Author Topic: Head injury created lump: What is it?  (Read 6276 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Head injury created lump: What is it?
« on: July 25, 2009, 03:48:56 PM »
A few months ago I was called in to clean a bathroom that potentially had hazardous heroin needles contaminating it.  Towards the middle of the cleanup I was washing the lower part of the wall, stood up, and was hit over the head with a baseball bat.  OK, technically I wasn't hit by a baseball hat but it felt like it.  I actually drove my head directly into the exhaust pipe of one of those hot-air hand dryers.  It hurt like hell, and it bled for at least 24 hours if not more.

That was March.  It has long since finished its halfa** healing, and now I have a spot of skin that doesn't tan like the rest and has fewer hairs growing in it, but the worst part is that I have a permanent lump there.  You can hardly see it, but I can feel it.  My scalp skin is very tight, but I think the lump is actually underneath the skin.  At the very least it is not a lump on the surface caused by scarring.  If I had cracked my skull would it actually heal like that with a lump?

Anyone else get a scalp wound like this?  What is it, and what can be done to fix it?  Are their such things as bone sanders?  (Yes, I would consider doing that if it could return me to normal!)  Can the soft tissue of the scalp make a hard lump like that?  I see a my dermatologist sometime in the future for a routine exam so I plan to ask him.

You don't know me, but I know you.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Head injury created lump: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 03:53:14 PM »
BTW:  I wonder if shaving the scalp make the head more vulnerable to injury because I find myself hitting a lot.  It's like my brain thinks my body stops at the top of my eyes.  It makes me wonder if scalp hair acts a little like a cat's whiskers in that the hairs are constantly responding to wind, nearby objects, and other things and tells the brain what's going on.  With having a bare head I wonder if that information is lost and the brain "forgets" that part of the body exists.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »
Sounds like a keloid scar.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »
Thunder stolen!

And yeah, I swear that a bald head attracts mishaps -- or at least it would seem so. There was that time I stood up right into a fluorescent light fixture...  luckily no scarring, but it took a long time to heal.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 01:45:22 PM »
Maybe that exhaust pipe is stuck in the back of your head..? Just a thought~might want too check it out  :D

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:04:17 PM »

I looked that up and I don't think that's what I have.  The surface of the skin looks more-or-less normal while those keloid scars seem to be shiny and large.  From what I read and saw in the pics the keloid lump seems to be on the top of the skin while my lump feels like it might be underneath.  If I move the skin with my finger it seems like the lump might be staying in place as if it's attached to something underneath, but since my skin barely moves it's hard to tell.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:05:48 PM »
Maybe that exhaust pipe is stuck in the back of your head..? Just a thought~might want too check it out  :D

:*))

I hit it hard enough that your answer makes sense, but I looked at the pipe afterwards and it was all there, including a piece of skin!