Author Topic: Extending a tattoo to form a sleeve  (Read 4633 times)

Offline ellbee

• Learning the way of Sly
Extending a tattoo to form a sleeve
« on: April 06, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
Hi guys....

I currently have quite an imposing Celtic tatt on the upper part of my arm which is usually out of sight when I wear my work uniform.  I'm very proud of the tatt and often wear T-shirts in which you can - at least - see the tail of the tatt.  I'm itching to get it lengthened now down covering the remainder of my arm  but for everyone whom I've raised the subject about extending the tatt, usually 50% are in favour and the other 50% are against, stating it could ruin my chances career-wise and once I have it - I have it for the rest of my natural.  Work-wise, there's some really good looking sleeves on some of the guys I deal with so I know you're thinking I shouldn't get wound-up over it but I do.  What's your views guys?

Cheers!

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
Re: Extending a tattoo to form a sleeve
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 05:34:28 PM »
You never mentioned what you did for a living. If it's possible to ruin your chances for employment down the road then I would say why bother?

If not then go right ahead.

Me....I wouldn't put anything on my body that wouldn't remove with soap and water or a well placed slap.  >:D
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »
Hey Ellbee-

I have a half sleeve and i often wear short sleeve shirts that let it peek out. Talk to your employer about it.... if they're cool they'll realize that it is just you and it won't change anything about your work habits.

You can always wear long sleeve shirts to work, which would suck.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 07:31:03 PM »
Golden rule, for any tattoo: wait a year and a day, and if you still want it after that time, but all means go for it bro.

Additionally, anything above the wrist and below the neck can be covered. You may be able to wear long sleeved T shirts under a shortsleeve uniform depending on your dresscode.

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:57:25 AM »
I agree that it sorta depends on what you do.  The rules are changing about Tattoos.  They are more widely accepted, but some of the old school guys still frown upon them.  My father hates tattoos and is pissed that I have one.  He often comments about people's visible tattoos.  I think that he does it, just to get under my skin.  He is the reason why I would hesitate to get anything really visible.  Did I mention that he is my boss?

Having said that, I have been itching to turn my armband into a 1/4 sleeve with coverage on the shoulder.  I just cannot decide what I want.

Lastly, I do feel that a full sleeve does look unprofessional in a formal work environment.  I work in a semi-formal business environment.  So, visible tattoos would be frowned upon.  If I was a surf-shop owner or in a laid back business, I would probably have a full sleeve myself.

Offline BuzzKC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:57:38 AM »
Most "formal" work environments require long sleeved dress shirts anyway.  To me it seems the whole tattoo industry continues to grow. It doesn't seem to be a fad that's fading. Tattoo shops seem to be in every part of the city around here. We even have a tattoo "chain" opening a flagship store downtown.  What was on the fringe in the 80's gets more mainstream every day.  Full sleeves seem to be pretty well accepted in my environment.  Some companies want them covered, HR department is worried about the content more than anything.

GASlick

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
Some companies want them covered, HR department is worried about the content more than anything.

Agree.  Even here at the hospital, HR would prefer them be covered but are more concerned with content.  Talk with your boss!
BTW:  All of mine are easily covered.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »
Most "formal" work environments require long sleeved dress shirts anyway.  To me it seems the whole tattoo industry continues to grow. It doesn't seem to be a fad that's fading. Tattoo shops seem to be in every part of the city around here. We even have a tattoo "chain" opening a flagship store downtown.  What was on the fringe in the 80's gets more mainstream every day.  Full sleeves seem to be pretty well accepted in my environment.  Some companies want them covered, HR department is worried about the content more than anything.

Tattoo chains are full of fail, every one that tries to make it here on the East Coast has gone down in flames due to quality control.

Enter your email address: