Author Topic: What made you go bald?  (Read 283892 times)

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
Re: What made you go bald?
« Reply #435 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:25 AM »
Well.. due to the fact I had a rather large bald spot on the crown of my head anyway, for the last few years I had kept my hair cropped super close to the scalp.  My bother flip flops back and forth between the sly look and fuzzy. I liked the way he looked when he shaved it.  So I finally was like "screw it, I'm getting rid of the hair!".  And here I am.  SO far loving the look, feel, and compliments!  Just started blade shaving last night LOL
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline gadgetwizard

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #436 on: July 26, 2013, 04:03:40 AM »
My road to Sly started with a very short summer buzz cut. Then sitting one evening I thought I wonder what bald would look like. My buzz cut was a 00 so I thought I'm nearly there anyway.

So I went to the bathroom lathered up and used my DE razor (carefull!)

The look was amazing and I instantly loved it. Next morning I thought oh that's special. That's just me staring back the real me not something created by a barber.

I found this web site and saw the 30 day video and thought ok. Let's do this. Next Monday will be two weeks bald and I still feel the same as I did the first day.

I've said on other threads. Best thing I ever did. The inner strength I have is worth it alone.

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #437 on: August 29, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »
Like many of you fine, smooth chaps, my story is one of gradually disappearing hair. My crown was super thin and the longer I let it grow the worse it looked...

About 4 weeks ago I decided to not clipper my own head for a change and went to a new shop in town. I told him I wanted like a #0 and all over. He talked me into going shorter (his own hair was pretty short) and it was like a #000.

I got home and realized just how short it was (it's pretty fair when it's short and darkens as it gets longer). Nothing was standing between me and just going all the way. So I hoped in the shower, lathered up and broke out the razor. The rest, as they say, is history (so far)...

It will be 4 weeks in 2 days!! :)

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #438 on: September 08, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
Awesome stories guys.

Offline Nickd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #439 on: June 19, 2015, 10:38:40 AM »
I always had a full head of hair until I reached my 30th birthday. At that point I started receeding at the forehead and by the time I reached 35 I had a bald spot as well on the back of my head, albeit a small spot I was getting very thin in the back. At a family funeral I noticed older relatives in their 40's and 50's with significant hair loss. I realized I was doomed to end up like them. A coworker of mine clippers his head down to a zero and I've always thought he looked good so I decided to give it a shot, but I went straight to razoring it as I prefer the well groomed look. I got so many positive reviews and I really liked the look and feel myself that I knew instantly the look was a keeper.

Offline Nikki

• Sly Jr.
  • No Hair,Don't Care. I'm Bald and Beautiful!
« Reply #440 on: July 04, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »
I always had a very thick head of hair until I was 33 years old.  My last style was long,waist length dreadlocks that I had for eight years. Then,one day I noticed my hairline was thinning a bit and I thought it was because I was pulling my hair back too much. Slowly,two or three dreads would start to come out,and so I made the decision to cut the remaining dreads off.

However,I had plans to cut them off any way because I was getting bad headaches and neck pain,and it was getting too expensive. After a near fatal and unknown illness that put me in the hospital for three months,I found out that my hair fell out because of Alopecia. So,after I was released from the hospital,my hair started to grow back slowly,but I didn't want to deal with hair anymore,so on my birthday last year(July 9th.) I shaved my head. I cannot begin to describe how liberated I felt rubbing my hand across my newly bald head. I immediately threw away all the hair products I had,and I was so happy. To this very day,I can't think of a reason why I want to deal with hair again.

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #441 on: July 05, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »
I'm sure you rocked the dreads Nikki but you can definitely rock a bald head! I hate to hear that you went through sickness though. I'm sure it made you appreciate life even more.

As far as my road to being bald goes, I noticed a huge bald spot at my crown area one day while looking in the mirror from behind. One of my uncles commented on it so that was what prompted me to look. I knew I was thinning but didn't know to what degree.  Not too long after that I buzzed my hair shorter over time. I've been bald for a little over a year and I still love it! The compliments I've received have been outstanding.

Offline Nikki

• Sly Jr.
  • No Hair,Don't Care. I'm Bald and Beautiful!
« Reply #442 on: July 07, 2015, 10:13:48 AM »
Thank you for the compliment. I definitely appreciate every day of my life. Ever since I went bald,I received great compliments. My mother told me that I look better WITHOUT hair. That felt really awesome!

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #443 on: December 20, 2015, 05:20:16 AM »
Two of the best things I've done in my life are taking a razor to my flat top in 1983 and no longer worrying about weight over last three years. I'm bald, fat and happy and going into retirement soon. 😄

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #444 on: February 15, 2016, 12:50:01 AM »
Bald by choice here, first did it because i wanted see how i would look, decided to keep it razor shaved for a couple weeks in order to  get a little color on my scalp, not sure why that was important since my plan was to grow it back, but anyway as time passed I became accustomed to it, then eventually i began to like it. Well the time came that i had wanted to begin letting it grow back, got to the point where my hair was about the length of a #2 clipper guard, and realized i missed being razor bald so, out came the clippers followed by shaving cream and a headblade razor i purchased that morning. Its been a month and half now total, and i doubt ill ever grow my hair out again. Besides at 37 im beginning to go grey, and since i need to buy razors anyway, it saves me both a little cash, and the hassle of dying it.

Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #445 on: February 15, 2016, 06:07:40 AM »
My story mirrors yours, and it's been nearly 3 years bbc for me. My hair is totally white, and yes, shaving is the easiest way to eliminate grey hair! Congratulations on staying sly, I'm glad you like it. What kind of reactions have you received?
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #446 on: February 15, 2016, 08:02:49 AM »
My story mirrors yours, and it's been nearly 3 years bbc for me. My hair is totally white, and yes, shaving is the easiest way to eliminate grey hair! Congratulations on staying sly, I'm glad you like it. What kind of reactions have you received?

My mother was surprisingly indifferent to the news that i had decided to keep my head shaved, i had expected some rather negative reaction from her. But then again, she has yet to see me since i shaved without a hat on. Lol. As a gay bald guy, my boyfriend initially was skeptical of my new look, but has since grown to like it, and he has been quite a bit more affectionate towards me than previously. Female friends comliment me quite often, but otherwise reactions have been indifferent. With one exception. My best friend, who i oove like a brother, and who i had asked to help me razor shave the first time, was willing to do it, but completely shocked, and didnt seem to like the idea of me being bald. We dont get to see each other often the last few years, however, so as far as he knows, ive been allowing it to grow back, since that was orginal plan, and i did start to let it grow back briefly, during which time was the last the subject was brought up. Im kinda afraid to tell him, but i know eventualky he will find out. Hopefully, he will react in a surprising way, same as my mom, who, for reasons to be expected based on my previous statement,  i was also afraid her reaction.
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #447 on: February 15, 2016, 08:40:50 AM »
My DNA made me go bald .I used to shave my head point 5 every few months when i was a teen anyway but i liked having the choice to grow it back .To be honest some where in the  back of mind i knew i would end up sly . Call it sly intuition i used to fear it and then i happened!!!I started going bald at 20 full on bald .Shaved my head and liked went to college and got the piss taken out of me so spent the next few years doing the usual cover up hair style rogaine hair fibers ect. Took me a while to accept who i am .Now if you don't like me and my bald head ya can feck off. Its amazing how you grow to accept it with time .
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #448 on: February 16, 2016, 07:34:04 AM »
There is something so charming about an Irishman saying "feck off," hehe.  Good for you.

Offline 1mole

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #449 on: November 08, 2016, 12:19:57 AM »
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and would love to share what I went through.
Watch this video about me sharing my experience through hairloss and why I went on to embrace the fact of me going bald!

[My Hairloss Story]
https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=FmBaii12OlM