Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 18320 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What to do?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »
thanks everyone for your replies so far.I'm going through with it and growing the beard out.My goatee is getting really bushy, it's about 6 weeks of growth.The rest of the beard is about 8 days.My goal is to grow the goatee to another months length aas well as the beard.gonna give my stache and goatee a more striking look compared to the rest of my beard.I'll post a new pic when I acheive this look!Kinda cool trying out this bald/longer bearded look.Never thought id get the chance to rock this look

The full beard looks good, but the goatee also looks good, so it's a win-win situation.  It's worth experimenting a bit to see what you like the best.  If you don't like something, it's instantly correctable by trimming it back or shaving back to a goatee.

Offline Iconic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 06:13:23 AM »
Just wanted to tell that this thread inspired me to try growing a full beard. A lot of patience is needed in my case, but I'm intrigued to see if it's going to look any better in future. Meaning thicker & fuller.  Right now it's not a pretty sight.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 06:16:50 AM »
Just wanted to tell that this thread inspired me to try growing a full beard. A lot of patience is needed in my case, but I'm intrigued to see if it's going to look any better in future. Meaning thicker & fuller.  Right now it's not a pretty sight.

Time, it takes lots of time, 3 months minimum, preferably 6, before you can judge what it will look like.  It's trying during the first month or two, because you know what you want, but you just have to let it grow to show you what it can be.  15 minutes to Sly, 6 months to a beard--it's just a fact.  Good luck, you will find out what is best for you.  Look at the galleries in beard.org to see a large selection of beards so you have a good perspective. 

adam_r_todd

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 07:02:13 AM »
Chilpill -- the pics posted by Rusty are awesome.  Go for the full beard.  It looks great on you.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »
Iconic, from your avatar you look to have quite a heavy beard, so I can't imagine it would take you long to have something decent.  I am already jealous of what you have.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

HoodooMan

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 06:46:41 PM »
i'm with stu! no facial hair for me! i'm 25 and i can't even grow a goat. i hope one day it'll all thicken up, but i have bad genes for facial hair so i doubt it!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 02:24:19 PM »
My problem is not that I can't grow it (except in the middle of my chin).  My problem is I always compare myself to others - usually the ones who look like they need to shave a half hour after they did... really heavy, dense facial hair.  Since I can't have that, eventually I shave it all off again.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »
My problem is not that I can't grow it (except in the middle of my chin).  My problem is I always compare myself to others - usually the ones who look like they need to shave a half hour after they did... really heavy, dense facial hair.  Since I can't have that, eventually I shave it all off again.

Patience is the name of the game when it comes to growing facial hair.  It's very difficult to persevere through the early scruffy stages.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »
Patience is the name of the game when it comes to growing facial hair.  It's very difficult to persevere through the early scruffy stages.

That's not entirely true.  If you don't have the hair follicles, you don't have the hair follicles.  No amount of time will ever make up for having bad genes.  Some guys get blessed with amazing density while others get medicore density that can be presentable when the hairs get longer, and others get stuck with crap.  For those guys time simply makes crap into longer crap.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 08:01:06 AM »

That's not entirely true.  If you don't have the hair follicles, you don't have the hair follicles.  No amount of time will ever make up for having bad genes.  Some guys get blessed with amazing density while others get medicore density that can be presentable when the hairs get longer, and others get stuck with crap.  For those guys time simply makes crap into longer crap.

There are dormant hairs on the face that cycle back on--as this happens over a period of several months--six to eight--the beard will become thicker because you'll get the full advantage of hairs that have reached the terminal stage, i.e. they don't grow but neither do they fall out.  That will be the maximum density.  Physically, you can't judge what a beard will look like at a month, you can shape it, but it will continue to mature for at least six months before a final determiination of the density can be made.  If at that point your beard isn't sufficient to support the look nothing can be done.  Another point, when you're in the process of growing a beard, you are you're own worst critic--you need to look at fully developed beards as a standard, not your own in isolation. 

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »

There are dormant hairs on the face that cycle back on--as this happens over a period of several months--six to eight--the beard will become thicker because you'll get the full advantage of hairs that have reached the terminal stage, i.e. they don't grow but neither do they fall out.  That will be the maximum density.  Physically, you can't judge what a beard will look like at a month, you can shape it, but it will continue to mature for at least six months before a final determiination of the density can be made.  If at that point your beard isn't sufficient to support the look nothing can be done.  Another point, when you're in the process of growing a beard, you are you're own worst critic--you need to look at fully developed beards as a standard, not your own in isolation. 

That's true, but if you have a thin or bald spot on your face it's still going to be thin or nearly bald if it has some dormant hairs in that space.  The dormant hairs can enhance the density, but they aren't going to work miracles.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »

That's true, but if you have a thin or bald spot on your face it's still going to be thin or nearly bald if it has some dormant hairs in that space.  The dormant hairs can enhance the density, but they aren't going to work miracles.

I wasn't talking about miracles, I was talking about the time it takes for a beard to mature to its full potential, then the guy decides whether it's a plus, minus or a neutral to his appearance.  Hopefully, if he wants to sport some facial hair, the growth with permit him to do some type of display.  Again, miracles--NO, patience--YES. 

Offline deadohsky

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 11:18:38 PM »
From the pictures you posted chillpil5, looks like you have the genetics for a great beard.  From my avatar, you can probably guess where i stand on the topic.  I can't imagine shaving my beard off, i love it.  The only problems i have with it are deciding on how to trim it.  I i like to have a nice full beard but not 'scruffy' looking. I usually keep it at about a two or three setting on my clippers.

Offline hasting316

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2009, 06:08:07 AM »
Summer time I wear a goatee. I work at a inland shipyard on the Miss. River and it get's COLD in the winter. I always start my full beard on the first of October and don't go back to a goatee until spring. It looks rough and rugid. I love it. Plus it keeps my face and neck warm. Give it a try.