Author Topic: lookin for support  (Read 4120 times)

Offline 9mmshooter

• Learning the way of Sly
lookin for support
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »
I recently joined this site because I am struggling with being 26 and going bald quickly.  I can expect that most of you guys would say to shave it.  I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble accepting their baldness?  Any tips on how I can overcome it?

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: lookin for support
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »
What you're going through is perfectly and plenty of guys here have been in the same place!! Tips for dealing with it....well that's sort of up to you. Yes many here will say shave it. I would say that also. But the important thing is that you do what you feel is right for you.

Being "Sly" has much more to do with you're attitude than the length of your hair! Shaving your head just makes a bold statement to those around you.

Keep hangin here and read alll the posts you can. You'll get it!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:16:51 PM »
Shooter, Gary is absolutely correct.  If being completely bald was the only way to go, why do I see so many men with the horseshoe on their heads?  I am Sly because I want to be.  I am confident in my appearance and if someone doesn't like it-too bad.  I am who I am on the inside, a gREAT PERSON.  My appearance has nothing to do with who I am.  In this world today, people are quick to judge a person without knowing them. Look at the (crazy, wierd,bald, tattood Etc) guy over there.  What was he thinking?  I have little time for short sighted morons.
If you are unhappy with the hair loss it is up to you to decide if shaving, plugs, chemicals are right for you.  Whatever you decide, the great members on this site will be behind you 100%. I am sure your family and friends that know you will not desert you regardless of what decision you make.  You are all that you allow yourself to be.  Those that love and know you, realize this.
Just keep saying--"I AM A GREAT PERSON!"
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:59:07 PM »
Are you sly yet? 
It will change your life.  I was 25 when I went sly for the first time. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline slyck85

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
I had lots of trouble with it myself especially right around the time I graduated from high school and lived with MPB for a long time afterward.  If your still on the fence about going sly, maybe you should try a buzz cut or something similar before actually shaving....I planned out my first head shaving day and took two weeks of vacation just in case I didn't like it.  I ended up cancelling all but 1 day of that vacation and will never go back to the horseshoe look.  Its nice not being tethered to a baseball cap anymore

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 06:46:07 PM »
Welcome Shooter! The confidence will come in time. A lot of guys have trouble dealing with MPB. It never bothered me because I didn't give a rat's behind.

Forget about that little bit of hair that is commanding your life. Buzz it short, get comfortable with it, and then shave it off. Walk tall my friend... listen to PapaDon.
Love who you are........

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »
Hey Shooter!

The bros are speaking wisdom.  Listen.  Try a buzz....it is a great improvement over any combover you may have.  Ultimately, when you are ready, you will shave the noggin and you are probably going to love it.  Being sly is a great way of celebrating your masculinity.  8)  But you got to be ready and someday (and I hope it's soon) you will be.

adam_r_todd

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »
I'm 30.  I wish I would've gone sly so much sooner.  I don't think anyone can talk you through the mental process you have to go through to get there.  But, trust me, it is so worth giving it up and shaving it.  Try it for the summer.  You will love it.   8)

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 04:40:50 AM »
I had been talking about shaving my head for several years before I decided to actually go through with it.  My experience, like many others here, is that I wished I hadn't waited so long.  You will find from the many different posts here that an overwelmingly majority of us struggled with the decision to go sly.  Another similarity among us is that most of us, if not all, wish we had taken the plung much earlier!  Hopefully all of the messages here will provide you with enough information / support to make your decision.  I think we're probably a little bit biased though towards the sly side.  O0

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 06:56:02 AM »
Welcome bro,I hope the forum helps you deal with the changes you are going through.
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline yak

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »
Shooter put the 9 down it's not that bad....

In high school I was much like Zach Morris from Saved by the Bell - in terms of hair at least.  It was always in place, loads of hairspray and gels, what a goof i was back then... anyways my hair was something, perfect....  I go off to college and by the time i hit my 19 birthday I was staring at a major bald spot.  Nocked it down to a razor with no gaurd for about a year and then went sly. I can tell you that it doesn't take long for the confidence to come back after you get ride of the rest of the hair.  As long as you have hair with a bald spot people see you as balding, older, whatever.   Keep it slick and people show you respect. 

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 08:00:11 AM »
9mm, welcome to the site.  This is a great place to expand your knowledge.  You will learn alot in here and hope you take the time to read thru the threads.  This is bascially a site where most of us guys shave our heads so it is natural for us to just tell you to shave it.  Just remember , it's all about you and waht makes you feel good about yourself. 

A few months ago I post up a thread that I think sums it all up.  Please read the following, I think it will help you out alot.  I could direct you to the thread but I will repost it here...just for you bud.  Enjoy

There are many who fear loosing their hair, afraid of what the world will think of them if they shave it off.  Im here to tell you that no matter what the world says, the only thing that matters is how you feel about yourself and what makes you happy.  What follows here not only applies to ourselves but can be useful to those around us.

The number one thing is to ACCEPT.  Accept others for who they are and for their choices they have made even if you have difficulty understanding their beliefs. We are all here to serve a purpose, it just may not be the same purpose that you and I are here to serve.  Decide that you will be successful and happy what ever may come your way, and with what ever it is, you will find happiness in that. The roadblocks are only minor obstacles along the way.  Use your abilites to the best of your knowledge. I have heard some guys say that they will feel incomplete without hair. Talent that is wasted has no value.  Talent that is used will bring unexpected rewards.  Do not feel as though you can not do something because of your hair loss.

Too many times we hear negative comments from people. Ignore that and focus instead on your goals and remember your accomplishments.  When you do hear negative comments do the F( squared) Forgive and Forget.  Grudges only weigh you down and leads you to unhappiness and grief.  People alot of times say things without thinking.  As Tyler mentioned...sometimes Timmays fingers work before connecting to the Brain.  We all fall to that at times, but life is a journey, a journey to new worlds, new possiblities and to keep an open mind.  Try to learn different things everyday  and you will grow.  If you have questions, please ask.  You are here in this forum to learn and to have fun.  If you dont ask, sometimes you may never know.  No question is ever dumb or stupid. 

Leave those childhood monsters behind.  The fear of what people will say if you shave your head, with confidence that you build up inside yourself, their words can no longer hurt, harm or stand in your way.  People will only throw these things if you show to them that you are weak.  Notice people who are helpless, weak or suffering and assists them if you can.  By going out of your comfort zone you will show them that you are strong, that you can take on the world no matter what is thrown your way. Share your talents, skills, knowledge and time with others.  Everything you invest in others will return to you many times over.

Most of all, create a family of friends with who you can share your hopes, dreams, sorrows and happiness with.  Value the friends and family members who have supported and encouraged you, and be there for them as well.  There may even be times when someone says something negative towards you but take a deep look inside that person and you will find the goodness in them, we are not all perfect.  Just keep in mind that you have to work hard  everyday  to be the best person you can be , but never feel guilty if you fall short of your goals.  It is allowed to screw up every now and then.  It doesnt make you less of a person.

As the world is today there is alot of stress. With the economy the way it is, people are sitting on unstable ground. They do not know what is to come or how things are going to be when they wake up the next day.  We all have to make adjustments within our own means.  Keep things within a reasonable reach.  I know this may be tough, but we need to relax. Refuse to let worry  and stress rule our daily lives, and remember that things always have a way of working out in the end.

Most importantly..Play.  Never forget to have fun along the way. Success means nothing without happiness.  Enjoy your time here and make as many friends as possible.  There is no limit on the amount of friends you can have.  Yield to commitment.  If you stay on track  and remain dedicated, you will find success at the end of the road.  We soemtimes fall off the path that life leads us down.  Thats ok, explore all possiblities, most things are not permenant, you can change your mistakes. When the bad memories and sorrow rears its ugly head, just remember your happy place ( SBG's).  Let nothing interfere with your goals.  Instead , focus on your abilities , your dreams and a brighter tomorrow!

Give SBG's a chance to make a difference in your life.  We are here to help you come to terms with the issues on top.  Shaving your noggin may not be the answer for all of us, but we all are here for one purpose, Friendship and Guidance.

Offline 9mmshooter

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
Guys, thanks for the advice.  I am just having a hard time right now.  I'm the only male in my family to loose their hair, and at just 26 on top of that.  I am having a hard time accepting it, but at the same time, I don't really guess I have another option.  I've spent the last little while depressed and thinking that my life as I knew it is pretty much over.  I've looked into medication and pluggs, but have heard very negative things about both.  I guess I'll get over it with time.

HoodooMan

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
I understand what you're going through. i'm 24 and shaved. i started balding/ thinning badly at around 19. i am the only male in my immediate, as well as extended family to go bald. buzz down to a #2, then 1, then razor if you wish. trust me, even just buzzing real short makes you feel much better! i went through the whole "oh man, women won't find me attractive!" phase. but trust me it hasn't affected my game being bald. i thought i would, but it hasn't. buzz or shave it down, and you'll slowly get used to your new look, gain confidence, and be your old self minus the hair! it takes awhile to get used to, but it's better than sitting around depressed all day!! you WILL learn to love it, and yourself again

SlyHigh

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 10:12:32 AM »
I've never cared if I lost my hair or not.  It's just hair.  Every man will lose hair.  Most will lost nearly all of it.  I personally don't see how it changes anyone's lives (but I know many men don't feel the way I do).  People may make jokes about it to you, but if they really were bothered by you losing hair, they are being superficial, and it's their problem.

Being shaved is perfectly acceptable.  So what if you are losing your hair?  It's not like you can help it.

The thing to do is to accept it.  If you try to hide it, by either styling your hair different, plugs, drugs, or rugs, people will notice that you are trying to hide it.  If I see a man who's balding, I don't think anything of it.  When I see a man try to hide it, my opinion of him goes negative.

If you aren't ready to shave, just start cutting it shorter.  The longer it is, the more obvious balding is.  If you are afraid of drastic change and people's reactions, just gradually keep cutting it shorter over time.  People will comment on newly slick heads, but they aren't being negative.  Sure, some guys look better with hair.  But losing it and shaving looks fine.  Often shaved heads look better than a head full of hair.