Author Topic: This receding hairline is making me feel horrible. Need some advice.  (Read 47500 times)

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
Re: This receding hairline is making me feel horrible. Need some advice.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 08:43:12 PM »
I'm with Marty22, gotta shave it atleast to see how you like it.
I was in your situation a year and a half ago.... Now I'm rejuvenated and loving life more than ever.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »
Drew, you're overthinking this.  First, you've got the first signs of mpb--and that means one day, possibly sooner than you think you'd like, you're going to be bald.  That's a hard fact.  Question, does the balding control you or you control the balding?  Most of us w/ mpb just got out in front of it and haven't looked back.  You can wait for nature to do it, or you can--it's really that simple. 

Offline Manta Ray

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 07:58:34 PM »
Hey, I've got nothin' but compliments since I shaved (mostly from women) so just go ahead, you won't be sorry!

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 03:40:31 AM »
drew i was in the same situation six years ago, in january 2004, i went to a number 2 buzz, then in march i went to a number 1 buzz, in april of 2004, i was bic'd for the first time, i did the 90 day rule, and in late June of 2004, i decided to keep it clean,

I'd bic it if i was you

jimhend

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »
hey bite the bullet.. it will be well worth it.  Go for the buzz and trust me you will get your confidence back.
The worst times that I have had with my thinning hair is when I have let them grow out enough and then worry about em

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 03:51:47 PM »
Without seeing any pictures, it's impossible to know how advanced your hair loss is -- but even if you're only in the early stages, the best thing you can do is shave it clean.  Even if you're not ready for full-time permanent baldness, give it a try for a month or two.  It will grow back and when the day comes when you do have to shave your dome clean forever, it will be much less scary.  I really wish I'd shaved my head about 10 years earlier and short-circuited the whole long, drawn out balding process.

I realize that this may not be what you want to hear, but it is what you need to hear.

Offline drew411

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 07:08:21 PM »
well guys, im going off to the barber shop in a bit...Thanks so much for the advice.  I just cant stand this ridiculous hair now......I truly wish i could keep my long hair but its just not happening with my receding temples and very whispy bangs.  I realize im just fooling myself with my hats/beanies and my long hair growing out underneath it.

I thought growing it long would cover up up front, but no way.  My bangs are whispy and the back of my hair is thick...looks way too awkward, especially since i have a big forehead.  I dont know why I grew it out again, but im no longer going to do that.

I still don't have the courage to go full sly yet...later im sure of it, but I still do have hair on top.  Im just gonna have to get use to going to the barber every 2 weeks or so to get a number 1.

I want to be myself and not have to wear hats/beanies all the damn time.  The girl im seeing has been asking to see me without my hat but ive been hesitating...so id rather show her with the number 1 buzzcut than the horrible hair i have now....thanks once again for all your replies, i appreciate it!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 09:26:52 PM »
Good move O0.  One caution, I only lasted three days at #1--just had to feel it to the bone.  So nice, really so nice--maybe that's where you're headed?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »
Good move O0.  One caution, I only lasted three days at #1--just had to feel it to the bone.  So nice, really so nice--maybe that's where you're headed?

#1 can be a bit of a shock the very first time.  It seems very bald until you get used to it -- which really only takes a day or two.  But if you're that short anyway, it's a good opportunity to take it down to the skin.  It grows back to #1 length in 6 or 7 days.  You'll come to that conclusion on your own timetable, but if giving you a little nudge is helpful -- why postpone the inevitable?  Just let it happen.

I also went shorter in stages; I understand how difficult it can be to go sly all at once.  But the problem with a #1 is that it really doesn't conceal the receded hairline.  It does make it look better, but it's still there facing you every time you look in the mirror. Eventually you'll come to terms with the fact that you're destined to be bald.  Once you accept that and realize that resistance is futile, it's a lot easier to let go of your hair completely.  The peace of mind that comes with shaving your head clean is priceless.

Offline surfboardnyc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 08:19:37 AM »
I went shorter and shorter gradually.  I buzzed it to a "zero" on top and "skin" on the sides for at least a year before I went sly.  The funny thing is that once I went completely sly, I stopped wearing beanies or hats, I just felt better without them.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 12:44:17 PM »
saintc is correct.  The urge to go all the way is hard to contain.  I started going shorter and shorter.  Then I realized I could buy my own clippers and do the same thing at home for free because all you do is put on the attachment and buzz all over - all 1 length.  But it wasn't long before I said, 'screw it, I have to know what it looks like slick.  I'm almost there anyway.'  That was 5 years ago this month, perhaps even this very day - I can't remember which day in October it was - pretty sure it was the 3rd week.  Good luck!
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »
Drew, you GOTTA shave it. YOU MUST!

You will be a new man, I promise you. Quit stalling and just do it. You can thank us after.
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes