Author Topic: Hats in the cold dont stay on!  (Read 20374 times)

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
Re: Hats in the cold dont stay on!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 08:41:04 PM »
Might just have to stick to an old fashioned fedora.  Those never seem to move on my head.  :)

hawkeye

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 09:30:06 PM »
Not that I don't appreciate the dome out in the open air, but I love hats.  Always have.   It's a shame there are not as many places to try on hats.  Seems without the hair, I went down a size so all my cool hats look too big on my head.  Buying off the internet is no fun.

Rich

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 06:50:25 PM »
If you have a haberdashery nearby, go there and find out your proper hat size.  it will make buying hats on the internet that much more fun and rewarding.

hawkeye

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 08:44:43 PM »
Antimidas,

Good idea!  Also, I never knew what a haberdashery was...I think I've seen one nearby.  Heh.  Learn something new each day.  Then I can try on hats, see what styles I like (not to mention size) and get them cheaper on-line.  It would definitely make buying on the internet more fun. 

Thanks!

Rich

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 04:37:02 AM »
If you have a haberdashery nearby, go there and find out your proper hat size.  it will make buying hats on the internet that much more fun and rewarding.

No one's used that word since Harry Truman left the profession for politics.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »
What a word from the past !!  The store where my grandfather bought his suits and hats (and from the gentleman who probably fitted his grandfather) referred to himself as a "haberdasher". 
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »
We actually have a true men's store in St. Paul called Heimie's Haberdashery (www.heimies.com).  That is where I went for the straight razor shave.  I was not impressed with the shave as Mr. B did most of it with one of those single blade orange Bic disposables and it cost me $28 leaving me with about the equivalent of one day's growth.  They also refused to do a head shave.

They also make suits by hand for about $1000.  You should have seen the look on my face when I saw the price of $350 for a dress shirt!  But they definitely have it all there.  They also are the only place local I have found that sells wet shave gear.  They have a safety razor for $35 which is a great price.  But with the rest of their prices and the crappy shave, it is not going to be a regular hang out for me.

hawkeye

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »
That's too bad, man.  Sounds like they have a host of good services, just can't execute.  That and they sound greedy.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 02:34:07 AM »
Odd man out, again. I have not experienced the problem with hats. I wear BB caps, skullies, boonies, Stormy Kromers (google that one!), and they all keep their place. The next hat I want to get is a wool player from Kangol which, I'm sure, will work fine as well.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline thegilp

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »
Under Armor makes a skull cap type of hat that sticks very well. make sure you get the cold gear version, very thin but extremely warm

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 09:27:40 AM »
They slide up and you just pull them down - -Hate to wear a hat because I like showing off my shinny DOME   - - but I do as it is cold in upstate NY

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 08:14:04 PM »
Don't shave.

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
  • Like Mr Boombastic, I'm semi fantastic!
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 07:04:36 AM »
I have found the exact same problem. 

My solution?  In the winter, wear a hooded top, put the hood up, put the beanie hat over the hood.  Stops the hat slipping and gives you 2 layers of warmth for the head.  Thus...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:07:53 AM by Feenix »

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 02:05:37 PM »
Can't say I've ever had a problem but the only hat I'd typically wear is a beanie or similar.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
Can't say I've ever had a problem but the only hat I'd typically wear is a beanie or similar.
Here's a situation I'm sure many you guys have experienced.

You showup somewhere, meeting new people, wearing either a baseball cap or beanier, etc. The folks who never met you have no idea you're cue-ball bald under the hat. Then,

at some point you remove the hat and get an EXTRA long glance or even stare. Sometimes a smile. Like the other person is thinking:  'holy sh*t you're bald.' After your mini reveal.

Ever have that happen to you?!

Enter your email address: