Author Topic: Hair Follicle Replication Technique Tatoo?  (Read 19113 times)

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
Re: Hair Follicle Replication Technique Tatoo?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »
Whoa hold on... for those of us who did not see the Sly light when we were young and stupid and had hair/skin pieces cut off the sides/backs of our heads and moved to the top this is huge. Some of us here, very few I know, were insecure 15 years ago before Sly was popular and normal. So this process, used ONLY in the area where we have scarred/discolored donor  skin areas that make us look extremely strange when buzzed/shaved need this process. 

I have no wish to design an entire front hairline or fill in the top. I only want the sides/back where the skin has healed in a different color and surrounded by hair bearing stubbled areas that sort of look like a checkerboard pattern, filled in.

97% of the guys here have very normal non-surgically altered scalp skin and dont need this. The other 3% of us do need this process. There is a pic of a hair transplant guy's back donor area on these Replication websites you need to look at before you condemn this process.

And yes hair transplants were the SINGLE DUMBEST & MOST INSECURE  thing I ever did in my whole life.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 03:39:38 PM »
The comments in this thread on this board are, for the lack of a better word, hypocritical.  And I don't mean to knock anyone here with that statement because it's a very prevalent attitude to this issue.

What I've come to notice is that if someone wants to modify their appearance in such a way that the result looks totally natural the actions are consistently insulted. 
"They don't have any self-confidence!"
"That person isn't secure with himself!"
"They're just a victim of the media's ideal image of a man/woman or someone slick advertising!"

However when someone wants to modify their appearance to create an unnatural look the reactions are often quite different.
"That person is confident!"
"They're expressing their individuality!"

For example, if an old guy dyes his gray hair to a color he likes then "he's not confident with himself" and he's "caught up in the media's ideal of youth".  However if that same man were to get a tattoo or ear gauges the reactions would be very different.  Others might express dislike at the choice, but the man himself will be praised for his take-charge attitude.  Why the difference?

Look at this board.  Shave or laser off your hair and you're a hero who is taking command of his destiny, but if you were to fight baldness then suddenly you're a victim of external pressures and your own lack of self-confidence.  There is no difference between the two.

The truth of the matter is we're all capable of making our own preferences and sometimes our genetics don't comply with our own ideals.  So what's so wrong about changing them?  To remain topical here, I think shows FAR more self-confidence for a man to fight to save the hair he likes than to settle for baldness - a look he does not like.  And I'd say the same thing about a guy who cannot shave due to scalp sensitivity if he seeks out alternative hair removal procedures instead of throwing in the towel and regrowing his hair.

Of course numerous other factors play along here (like finances, technological limitations etc), but I hope my point came out.   It is hypocritical to condemn some body modification procedures as a sign of a character flaw while praising others.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline SultanofSwing86

• Sly
  • aha my razor
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 08:37:06 AM »
I don't think that I have any problem with people wanting to have this procedure done. However I think that you would have to think seriously about how this is gonna look in the long term, as if it ends up looking unnatural then it will probably be the same sort of thing as having scars from hair transplants.
I can see the use for those wanting to hide evidence of previous hair transplants, but its probably a cheaper and safer road to go down by not changing what you were given than ending up with something that looks hideous in the long run.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »
The comments in this thread on this board are, for the lack of a better word, hypocritical.  And I don't mean to knock anyone here with that statement because it's a very prevalent attitude to this issue.

What I've come to notice is that if someone wants to modify their appearance in such a way that the result looks totally natural the actions are consistently insulted. 
"They're just a victim of the media's ideal image of a man/woman or someone slick advertising!"

However when someone wants to modify their appearance to create an unnatural look the reactions are often quite different.

For example, if an old guy dyes his gray hair to a color he likes then "he's not confident with himself" and he's "caught up in the media's ideal of youth".  However if that same man were to get a tattoo or ear gauges the reactions would be very different.  Others might express dislike at the choice, but the man himself will be praised for his take-charge attitude.  Why the difference?

Look at this board.  Shave or laser off your hair and you're a hero who is taking command of his destiny, but if you were to fight baldness then suddenly you're a victim of external pressures and your own lack of self-confidence.  There is no difference between the two.

The truth of the matter is we're all capable of making our own preferences and sometimes our genetics don't comply with our own ideals.  So what's so wrong about changing them?  To remain topical here, I think shows FAR more self-confidence for a man to fight to save the hair he likes than to settle for baldness - a look he does not like.  And I'd say the same thing about a guy who cannot shave due to scalp sensitivity if he seeks out alternative hair removal procedures instead of throwing in the towel and regrowing his hair.

Of course numerous other factors play along here (like finances, technological limitations etc), but I hope my point came out.   It is hypocritical to condemn some body modification procedures as a sign of a character flaw while praising others.

I see the point you are trying to make, but I don't think the logic is as sound as you make it.  For example, procedures like hair transplants and shadow tattoos are permanent modifications that offer only short-term confidence solutions.  Hair transplants are eventually revealed due to the remainder of your hair falling out (that and many of them just don't look natural) and shadow tattoos are eventually going to fade.  Both leaving the person in a worse situation than when they started. 

Shaving your head on the other hand provides long-term confidence solutions using a technique that is temporary (your hair grows back).  At anytime you can go back to your original situation if you deem is necessary.

Also, hair transplants and shadow tattoos are not natural looking, especially in the long run.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 10:28:07 PM »
What can I say? I'm 100% with Hookem on this  one! I love my bald head too much to do anything pernament like tatooing!  Shadow is only a natural part of what I am trying to achieve! Bald is beautiful....whether by choice or not!!!
It's all about attitude!

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 11:27:42 PM »

I see the point you are trying to make, but I don't think the logic is as sound as you make it.  For example, procedures like hair transplants and shadow tattoos are permanent modifications that offer only short-term confidence solutions.  Hair transplants are eventually revealed due to the remainder of your hair falling out (that and many of them just don't look natural) and shadow tattoos are eventually going to fade.  Both leaving the person in a worse situation than when they started. 

Shaving your head on the other hand provides long-term confidence solutions using a technique that is temporary (your hair grows back).  At anytime you can go back to your original situation if you deem is necessary.

Also, hair transplants and shadow tattoos are not natural looking, especially in the long run.

You missed 2 big points that I was making.

The first of which is that there's this automatic assumption that there's a problem with a person's confidence if they seek out medical procedures to restore their hair.  There are lots of people on this board with full heads of hair who sly themselves because they like the look.  Why do we automatically assume that those who want to restore their hair do so because they lack confidence?  Chances are, many want to restore their hair because they like their hair just like many of us like our shaved heads.

You also brought up the concept of these procedures being permanent, which is entirely true, but what about the permanent solutions to the curse of being of hairy scalp?  There are numerous threads dedicated to the permanent laser hair removal procedure and tweezing which is known to cause permanent damage to the ability to grow hair if done long enough.  I have not seen one post in any of those threads implying psychological weakness on the part of the participant.

So, again, why is it a sign of a lack of confidence if one person does not like their appearance and performs a permanent medical procedure to get the opposite look while it is a sign of confidence for others who do not like their appearance to perform a permanent medical procedure to get the opposite look?  Is it because many guys who go bald go into an emotional depression?  If so, I still don't think all balding guys seeking transplants should be assumed to belong to that group.

As far as I'm concerned, the only real difference here is that those seeking hair transplants risk finding thelseves with an island of hair surrounded by baldness as their baldness progresses, but that is an actual tangible drawback and not simply a critique upon the person's state of mind.   To me it's obvious that our personal bias to loving our shaved noggins is blinding many to the bigger picture of being accepting, or even encouraging, to those with the confidence to make permanent changes to their bodies instead of just settling for what genetics handed them.  Whether it's hair transplants, laser hair removal, or nose jobs I've always found the whole concept fascinating (well, everything except for those bas****s who laser off their facial hair :) ).

(FYI: In case I came across like an a** or a troll it was not my intention, but I've been told that I seem to lose tact when I express myself in written form.)

Offline Duffman

• Sly Jr.
  • Cue Ball extrordinaire
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
Hey guys, thought I would chime in on this one... My particular point is that aside from some of the results looking ridiculous, is that from everything my tat artist said (his scalp is covered completely with tats), scalp tattooing is the most painful tattoo you can get.  He's covered in almost every inch of his body, and he said by far the worst was his head.  I think that if you want the shadow, go for it.  If you are comfortable with just a shiny head, go for it.  Personally, I think the excessive pain is enough to keep me out of that arena even if I wanted the shadow.  I'm no wuss, but taking care of a full-head tattoo for 2 weeks sounds like my idea of torture.
"Let not a man glory in this: that he loves his country, but rather let him glory in this: that he loves his kind"

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »
I kinda like the thought of my first tattoo being on the back of my head, but work would not like it at all.  Sometimes it sucks being an office worker.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 11:34:08 PM »

The first of which is that there's this automatic assumption that there's a problem with a person's confidence if they seek out medical procedures to restore their hair.  There are lots of people on this board with full heads of hair who sly themselves because they like the look.  Why do we automatically assume that those who want to restore their hair do so because they lack confidence?  Chances are, many want to restore their hair because they like their hair just like many of us like our shaved heads.

1. Both people who shave their heads and get transplants do it because they want more confidence. 
2. Sly Bald Guys do not not say that a guy is being confident by shaving their head, we are saying that he will be MORE confident as a result of shaving his head due to going bald. 
3. Shaving your head is the same as getting a haircut, so a guy with a full head of hair or that is partially bald is just getting a hair cut that provides him more confidence; not a medical procedure.
4. I also don't think we say that guys have psychological issues because they get a transplant.  They just made a bad choice in choosing something that doesn't provide what they are seeking in the long-term. 

You also brought up the concept of these procedures being permanent, which is entirely true, but what about the permanent solutions to the curse of being of hairy scalp?  There are numerous threads dedicated to the permanent laser hair removal procedure and tweezing which is known to cause permanent damage to the ability to grow hair if done long enough.  I have not seen one post in any of those threads implying psychological weakness on the part of the participant.

So, again, why is it a sign of a lack of confidence if one person does not like their appearance and performs a permanent medical procedure to get the opposite look while it is a sign of confidence for others who do not like their appearance to perform a permanent medical procedure to get the opposite look?  Is it because many guys who go bald go into an emotional depression?  If so, I still don't think all balding guys seeking transplants should be assumed to belong to that group.

As far as I'm concerned, the only real difference here is that those seeking hair transplants risk finding thelseves with an island of hair surrounded by baldness as their baldness progresses, but that is an actual tangible drawback and not simply a critique upon the person's state of mind.   To me it's obvious that our personal bias to loving our shaved noggins is blinding many to the bigger picture of being accepting, or even encouraging, to those with the confidence to make permanent changes to their bodies instead of just settling for what genetics handed them.  Whether it's hair transplants, laser hair removal, or nose jobs I've always found the whole concept fascinating (well, everything except for those bas****s who laser off their facial hair :) ).

(FYI: In case I came across like an a** or a troll it was not my intention, but I've been told that I seem to lose tact when I express myself in written form.)

I will give you something on the laser hair removal.  Though, I still think this is less of a bad decision than a hair transplant.  For example, most guys get laser hair removal because they have found that the "hairless" look gives them more confidence than a "hairy" look and by getting their hair lasered off, it makes it easier to keep that look.  They aren't trying to achieve a hairy look only to find out later that "oops, the rest of my hair is falling out."
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 11:51:45 AM »
Good points all around Tyler and I agree 100%.     O0

It basically comes down to being comfortable in your own skin, no pun intended.

Confidence comes as a result of allowing yourself to be just that; yourself.
No amount of falsification is going to duplicate that.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 09:34:04 PM »

1. Both people who shave their heads and get transplants do it because they want more confidence. 
2. Sly Bald Guys do not not say that a guy is being confident by shaving their head, we are saying that he will be MORE confident as a result of shaving his head due to going bald. 
3. Shaving your head is the same as getting a haircut, so a guy with a full head of hair or that is partially bald is just getting a hair cut that provides him more confidence; not a medical procedure.
4. I also don't think we say that guys have psychological issues because they get a transplant.  They just made a bad choice in choosing something that doesn't provide what they are seeking in the long-term. 

I agree that many make these changes because they lack self confidence, but we should not forget that many make these changes because they HAVE self confidence.  Lots of it.  Perhaps to a cocky degree that's so obnoxious it's just as bad as having no self confidence at all.  So while some make these changes because they are afraid of how the world will see them, others believe in taking charge; forming an opinion and seeing it through.

For example, you could have one guy who gets implants because "I'll never get a girl and my life's gonna suck because I'll never even get a promotion.  I suck so I might as well be bald" while another guy says "This is my hairstyle, and I'll be damned if genetics are going to take it away from me".

In our example of people lasering off their hair I doubt it's a sign of a lack of confidence.  On the contrary!  In the cases I've read about here it seems more like a sign of find it a sign of extreme confidence!  These guys have decided they love the sly look and they are making a bold commitment in making it a lifelong style.  That's confidence my friend!  The very definition!  Now if we had people saying "Being bald is alright but I have this visible MPB hairline and I know people are looking at it and laughing at me and I can't get a girl because they know I'm just some bald guy...." then it would be a different story.

I will give you something on the laser hair removal.  Though, I still think this is less of a bad decision than a hair transplant.  For example, most guys get laser hair removal because they have found that the "hairless" look gives them more confidence than a "hairy" look and by getting their hair lasered off, it makes it easier to keep that look.  They aren't trying to achieve a hairy look only to find out later that "oops, the rest of my hair is falling out."

I agree, but aren't our opinions tainted by our own personal bias towards preferring the bald look?  But I still think you're right, restoring a hairline can easily do more harm than good, but if something goes wrong in a laser procedure it's probably not going to be very noticeable.  At worst you'll just waste a lot of money.

I always wonder about these 20-somethings who get hair transplants because they have a long amount of life left and I doubt that their hairloss has hit bottom.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 08:47:57 PM »
I just have one thing to say.......REALLY??????????????????????????????

Offline MadMatty

• Sly Guy in Training
  • against the grain, thats insane!
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 03:24:52 AM »
This has got to be the worst treatment yet, it won't feel like stubble & they will most likely fade in a few years time. Some people

Enter your email address: