Author Topic: Cash 4 Clunkers  (Read 3596 times)

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Cash 4 Clunkers
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
  Well :: Last week i was told i can no longer use the huge vacant lot next too our office..We were using it too park our company and personal trucks for about 6 years now..Looks like the President needed somewhere too park all the clunkers he bought with your tax money..Upon removing our equipment the lot was immediately fenced and the clunkers started rolling in....The guy in charge of the clunkers said 1000 cars will be inventoryed and held there before being sent too the crusher..He also said it was a shame the motors had too be wrecked because most of them were nice running vehicles.. O`well.......
   He also said it would be about 8 months for the process too finish and the lot could be mine again . yippee !
   Anyone here take advantage of the $4500 and trade in your old used truck or car ?? >> Not me <<  My beater Ford suits me just fine for work..............

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:19:24 PM by aarrggh »

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Cash 4 Clunkers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 04:37:42 PM »
Don't get me started, glad our dealership only took in three
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 05:19:08 PM »
A lot of good cars are going down the tube ...  A friend recently arranged to give an car to a family in need.  They had originally thought about doing a "Cash For Clunker" trade, but were horrified when they found the car, though older but low milage and in excellent condition, would be "meeting its maker".  Rather than a scrap yard, it is now providing a well-deserving person wheels to and from work
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 05:53:00 PM by wpruitt »
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 05:36:21 PM »
I'm with ya bros...me and my 1998 Ford F 150 are doing just fine O0 O0 O0
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
Why not send them overseas?

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
I'm with ya bros...me and my 1998 Ford F 150 are doing just fine O0 O0 O0
Give that man a medal.

....The cash for clunkers program is a joke, 'nuf said!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:35:20 PM by ShadowSide »

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 12:00:23 AM »
Ought to donate them to charities who give cars to needy people so they can find work.

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 04:11:31 AM »
I recently attended an open forum with a local Congressman who is a part of the House of Representatives.  He said  (and I'm paraphrasing at best) if you want to really affect matters, contact your state's Senators.  Since there are only 2 per state, they have more clout when it comes to voting and making things happen (more bang for the buck, or letter).  So contact those that made the program a reality and suggest another "green" solution (that seems to be a current buzz word) like giving the vehicles to the government of Mexico, or some place that needs them.  However, they will have their carbon footprint somewhere else in the world; instead of here.  ;)

Offline Baldboss

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 05:08:57 PM »
they will have their carbon footprint somewhere else in the world; instead of here.  ;)
That may have been the stated purpose of the program, but IMO, it was to spur sales for the Fed Car Companies.  I'm guessing it didn't work too well as I heard on the radio today that taxpayers are going to have to pony-up more money for Chrysler.  ::)

Offline Larry

• Sly Jr.
    • http://www.theelectroniccigarettecompany.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »
The whole program was weird.  I found it cheaper to rebuild my old junk than to trade it in on a new junk so right now the wife and I are riding around with our old junks with money in our pockets instead of paying two hefty car loans.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 09:12:19 AM »
The whole program was weird.  I found it cheaper to rebuild my old junk than to trade it in on a new junk so right now the wife and I are riding around with our old junks with money in our pockets instead of paying two hefty car loans.

Sounds like a pretty good self-stimulus package
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 10:54:11 PM »
I just received the following info in an email.  Does this sound right to you?  :/O
A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.  
A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.  

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

They claim 700,000 vehicles – so that's 224 million gallons / year.  
That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.  

5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's US consumption.  
And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars  at $75/bbl.

So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion to save $350 million.
How good a deal was that ???

Does this math work??  :D

Offline Baldboss

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 06:32:19 AM »
Does this math work??  :D
The math does work, but there's one problem...there's not a 100% conversion of oil to gas, so the actual barrels saved would be more.  It depends on a lot of things but 30% coversion would be good, equating to 15MM bbl, or about $1B worth of oil.  Of course, the other products from the oil (diesel, lubricants, plastic precursors, etc) would reduce the $1B expenditure.

Regardless, I agree with the basic thought - the taxpayer got the shaft again.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 06:22:01 PM »
             Just thought i`d update this topic since i see these cars everyday.........
    These cars and trucks are no longer going too be crushed...A small percentage of these will be saved--but  
    ALL of the rest will be completely parted out and sold - because thats where the big money is--And of coarse it is ALWAYS about the money.......good or bad -heck if i know........
           I looked these vehicles over and i kinda got my eye on this red Jeep-watcha think....its a NICE Jeep but ........

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:59:41 PM by aarrggh »

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 05:39:06 PM »
I looked these vehicles over and i kinda got my eye on this red Jeep-watcha think....its a NICE Jeep but ........
Sweet ... Ask BaldRob; he's the Jeep Man
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt