Author Topic: Skinhead  (Read 78336 times)

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
Re: Skinhead
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 12:47:12 AM »
Just remember all skinheads have shaved heads, but not all shaved heads belong to skinheads!! In the year and a half I have been shaving, I have never met this reaction.

Well you're an older guy with glasses and that usually softens the image that bald head creates.

KentBaldGuy

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
I really think that the skinhead label comes more with the way you dress, the way you behave, your attitude, and your outlook and less to do with simply the hair (or lack of it) on your head. It is the whole package rather than one single attribute.
I'm confident that you are anticipating a problem that is unlikely to happen in practice.

Tony

Offline baller

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011, 10:16:47 AM »
Ok my first day at work and out on the street really made me realize that I may look quite intimidating.  :( I'm 28 years old, look quite young and I buzzed to 1 mm.

One colleague said outstraight I look nazi like,  two guys said/joked that I look dangerous, one joke implied that I will vote for a racist political group. Mostly jokes but still.. It doesnt feel good.

I dont dress like a skinhead but I dont want to dress like an older person either. I want to keep my office/street style, for example today I wore a purple shirt, blue jeams, blue converse.

It seems much easier for older guys to be bald and not look like a skinhead.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »
Stay well-groomed, smile and be polite.   

Offline baller

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
Offcourse but, how do I be polite to everybody I pass or in the subway. Im passing by hundreds of people on my way to work.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2011, 07:22:05 PM »

It's always easier for everybody else.  Older guys think it's easier for a younger guy to shave his head because their friends will probably be less critical.  Just do what you want to do and stuff what everybody else thinks.  Don't empower others to influence  your personal appearance.

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 07:58:21 AM »

It's always easier for everybody else.  Older guys think it's easier for a younger guy to shave his head because their friends will probably be less critical.  Just do what you want to do and stuff what everybody else thinks.  Don't empower others to influence  your personal appearance.

Good advice.  Mahatma Ghandi and Albert Einstein never worried about what people thought of their clothes or hair, and they did OK.

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
I do sometimes feel people are or look a little frightened when walking down the street, specially at dark, but I don't think it has anything to do with being bald, rather than being 6'6 and 230lbs. Good attitude and proper clothing work to let people know who and what you are.

Offline nicbvd

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 10:03:05 AM »
I always wonder why one should care so much of other people's opinions about him.
If you like the way you look why should the others influence you?

People sometimes tell me I look leucemic or convicted (never nazi so far), but who cares? I keep on shaving every day.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 10:04:40 AM by nicbvd »

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »
When I went sly, I never thought about being viewed as a skinhead or a neo-Nazi and three months into it, I still don't. It's unfortunate that people jump to conclusions like "a shaved head means you are a nasty bigot". Then again, I really don't care what people like that think. I'm happy and proud to sport my shaved head.

Offline Richard Coils

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2011, 06:40:10 AM »
cant help with this one mate, as you can probly tell i dont use a razor i use a buffer! take that skin head look away and leaves you with a natural shine.

Offline Jaymo

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2011, 06:12:55 PM »
Don't grow a Hitler mustache.
Kojak was sly.

One word, Goldberg.

Offline NESTYdPOGI

• Sly
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2011, 01:13:03 AM »
Well There is nothing WRONG being SKINHEAD... in fact it is a fashion statement that man can carry with confidence and strength.

Look always at the positive side of being shorthaired or skinhead. You can easily fix yourself in just minutes without worrying if you properly gel or comb your hair... And more than that the LOOKs adds neatness and coolness.

Offline Highguage

• We're all born bald
  • Sly Jr.
  • Love it smooth
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »
I have been asked quite often if I was one. Of course the answer is no.
Bald is the new black!

Offline Cris

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Intermittently Bald By Choice
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »
The neo-Nazis, and their political arm in the UK, the BNP tend more to a full head of hair these days in order to appear more mainstream.

I must say that in the ten years (on and off) I have been sly, I have have never been openly accused of being a skinhead or even being racist. For all I know there may have been people over that time who thought it (and they are welcome to their thoughts) but it has never ever been said out loud.

I add my vote to the smiling, the chatting to people, and the acts of kindness. It disarms the nervous very quickly, and I have have talked to far more people of all ages since I went sly than I ever did when I wore hair.

Tony
So fascinating, this post