Author Topic: Brain Surgery Scar  (Read 17358 times)

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Brain Surgery Scar
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 07:40:26 PM »
Thanks saintc. I guess that I am a little ancy on getting over this thing....but I realize this is a slow slow healing process after this kind of surgery. I spoke to the neurosurgeon and you are right.....he said that it will take about 6 months to a year to completely heal and get everything back to normal. Just kindof a shocker going through this, but hey.....I SURVIVED it!!! Appreciate you and everyone here, you guys are an awesome group of people.

Tony
aka viper3two

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 07:42:50 PM »
 Good Luck ----And Welcome 2 SBG         8)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »
Amazing story!

Unless you grow out your hair to a big puffy perm or get one of those obnoxious "emo" haircuts your scar's going to be visible, so you might as well pick the hairstyle you like the best!  My main concern is how your scar would interfere with a blade.  It looks very raise and you might cut it when shaving.  If it doesn't go down on its own look into having a dermatologist inject it with "stuff" (I think it's collagen) because it causes raised scars to flatten out.  I had a swollen scar near my neck caused by a small surgery and it eventually flattened out after a treatment.

Yea, the location is very unfortunate because it's right there on the front, but it's a lot better than being scar-less and 6' under!  I've heard that the skin of the face has better healing abilities so maybe your scar will reduce itself over time.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 06:18:59 PM »
Thanks argghhh and rusty. I agree, I wouldnt think about getting one of those crazy emo cuts either lol. The thing is now that it is growin out a little, it has thinned and not sure if I should even try to grow it out or just shave it. You are right some of the places are raised a little and I probably would have to use a guard right now. Looks alot better than it did though....Hey tell ya what I will post a picture with a little hair growing out in a little bit and see what ya think about shaving it or letting it go......
Thanks

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 06:42:29 PM »
Ok guys I haven't had my hair -this long- since high school, I usually shave it pretty close, either a 1 or 2 guard. Took these pics tonight of the battlewound. Really not too bad considering what it looked like a few weeks ago, just have a big strip on the side of my head. I wonder if I shave it would it look better or muck it up worse. I really like to have it shaved down but I don't know.....
Here are the pics I took tonight, the front and the side of the incision and the other side where the hair is like it normally is.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
             You do look good with the hair and it hides the scar nicely.........About shaving - it may or may not look better ...Hard too tell unless you give it a try and post some pictures...Would be nice too have another top notch member on SBG........... 8)

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »
LOL I may just shave it, gonna give it a little while longer to see what it does, I swear I don't like having my hair this long, although it is really not long, but I am used to it shaved down. Might have to get used to this.... :-\

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »
LOL I may just shave it, gonna give it a little while longer to see what it does, I swear I don't like having my hair this long, although it is really not long, but I am used to it shaved down. Might have to get used to this.... :-\

Looks like you have to pick one of three options:
1) Shave your head and let the scar show
2) Keep your hair short and let the scar show
3) Hide the scar entirely with an emo haircut.

Since the emo haircut out of the question, then you're going to have to deal with a visible scar no matter what.  So in that case you might as well keep your hair in whatever style you want since it's not going to affect the scar.

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 08:59:45 PM »
Thanks Rusty..... O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »
It doesn't look too bad in that photo at all -- a lot better than the previous photo you posted.  I'd keep the hair for now, as it camouflages the scar nicely.  Maybe in a year or so, if the scar fades, you might want to try shaving it again. 

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 10:02:24 PM »
It doesn't look too bad in that photo at all -- a lot better than the previous photo you posted.  I'd keep the hair for now, as it camouflages the scar nicely.  Maybe in a year or so, if the scar fades, you might want to try shaving it again. 

I don't see how the hair hides anything.  For the most part the hair seems to be laid in the direction of the scar meaning that the hair isn't masking anything.  It's possible that a shaved head might be more invisible because the way it is now there's a small island of hair separated by the scar.  To me this seems like one of those "6 of one, half dozen of another" or "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations since neither mask the scar.   

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »

I don't see how the hair hides anything.  For the most part the hair seems to be laid in the direction of the scar meaning that the hair isn't masking anything.  It's possible that a shaved head might be more invisible because the way it is now there's a small island of hair separated by the scar.  To me this seems like one of those "6 of one, half dozen of another" or "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations since neither mask the scar.   

Nobody said that the scar was hidden, but that it is less prominent with the hair grown in around it.  It was a lot more visible in the previous photo he posted, with the hair buzzed short.

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 10:35:08 PM »
Razor and rusty, thanks both you guys and by no means I don't want to get a war going here lol.....that's just exactly what I am trying to figure out. Sure either way won't hide it completely, and sure....I hate having long hair, but not sure which way looks better. I will probably let it go for another few weeks and see which way looks better. I am surprised really at the top, heck I don't even see it there at the top anymore, just on the side of the head. And that is what I am trying to figure out what to do with. Those first pics were 1 week after surgery, those tonight are now 6 weeks after surgery.   
But either way I appreciate the feedback from you guys on this, it's helping me out alot and building confidence. I was freaked out really bad when all this happened but you guys have made me have another take on the confidence issue, and I appreciate it...really do.
Tony

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 10:12:11 AM »
This is the very rare occasion where I would say to keep your hair IF the scar being visible bothers you. It will be visible shaved or not but it does not look bad at all with the hair and may be MORE visible shaved.

Either way.... you strike me as a guy that is going to be comfortale with yourself. Good for you and for realizng what it is in life that is REALLY important..... and that would be LIFE itself.........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
Remarkable improvement, and I know that provides you with some relief.  You probably are going to be able to do anything you want, no evidence of mpb to speak of, so in a few months, you might want to go with something new.  Relax, let your body heal, your spirit strengthen.  Too often we pray for something, I'm sure the Almighty likes a few "Thank you" and "Good Job" notes too.  I know you have, as have many of us. 

Enter your email address: