Author Topic: Reactions I've Had To Being Bald  (Read 9255 times)

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Re: Reactions I've Had To Being Bald
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 08:14:00 AM »
Indeed, especially for younger guys now its become more than acceptable, actually preferable for military or sports. Even office guys are buzzing/skin smooth shaving in their early 20's.

Im happy to be sly and i think it suits my personality well. The only thing im concerned somewhat about is the girl situation. I think until i eventually do land a girlfriend, it will always bother me to some extend, wondering if the head is a turn off for some potential girls. Oh well, as has been said before, if a girl cant get past my bald head, maybe she has deeper seated problems i dont want to get involved with.

Overall im 9 days in and i love it. I sleep better (oddly enough, i used to wake up multiple times per night wondering if my hair was getting bedhead or cowlick etc) and dont have to worry about bedhead in the morning. Showers are much quicker and feel great on the skin head, and my persona exudes a more confident and masculine image than before. I feel its aged me just a little bit, for a more mature and authoritative demeanor. It's really helped in my work so far as an officer, the public perceives Bald heads as more authoratiative and respectable, wiser and more experienced. Ive definitely felt this change in my own persona.

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 08:24:54 AM »
It's amazing how much better you feel about yourself after you shave your head for the first time.  I know I do feel like a NEW ME.

ThePangolin, DON"T WORRY about finding a girl.  You will find the right one and she will love you for you....ALL OF YOU!!

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 08:40:45 AM »
ThePangolin@ I'm in the same boat as you, i don't have a girlfriend either One of my friends wives who encouraged me to shave it said "If she does mind your bald head, she's probably not the right kind of lady for you anyway!"

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 08:54:48 AM »
It's amazing how much better you feel about yourself after you shave your head for the first time.  I know I do feel like a NEW ME.

ThePangolin, DON"T WORRY about finding a girl.  You will find the right one and she will love you for you....ALL OF YOU!!

Thanks man, its one of those things I really know is true and i believe but still it comes to mind occasionally. But hey, we all have those intermittent concerns or doubts, but the important part is not letting them get to us!

Thanks for the positive reinforcement bro :)

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »
You are most welcome!  8)

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 11:45:42 AM »
7 months in, time flies, and I had the first real comment.  I was at a blood donor awards ceremony and one of the admin staff I haven't seen came over and said 'what happened to your hair, I saw your name but didn't recognise you'. I told her it had slipped and was now on my chin.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »
Ahaha dragon thats a awesome story, love it!

Most of the poeple i see frequently at work have seen me by now and only a few noticed the hair change. The majority just greet me as usual and dont even make a second look or have a puzzled expression. No evidence they noticed.

I did however have an attorney at the office the other day who grew his beard out, and i said "hey the beard looks nice, guess we switched." And he paused for a second and then laughed and said "oh yeah! you shaved your head and i grew a beard! Haha"

So far everyone has been positive, haven't gotten a negative reaction yet. A couple "why"s from hair loving folk, but nobody saying it was a bad choice or it looks dumb. :)

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 08:03:07 AM »
got a new reaction worth sharing yesterday...

Walked into Best Buy with my family. Dad and sister in front of me about ten steps. Walking with my mom holdin her hand.

Entered the door and on the left next to me is the guy that greets and bids everyone farewell. Hes bald. hes got a nicely trimmed beard. hes about my age or mid 20's and looks happy with life. I turned and said "ayyyyyyyy" with a big smile as i rubbed my head. As soon as he noticed me he instantly went "AYYYYYYYYY!!!!" and started laughing and all his coworkers on the other side of the store looked over and he yelled to them "Hey its my twin!"

Later leaving the store as im walking to the exit he shouts emphatically "AY its my twin!" and i replied "haha its getting popular man, take it easy!" to which he said "Sure is! You too brotha!"

Best reaction i ever got, haha.

Such a brotherhood exists among fellow baldies. I love it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:04:42 AM by ThePangolin »

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »
Nice haha. There is a certain brotherhood. And what do your mom & sister think of your bald head?

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
Nice haha. There is a certain brotherhood. And what do your mom & sister think of your bald head?

mom likes it but prefers stubble like Jason Statham....
Sister hates it and says i looks super bald, which i guess she doesnt realize is a compliment to me, haha.

She keeps telling me i look like a big Chris Daughtry. Which is also a compliment....

So yeah!

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 04:40:25 PM »
I'm surprised your sister doesn't like Daughtry. Most of the ladies do lol. My sister actually encouraged me to shave in the first place. She likes it, says I look really handsome bald-headed. I don't really ly know what my mom thinks, she hasn't said much.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »
Sorry my message was vague, she calls me Daughtry but she loves Daughtry! I don't know why she likes him bald but not me lol she thinks I'm better with hair, despite the thinning

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »
My most recent interesting reaction came from an older lady at work, who transfered in to my store/ dept well after i started shaving. Ive been sly just a little over a year now, and she came to work with us probably about 6  months sgo. This can likely be explained by the fact that wecare required to wear either a hat or hairnet, though only she and the dept manager choose hairnets. Anyway a couple weeks ago she and i were working in the back room, and i happened to take my hat off to wipe away some excess sweat due to how hot it can sometimes get in our area of the store. She asked when did i shave my head?  I just thought that was pretty funny since i had been sly the entire time we knew each other. Apparently she had never noticed that i was sly up until that point.  Despite that I never put my hat on until i arrive in our area, and take it off as im leaving for the day.  Guess she just had never paid it much attention until that moment. 
Bald by chioce, never going back