Author Topic: I am not bald yet, but I am balding and want to preserve my hair!  (Read 13716 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: I am not bald yet, but I am balding and want to preserve my hair!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 05:05:24 PM »
I do not think there is a way to "preserve" your hair.  SOrry bud, if it happens it happens..

No, it can be preserved.  But it has to be kept in a jar.   ^-^

I was going to suggest pressing it in the pages of a book.

When I first went sly in about 2001 I had hair down to my shoulder blades. I sent it to Locks of Love in Florida where they make hairpieces for kids who have lost hair due to cancer treatments. As I look back, and in light of this thread, what better way was there for me to preserve my hair than by giving it to someone else who needed it more than I did.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 05:28:29 PM »
I do not think there is a way to "preserve" your hair.  SOrry bud, if it happens it happens..

When I first went sly in about 2001 I had hair down to my shoulder blades. I sent it to Locks of Love in Florida where they make hairpieces for kids who have lost hair due to cancer treatments. As I look back, and in light of this thread, what better way was there for me to preserve my hair than by giving it to someone else who needed it more than I did.

Here, here!!! What better way? That is preservation for a very worthy cause
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 07:18:57 PM »
[I sent it to Locks of Love in Florida where they make hairpieces for kids who have lost hair due to cancer treatments. As I look back, and in light of this thread, what better way was there for me to preserve my hair than by giving it to someone else who needed it more than I did.

Great thing to do Buddha
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 06:53:12 PM »

Great thought and very nice gesture!   O0

Offline MadMatty

• Sly Guy in Training
  • against the grain, thats insane!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 12:15:13 AM »
mate, just take everyones advice & shave, start small, like #3 on the clippers & work your way down, im the same aged as you & love been bald, head rubs feel great, just watch out for you old folks, they probly wont like it at first. good luck

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »
So let me get this straight, you are 19 (and there's quite a few members here in your age group), you know that you are and eventually go bald, and this obviously worries you (or you wouldn't be here). But your solution is to try to prolong or prevent further hair loss!!! Dude many people here on this forum have been in your shoes and I'm sure after they have taken the plunge themself and shaved their head believe me they are much more confident in themselves and now don't even worry about hair any more. Just go ahead and shave it, try the thirty day challenge, I bet after that you don't go back to growing your hair.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »
Dude many people here on this forum have been in your shoes and I'm sure after they have taken the plunge themself and shaved their head believe me they are much more confident in themselves and now don't even worry about hair any more.

In addition, nearly all of them regret not shaving sooner.

Offline rico

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 10:30:23 PM »
I will eventually choose to be bald but right now I am only 19 years old! My hairline is receding and I'm balding, I want to keep my hair for maybe 4 years, JEEZ! Any tips? thanks.  :*))

Because I'm one of the very newest members here, I will give you some shave-free alternatives.

1) Take Propecia, a prescription drug, to preserve the hair you have. I believe the generic name is finasteride. No jar for your your shorn locks needed.  See your physician for more about this.

2) Use Rogaine, alias minoxidil, to regrow hair on the top of your head. I used minoxidil a long time then took the easy pill route above. Do not do this.  Propecia does not usually regrow hair on the top of your head.  Based on both my experience -- eons in balding years -- and what I've read, minoxidil has to be part of your treatment. A good result with it appears to be a miracle.

You may achieve good enough results with Rogaine(r) alone to skip the finasteride pills altogether.  The problem with Rogaine is you must apply it 2X a day and because you're putting it on a bald spot, it runs off your head like water.  They have a more convenient foam but there is no generic and you'll pay almost $50 a month for that increased application convenience.

Any OTC baldness remedies, no matter how cleverly hyped, that really work contain minoxidil.

The minoxidil route is slightly more time consuming than maintaining your chrome dome through shaving. (Shave 1x per day; apply minoxidil 2x a day.) However, given your age, I do understand why you would choose that approach.

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 10:54:51 PM »
man, I have to say that based on my experience... for years I took everything except propecia which can lead to impotence and other side affects... that you will still possibly if not probably lose hair if that is your genetic designation.
Shaving made me feel a billion times better than trying to hold on to my hair... now I don't even care if ppl know I'm balding, and shockingly alot of ppl still can't tell.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 11:56:52 PM »
DO NOT TAKE PROPECIA!  It has very nasty side effects and is a complete waste of money.  NO, I repeat, NO drug or potion will help you preserve your hair in the long run.  You'll eventually need to face your fate.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »
I will eventually choose to be bald but right now I am only 19 years old! My hairline is receeding and I'm balding, I want to keep my hair for maybe 4 years, JEEZ! Any tips? thanks.  :*))

Strange post for a Head Shaving website.

Offline petree dish

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
you are setting yourself up for more stress and depression by trying to maintain your hair. I know how tuff it is to lose your hair @ 19 (i did too). it seems liike nobody around is in the same boat but once you shave it off its so short nobody will even think about it, including YOU. post a pic now of your hair, then go shave it, and post another pic so we can give you props.

B

Watch the stars turn into nothing

Enter your email address: