Author Topic: Should there be a politics forum?  (Read 16558 times)

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
Re: Should there be a politics forum?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 06:54:25 AM »
Well, this thread just goes to show you, nothing ever dies and goes away here,  this one set dormant for nice (9) months before it was resurrected.   
So, as for me,  sure, why not?  A politics   forum  can be ignored, passed over,  etc. just as easily as any other can.  I'm sure we all don't bother looking at a good share of the forums on here.
And anyway, we wouldn't even have to leave the State of Illinois for a hot debate on our politics. 
Can you say, Blagojevich, Stratton, Ryan, Burris?   
I can just see the eyes rolling, and the Oh Nos!!  being uttered.   

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »
I am out with different people all the time and unless they are :
Republican W A S P   - -I will never talk religion or politics
 And  that is how I keep my friends  - -and it works

The most fun is when a few of us  - - -SLY BALD guys are together      - - -we talk:  SLICK MELON TALK   

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 11:11:30 AM »
I repeat: Hell, no!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 11:14:01 AM »
I repeat: Hell, no!

I echo the bear! 

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44:22 AM »
MikeC

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 07:04:51 PM »
I hate politics and politicians even more period and they have no business on this board and it's the last thing I want to hear. The 'not-giving-a-!@#$' meter is as far into the red-zone as ever before in regards to politics.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:10:45 PM by RyanJP »

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
While I may have voted NO earlier, I change that to a YES.    We used to shake things up in here every once in a while.  Now, everyone is so well-behaved....   I know the rules have been established already and  this decision is not genuinely open for debate, but it might be fun if someone kicked the bees nest every once in a while to keep things interesting.

Ok.. back to being polite.
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »
Oh yeah! Well, well, well....

I was gonna try to say something disparaging about your head just to "kick the bee's nest", but I can't. Your head is just too perfect.

Let's try this: "Hey, dude! Your shirt is blue!" So there!

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:59 AM »
I've noticed in looking over a lot of past threads and posts that both politics and religion are already present on the forum, just not in any kind of a dedicated way.

Members make 'prayer requests', give 'cultural' information and slip there own political leanings into their posts. The conversations may not be directly aimed at being "political" or "religious" in nature, but it slips in none the less. We may not use the buzz words, or come right out and make declarative statements on those issues, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Not a vote either way. Just an observation.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:23:17 AM by Vash »
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 04:55:51 AM »

I was gonna try to say something disparaging about your head just to "kick the bee's nest", but I can't. Your head is just too perfect.

Ok Bear... this is war.   I see you're wearing an "Army" shirt.  Well, I prefer the "Navy".   How's that for mud-slinging?
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 07:48:51 AM »

Ok Bear... this is war.   I see you're wearing an "Army" shirt.  Well, I prefer the "Navy".   How's that for mud-slinging?

Oooooooo, is there going to be a fight?

Anyway, I feel the need to vote yes on this one. Politics, fortunately or not, is part of our daily lives. I think we're all big enough to talk about it in here, lick our wounds, and get back to the business of shaving our heads. And like somebody said earlier, if a person dislikes the occasional political discussion they can always choose to not get involved. But the nature of the posts in this thread indicates that there are definitely strong feelings among our ranks regarding the political arena.

Whether or not a space is created for politics will not affect my attendance either way. I just don't see it as such a potential disaster as some think it would be. And like Vash said there are plenty of thinly veiled references to politics and religion in any case.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2010, 08:39:44 AM »
Have to reiterate a no--bc of the purpose of the place.  SBG is not an American website, it's history grows out of American ingenuity--take a bow Tyler--but the membership is world wide, predominately English speaking, or should I say "attempted" English by the American brothers >:D
Thus politics is not only capable of bringing out strong views but also could let nationalism get between the international relationships that are daily becoming more of a part of this site.  It also engages guys of every race, religious creed and sect.  So, due to the world wide appeal of SBG, in my opinion we need to focus on our common bond--sly. 

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 09:23:28 AM »
If you have been a member here long enough you have undoubtedly seen differences in opinion turn ugly, and on topics much more trivial than politics.
So
NO
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

marty22

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 11:03:12 AM »
no

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
If you have been a member here long enough you have undoubtedly seen differences in opinion turn ugly, and on topics much more trivial than politics.
So
NO

Well stated!   O0

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.