Author Topic: Skinhead  (Read 77860 times)

isleepinthebuff

Re: Skinhead
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »
I think times have changed too. A few years ago if you were balding you had a comb over and only shaved your hair if you were a skinhead. Nowadays it is more widely acceptable that people losing their hair might want to shave their hair off, this of course means people who do it by choice don't stand out - I think people assume you are balding if you are bald!

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2012, 05:07:47 AM »
Also  following on from  Buddha  , Be very kind to yourself  and know that you are  a kind  person to others  , no self slander or  slandering others 

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
This thread is duplicated under another topic, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  I learned quite a bit.

Here in Post Apartheid South Africa, there is no place for a display of even remote racism.  I certainly steer clear of any connotation to racism and to any "skinheadism".  There are 50 million people in SA.  About 3 Million are "Coloured", 2 Million "indian", 7 million are "white" and the other 38 Million are "African" Any group orientated Skinhead racial activity will be quickly dealt with due to our unique history and intollerance towards racism.

The "skinhead" thing is not really applicable here.  Many white police men sport a "chrome dome" but it rarely, if at all, alludes to or is perceived as being a racist statement.

The comments here are good pointers for Sly men, teaching us how to avoid any such perception at all costs.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »
I definitely feel being a "skinhead" is very much an attitude (and the associated behaviours) rather than an appearance thing.  If anyone ever worried I was a skinhead, a 30 second conversation would quickly put their mind at ease and set them straight, because they would see I'm not some aggressive skinhead at all.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
Yes Bluebriz, its all about the "attitude."

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2012, 05:18:06 AM »
Here in Post Apartheid South Africa, there is no place for a display of even remote racism. 

Visited relatives who live in Cape Town three times: 1996, 2003 and 2008. It's a fantastic city.

And South Africa really is a 'poster boy' example of a country making a speedy transition from pariah state to completely integrated into the international community.

Another visit is long overdue. Think I have enough airmiles. Nope, I don't work for the SA Tourist board. But that's one job, I would like.

Bit off topic ....

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2012, 03:58:24 AM »
@Mr Jules, You are right, South Africa is now on the map as an excellent choice for an overseas holiday.  There are a few beautiful cities here but Cape Town is just amazing.  Cape Town's Table Mountain is now officially one of the "Wonders of the world". 

There are few places where you can bring in your hard earned Pounds, get 13 Rands to the pound, and spend it on a quality holiday that you will not get easily at other places.

If you are bringing in Dollars, you will get 7 Rands for each Dollar.

From a  holiday perspective, I want to break the misconception that RSA is a struggling "Third world" Country.  There are world class accommodation facilities, excellent places to dine, to shop, stunning landscapes, coast lines, game reserves, wine farms, freeways and generally friendly, hospitable people.  The infra structure is by far the best in Africa.

It is gratifying to read positive feedback about your visit to the RSA from people like you.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »
It's all about how you "carry" yourself. I agree with all the guy's comments here. Don't worry what others may think of you because of your "hairstyle". Be yourself & remember to be kind to others in the process.
BaldBill

Offline baldandhappy

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
OK one more story from a long time skinhead. I lived in Las Vegas in the eighties and the nineties. I started losing my hair at 23 and combined with the awful heat, shaving was a real Godsend. At first being white and that long ago, it drew a lot of stares and comments not too bad. In '98 I moved to far north Idaho. The habit of shaving my head followed me. In Bonners Ferry, I stood out like a sore thumb and due to the trouble caused by a few ignorant racists, it was difficult to talk anyone into hiring me. The folks in that part of the woods really despise what the Weavers and other Skinheads had done to their reputation. The idiots decided to move to Idaho, they were not natives. Anyway I finally got a job as a machinist, kind of reverse progress but it paid the bills. The other employee and now friend made the comment as to what have we hired? Just by being myself they quickly found out who and what I was. It will be the same everywhere, although now it is pretty common. If you are NOT a racist, then you probably will not be treated like one, if you are then you get what you deserve. I think through time the stereotype has faded. I haven't even had a good stare in the last few years and when I was forced to move to western Washington, liberal capital of the nation, I really expected more resistance from the PC crowd, but I stay away from them and it has worked out well. I will always shave my head, I have for almost half of my life and rather enjoy it, I find most women, even the ones that claim they do not care for bald men like it as well. So shave on my brothers! 

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2012, 12:54:48 PM »
From a  holiday perspective, I want to break the misconception that RSA is a struggling "Third world" Country. 

And I want to break this misconception too about RSA being "a struggling Third World country".

I've had some of the best dining experiences in Cape Town. And as a cyclist, some of the best road rides around the Cape peninsula.

My own London based company sees South Africa has a country to get into for our future prospects. There's no growth in Europe at the moment.