Author Topic: What are they thinking????  (Read 2870 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
What are they thinking????
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:18:36 AM »
Has the management of the Eagles lost their minds?  Second chance???? BS.  I like this headline--Philadelphia Daily News headline was an eye-opener: Hide Your Dogs.

NFL management is all about $$$, and if Eagles fans don't do something it will be a shame.  The owners of the league are all money grubbers, they'd probably have dog fights if they could up the cost for tickets. 

JMO, but I love dogs.  I forgive, but don't forget--letting this jerk back implies the fans are supposed to forget.  As the old south said, "Forgit, Hell!"

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
Re: What are they thinking????
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 10:31:18 AM »
"To say I can forgive, but I cannot forget is to say I cannot forgive."  -- Unknown

Mom used to have that on the side of the refrigerator.  Personally, I say it is bullshit.  I do not forgive Michael Vick.  That was not a behavior or attitude that can be reformed out a person.  And our prison system was never designed for reform, so to think that he is somehow a changed man is a wet dream.

I can't control what the NFL does, but I can certainly decide to not watch any games.  Heck.  As long as you are in the NFL, you can apparently drive drunk and kill people, torture animals and even shoot yourself in the ass if you are so inclined.  It's "character building."

I know if I ever run across the man, my dog would be more than happy to gut him like a rabbit.  Trust me.  That is not a pretty site.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »
I'm a dog lover too.....did rescue for 9 years.

I have mixed emotions on this one. He did pay his debt to society so he really should have the opportunity to get on with his life and earn a living at his skill. HOWEVER....... if the Ravens had signed him I would have sent a letter off to the management stating my distaste for the situation.

I know that's playing both sides of the net but as I said.... it's a tough one.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:58:34 PM »
I'm a dog lover too.....did rescue for 9 years.

I have mixed emotions on this one. He did pay his debt to society so he really should have the opportunity to get on with his life and earn a living at his skill. HOWEVER....... if the Ravens had signed him I would have sent a letter off to the management stating my distaste for the situation.

I know that's playing both sides of the net but as I said.... it's a tough one.

Paying you debt to society is one thing, but to be put back in a privileged position after behavior that has been demonstrated w/o question to be beyond society's acceptable bounds means that he can work, certainly, but not at a privileged level--selling popcorn, sweeping up the parking lot, cleaning the latrines, but on the field as a symbol of the team and city--too F'g far for me. 

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »
The fans of Philly and Michael Vick deserve each other.
Remember, this group once booed Santa Claus.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »
Oh give it a rest. This is about Vick and the Eagles. Let's not start insulting the fans. Eagles fans are no better or worse than any other team. Have you  been to a Giants game at the Meadowlands recently.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 03:23:45 PM »
Oh give it a rest. This is about Vick and the Eagles. Let's not start insulting the fans. Eagles fans are no better or worse than any other team. Have you  been to a Giants game at the Meadowlands recently.

I don't understand, do actually support this move by the Eagles or are you just making an exception for the fans?

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 03:46:55 PM »
No I don't support it. The deal was made between the Eagles managemt and Michael Vick, the fans were not consulted and didn't have anything to do with it so why start insulting them.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 03:49:28 PM »

I don't understand, do actually support this move by the Eagles or are you just making an exception for the fans?

What part don't you understand.?

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 08:08:44 PM »
I don't fault the fans.  And we knew it was only a matter of time before he showed up somewhere.  After the Brett Favre drama, I am just clad that the Vikes did not decide to take him on.  I do find it admirable that Tony Dungee is mentoring him, but there would be mo love lost if he went the way of his victimized dogs.  Don't get me wrong.  I hate PETA.  And the fact that the Humane Society hired him as a spokesperson after his release disgusts me.  This is purely the responsibility of the NFL at large.  I just don't have to support them or their sponsors by attending or watching the games or buying those sponsor's products.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 11:57:19 PM »
This is funny!  I saw the title of this thread after clicking the "Show new posts" link.  I noticed it was in sports and knew this had to be about Michael Vick.  How funny that I was right.

I'm all for giving someone a second chance, but only when there's a sign that the person actually regrets their decision.  I don't get that from Vick.  I get the impression that he only regrets getting caught and now he's being coached on what to say so that he can get back to playing football. 

He also triggered one of my pet peeves when he mentioned that he made a mistake.  Sorry Vick, but a mistake is when you're following a map and accidentally turn west instead of east or you pick up the 4:3 version of a movie instead of the widescreen disc.  A mistake is when you accidentally perform an action that you had not intended to do.  Training dogs to fight, and then brutally killing the ones who did not perform in a style reminicent of a serial killer is not a mistake because it's too premeditated and spans too much time.  It's the embodiment of being absent of character, or even a soul.  (BTW: I'm not a dog person.) 

And I mean it when I say people deserve a second chance and to a naive extreme.  I employed someone who I knew had a drug problem in the past but I also knew he completed a drug treatment plan.  I wanted to help him out, and he was actually a great worker, until I discovered he stole hundreds of dollars form me.  It turned out he used that money to buy drugs.  So, yea, I really operate under the believe people deserve a second chance and I should probably be embarrassed by that.  :(

Oh well.  In the end he has signed with the Philadelphia bEagles instead of a real football team.  Maybe the shame of having to settle for the bEagles in order to be in the NFL is more of a punishment than his prison sentence.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 07:18:08 AM »

Oh well.  In the end he has signed with the Philadelphia bEagles instead of a real football team.  Maybe the shame of having to settle for the bEagles in order to be in the NFL is more of a punishment than his prison sentence.
[/quote]

WOW, that's pretty cynical. What did the Eagles ever do to you.?

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 01:27:38 PM »

WOW, that's pretty cynical. What did the Eagles ever do to you.?

I spent about 30 years in Philly.  bEagles this, bEagles that, and every weekend I sat around with the TV showing the latest bEagles game only to see them lose week after week after week.  I swear if there was a way for that team to lose more than 100% of the games they played they would have found a way.   

I got so sick of hearing "Yea, we (as if the person was a member of the team) didn't make it this year, but just wait until next year!"  Whatever.

Eventually in the late 90s I had a realization that I didn't have to waste my time watching football on the weekends and it was very liberating.  Aside from Superbowls that I enjoy watching for the commercials, I don't think I've watched more than a handful of games in a decade and I don't even live in Philly anymore. 

I was very offended a few years ago when the bEagles were in the Superbowl because it just seemed like a slap in the face on the sport.  It also felt like the earth was off it's axis or I was in the mirror universe with the goateed Spock.  Fortunately the bEagles found a way to screw it up and the universe was restored.

I know it's silly to have such passionate hate against that team especially since the turnover rate in these teams is so high.  The bEagles of 2003 were not the bEagles of 1997 and not the bEagles to come.  But I still have this burning hatred for them in my soul.  Is that wrong?   >:D

And then there's a reason with more substance.  These crybabies were whining about their stadium about 10 years ago and actually threatened to leave if the city and state of PA didn't pay for a huge chunk of their new stadium.  I would given them a map to the fastest way out of the state.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Baldboss

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »
What does this say about Pete Rose?  IMO he's a better athelete than Vick.  I guess he should have mugged someone, robbed a liquor store, or slaughtered some dogs.  He could have paid his debt to society and been back in the high life. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 03:37:43 PM »
What does this say about Pete Rose?  IMO he's a better athelete than Vick.  I guess he should have mugged someone, robbed a liquor store, or slaughtered some dogs.  He could have paid his debt to society and been back in the high life. 

Very good point!  I think this may be explained by the relative greed of the NFL owners and that of the baseball leagues owners.  Vick not only gambled on the dogs, if they didn't perform he exorcised his anger on the dogs in a cruel and heartless fashion.  I know what I'd like to see done w/ the electrical equipment--his voice would be much higher.