Author Topic: Need an Honest Opinion  (Read 17634 times)

Offline shavee

• my barber is one hell of a man!
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • my parents are iffy bout what goes on the internet
Re: Need an Honest Opinion
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 01:06:47 AM »
keep it keep it keep it! :popo
lose the hair, its i dessision i have never regreted. even if you grow it back, one will always wish to be a chrome dome again.

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 09:27:40 AM »
The stache part was driving me crazy.  So, I shaved it yesterday and just left the chin fur.  I liked the full goatee look, but I could not stand the lip whiskers.  Plus, my wife was basically refusing to kiss me.

slyatlast

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »
The stache part was driving me crazy.  So, I shaved it yesterday and just left the chin fur.  I liked the full goatee look, but I could not stand the lip whiskers.  Plus, my wife was basically refusing to kiss me.

...reason enough.  But too bad as it really did look good on you.  Maybe you'll give it another shot sometime.

SlyHigh

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »
Did you try trimming the stache down?  Sometimes it might not look right if you use the beard trimmer and cut it down too far, but it's worth a shot.  Usually I'd grow mine so that all the stach hairs grew down to the top of my lip and I would trim it with scissors there.  But that makes it really full, and might not look right on certain people.  Now I think I'm going to keep it trimmed down.  It looks cooler on my with it's no so long.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »

I don't have the thickest of facial hair (#$*&# genes) but even I have problems with the lip whiskers.   I think the problem is that it's an extremely flexible piece of skin that's constantly stretching and moving round and as the hairs get longer and longer they rub against each other and across the skin.  I've found that if I let the hairs grow until they reach the upper lip the hairs drive me nuts.  The worst are the hairs at the corner of the mouth.

If I trim the mustache to 1/4" of an inch I find it's still long enough to be a mustache but the hairs don't drive me nuts.  I barely even notice them to be honest.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline parky

• Ian Parkinson
  • Sly Jr.
  • Back being sly again
    • Ian Parkinson's Home Page
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »

...reason enough.  But too bad as it really did look good on you.  Maybe you'll give it another shot sometime.

Pity. I thought the full goatee was a better look.
Never quite sure about the chin only look.
Try just keeping it trimmed a bit shorter.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 12:23:52 PM »

As I posted earlier, a goat, stache or no, is a lengthly process.  It's three months in my case until I saw what it really was going to be given the variables of density of growth, and the stiffness of the beard and stache hair.  Now that I've passed 5 months, I trim the goat to a #4 comb on the clippers, but I'm letting the stache hairs grow by in large.  First of all they seem to have a slower growth rate, and second, to get a fuller look, it's essential to have longer hair.  I brush it to the sides to keep it out of my mouth and snip off any hairs that won't go along with the program. 
I've determined, and I'd like some long timers to chime in on this, that the character of the goat and the stache get softer the longer the beard and stache are and the longer it's been growing.  I shampoo and ocndition daily w/ Main and Tail. 
It's just my experience,  but the take away is that you can be Sly in 15 minutes, it takes 3 months and more to get a mature and enjoyable stache and goat.

Anyone else have any length of beard and time to develop experience to share here?

Offline SlyintheOC

• Sly
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 03:34:42 PM »
I have had a moustache and/or beard for almost 24 years. And I would agree with SaintC..... the longer the facial hair the softer it is.
I keep my stache and goat trimmed to a #5 on my Wahl beard trimmer which equates to about 3/8". Sometimes trim it to longer lengths but never shorter.
I shampoo with Bluebeards Original Beard Wash and use their Beard Saver leave-in conditioner. This makes the facial hair soft and has helped eliminate the dry skin issues I had on my chin.

SaintC is very wise.

BEM75: I like the goat on you but I think I prefer it w. a stache. However it is your choice, you have to do whatever makes YOU the happiest.

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »

I think your new look is awesome! 

marty22

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
u look fine.

Offline K2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »
I almost think that you look younger and immature with just the beard portion.

And with the Goatee you look more like a cop our bodyguard or something. So a tougher look.

Id say keep the goat

Offline BuzzKC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2009, 09:35:45 AM »
Looking younger isn't such a bad thing!

shaved

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »
It looks very good, suits your face, With out it you would be baby faced, As long as you like it thats all that matters.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009, 06:25:50 AM »
I like it both ways: the tash looked good, but the goat on its own looks okay to me too...but then, I would say that I guess, seeing as that's my look at the moment too!! 8)

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2009, 08:43:11 AM »
My wife hates it.  I mean she really hates it.  She didn't like it with the stache either.

I finally got it looking a little more even.  It was pretty lopsided before.  However, I'm still getting negative comments from family and friends.  So, I'm not sure how long it will last.  I'm only hanging on because I like it.  I guess that is what matters most.

I had a full beard about two years ago and I really liked that.  You can imagine how much my wife hated it, though.  My friends also said that I looked like a terrorist.  So, I shaved it.

I'm going to experiment with the goat a bit, but I'm afraid that its days are numbered.  At some point, my wife's opinion is going to start to matter.

Enter your email address: