Author Topic: Double Edged/"Safety" Razors?  (Read 10155 times)

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Double Edged/"Safety" Razors?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 12:39:24 AM »
Hello all. I recently started shaving my head again and am interested in using a double edged or safety razor (I'm looking at this particular model).

What I'd like to know is if there are any members here who use or have used one of these and how it worked out for them. I know it takes longer to shave than with a modern cartridge razor, but what I'd really like to know is how it works out when shaving the back of the head.
I use a de every day!  I have a 1927 Gillette Bostonian I got off ebay for 9 bucks.  It's in good condition and is silver plated.  I bought a pack of 100 bic blades for $19 from http://www.westcoastshaving.com.  It doesn't get any better than this!  I started by shaving my face but still used the headblade on my scalp but after shaving my scalp one day, I decided to try running my de over my head so I lathered up and went through the motions of shaving my head.  I heared the popping of the remaining nubs and have been shaving this way ever since.  A preshave with the headblade makes it easier but I've shaved many times from a cold start.  Use no pressure at all and take your time getting used to the razor and let the blade do the work and you'll be fine.

You guys are freakin dog-gone nuts !!.....the initial idea of applying a DE to the head is just for the brave and bold but practice makes perfect, I'm just trying not the fathom the idea of butchering your scalp with a DE but slicing your head with the headblade isnt fun either which is why if I do sustain any more wounds from a razor device it'll be the headblade and thats it.

Offline crazy.irish.celt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 06:54:39 AM »
Just ordered one of these.  http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/6460096.htm

I remember seeing something similar in my dad's collection of blades/knives.  He always said it was a better shave than these "newfangled jobs", but it was too hard to find the blades for it anymore (he is leary of internet commerce so he'd never look here).  I always thought he was just being biased, but apparently not after what I have read in various DE razor discussions.  More time for a better shave just makes sense... and saving money is ALWAYS a good thing.

Offline Larry

• Sly Jr.
    • http://www.theelectroniccigarettecompany.com/
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 09:23:18 AM »
Actually shaving my head with a DE is easier than shaving my face because the surface is more uniform.  I've never cut my scalp with a DE razor but if I ever do, it won't be any worse than a cut from a disposable cartridge because the blade hardly sticks out at all and would be easier to get razor burn than an actual cut from a DE.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 02:25:46 PM »
The straight razor professional job was a waste of money.  $28 and he made a single pass with the grain with a straight razor, then a second pass against the grain with a schick single blade disposable plastic job.  I still had about a day's worth of stubble and could have done the job much better myself with a single pass using a fusion, safety razor or any other instrument.  I am glad they backed out of the head shave and only charged me for the face.  Good bonding time with dad, but that was about it.

Offline crazy.irish.celt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 05:51:34 AM »
Just tried out my new DE safety razor yesterday.  My feelings on it are mixed. 

It took me a little while to get used to the requisite curving motion, since the head doesn't pivot like on a Fusion.  Also, I tried the recommended shorter strokes.  It gave me the same smoothness as a 5-blade razor, but it burned a little right after the fact.  Also, I got some irritation by the next day, though not nearly as bad as I might see with the Fusion. 

I used shaving gel rather than the mug/soap/brush lather b/c the soap tends to dry my skin out. I doubt that really made much of a difference.  Either way, I like it and I plan on using it for a while to see if my face gets used to it.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 10:55:37 AM »
I prefer the traditional wet shave myself.  It seems to stand the hairs up better to get a closer cut.  I like the gels also, but nothing is like the traditional.  I have voewed to never use canned stuff again.

Offline cooncatbob

• Sly
    • Bob'sRazor Works
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 07:14:18 PM »
The head blade can carve out a large chunk of meat if your not careful.
I've been shaving my head with a DE for several years, my weapon of choice is one of my custom handles paired with a replated Gillette NEW head with long comb, the turned over combs are very comfortable against the head and make maintaining proper blade angle easy.