firstly, i apologize for dissapearing for almost a year. At the time of writing my post, i was almost certain that i would continue to go bald. Since then, i don't think i have lost any hair whatsoever. In order to explain how this is possible, i will need to explain Propecia. When someone quits propecia, the DHT floods back into their system. This happened to me in the first month after i quit. I felt a tingling in my scalp, and the DHT caused extremely rapid loss. Then it stopped. The current line of thinking is that propecia somehow turns off 5 Alpha reductase expression, possibly via epigenetic gene changes (I don't understand the science myself). Suffice to say that it means that the drug may permanently change the way the body handles some hormones. This is not good at all. I haven't been here, because my home is the propeciahelp forum. As sh*tty as my hair problems are, i have to say that propecia's side effects are my true nightmare. Im suffering from Sexual dysfunction and it hurts a great deal. Since the photos, ive lost a lot of weight and i look better. I have plenty of girls interested in me, but i literally cant do it so i remain single.

Anyway, enough about all this negative stuff. My experiences are a perfect example of the folly of vanity and trying to correct hair loss. Not only did i screw with my appearance by having hair transplants, i took a drug which stripped me of what made me a man. I dream of my body turning back on again, and my hair disintegrating. I would then be among your ranks and maybe even at peace. Still, as it is i have no need or desire to go sly as i am happy with my appearance.

Good luck to all

ugh propecia should be fucking illegal.

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, good luck with wherever you take your life.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 11:44:34 AM »
Find a doctor with a good reputation to help you overcome any side effects.
I hear that raw foods can help you a lot.
Enjoy the blessings you have and NEVER give up seeking a solution to the side effects.
There is always a way out!  It might take a long time but have hope man.  You can do it.
Go to many doctors.

Offline chrome177

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 05:35:33 PM »
Hmmmm hair transplants sound really drastic.  Are you sure you couldn't just use rogaine?

--Matt

Enter your email address: