Head Shaving, Grooming & Care > Safety Razor Head Shaving

Double Edged/"Safety" Razors?

(1/5) > >>

fatbert:
Hello all. I recently started shaving my head again and am interested in using a double edged or safety razor (I'm looking at this particular model).

What I'd like to know is if there are any members here who use or have used one of these and how it worked out for them. I know it takes longer to shave than with a modern cartridge razor, but what I'd really like to know is how it works out when shaving the back of the head.

Dan-O-Mite:
It takes alot of getting used to when it comes to DE razors, blade angle and not using pressure are key.

I advise try using on your face first and get used to using it there first, after that, you might consider using it on your head, maybe try baby steps into it, like just try shaving the sides at first with the DE using the 3 pass technique and go from there

hope this helps

Larry:
I use a de every day!  I have a 1927 Gillette Bostonian I got off ebay for 9 bucks.  It's in good condition and is silver plated.  I bought a pack of 100 bic blades for $19 from http://www.westcoastshaving.com.  It doesn't get any better than this!  I started by shaving my face but still used the headblade on my scalp but after shaving my scalp one day, I decided to try running my de over my head so I lathered up and went through the motions of shaving my head.  I heared the popping of the remaining nubs and have been shaving this way ever since.  A preshave with the headblade makes it easier but I've shaved many times from a cold start.  Use no pressure at all and take your time getting used to the razor and let the blade do the work and you'll be fine.

Dan-O-Mite:
hmm thats something to consider....trim it down first with the catridge and then clean it up with the DE....I might try this sometime

Antimidas:
Just got my Merkur Vision in the mail today.  Can't wait to try it out.  But I think I will follow Dan-O-Mite's advice and get used to it on my face first.  Only when I become proficient will I move to the head with it.

I did buy a variety of blades:  Lord Platinum Class, Feather New Hi-Stainless, Gillette Super Silver and Merkur  Super Platinum.  Anyone out there have recommendations for decent inexpensive blades?  The whole goal is to stop throwing money away on Fusion and Mach 3 blades.

Eventually, I will move back to the straight razor and stop spending money on blades altogether.  But it will take much more time to get familiar with that whole process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version