Author Topic: Those of you with beards...  (Read 25179 times)

Offline DA_Carr

• Learning the way of Sly
Those of you with beards...
« on: October 22, 2009, 08:34:48 PM »
Just curious how many of you have grown beards with the bald head.  How about showing them off?  Curious to see how you transition from bald head to beard.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
Re: Those of you with beards...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »
Working on the full beard for the winter.  I will try to take pictures to show it off.  I think it looks scraggly, but I have received positive comments from the women in the office. 

The trick is getting the inverted sideburns even.  Using a Mach 3 or Fusion, I line the edge of the blade up with the top of my ear until it hits it.  Keep it parallel to the ground and pull up against the grain.Since I am using my ear as a guide, it keeps it even on both side every time.  Then I just need to tidy up the stray hairs on the cheeks and cut the neck to the jawline.

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 04:53:59 AM »
I've had a full mustache and beard since June or so. Plan on keeping it through the winter. One day i just decided to go from just a goatee, to the full beard look and instead of shaving my face, I did my usual headshave, shaved my neck (back and front) and trimmed my goatee down to stubble. Then just went on with my usual weekly shave routine, I just left out shaving my face.

Now I just comb the beard out and trim strays pretty much daily after my shower. I'm really diggin' the bald n' bearded thing. My profile pick is a couple of months old now, so I'll try to get a newer pic taken this weekend and post it.
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 05:45:45 AM »
After about a year of Sly, I started thinking about some facial hair--I had previously had two full beards, one in my twenties and one in my thirties, and a moustache in between.  All lasted about two years. 
Although I really like a full beard, I couldn't figure out how to end the beard and begin the shaved head around the ears.  I looked at a lot of beards on beards.org and finally decided initially on a goatee, a full goatee, not a highly carved design because I didn't have the density to support that. 
I started four times, each time shaving it off after three to four weeks.  Finally this past February I made a three month commitment.  During that time I decided to extend the goat.  Although I initially used color to mask the grey, I developed a skin reaction and decided to go "natural."  After about four months I started getting a lot of good comments and compliments and that continues to this day.  Like a lot of people, I'm vain enough to get a lift out of that. 
That's the history and why of my chin mitten.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
I have a nice grey goat....... that's enough for me......
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 08:01:38 PM »
I stick with my goat. Had a full beard for about 2 weeks with the bald look but it just wasn't for me.
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

hawkeye

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:48:17 PM »
I might try for the full bearded look.  I always trying different looks.  It was easy when I worked from home due to the transitional phase making me look like a bum.  I had to schedule my new looks with vacation/holidays for the past year, so I didn't get nasty looks from the office folk.  But, now that I have been laid off, I have some time to grow it all out.  Nice thing about a full beard is that its like a blank canvas.  Like my dad always said, you can always cut/sand down the excess but you can add to it.  That was woodworking, but it's the same principle with beards. 

Rich 

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »
I might try for the full bearded look.  I always trying different looks.  I have some time to grow it all out.  Nice thing about a full beard is that its like a blank canvas. 

Rich 

Go for it!

Offline TylerLutz

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »

seems to work for me....

The glasses are a good cutting off point for the beard when shaving so its easy for me.

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »

seems to work for me....

The glasses are a good cutting off point for the beard when shaving so its easy for me.

Looks great!  O0
Your profile pic is very nice too!  :D

Offline deadohsky

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 11:45:21 PM »
I started growing my beard before i went sly.  Never considered shaving it off when i shaved the head.  Just enjoyed the beard too much,  go with whatever you are comfortable with.  You'll get used to it;  I've been sly (with the beard) over a month now and it feels completely natural to me. A little apprehensive at first, it 'grew' on me lol.

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 01:21:06 AM »

seems to work for me....

Looks great!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 11:11:45 AM »

seems to work for me....

Looks great!
What he said--but it doesn't work for contacts :D

Bald_freak

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 11:52:31 AM »
I get too itchy with a full beard.

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 11:55:39 AM »
I switch back and forth every year. Beard for cold weather, and goatee for warm weather.