Author Topic: I'm new and I'm so afraid  (Read 2487 times)

Alberto-G

I'm new and I'm so afraid
« on: July 30, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »
First, I have to say sorry. You probably going to get bored by reading this, because basically it’s the same old story. When baldness means fear, insecurity, non acceptance.

Hi everybody. My name is Alberto and I’m Italian. I live in a small town in Tuscany, in the countryside. After a couple of weeks lurking, I decided to register and introduce myself. Hope you don’t mind.

I still don’t understand what my real problem is. Is it getting bald or being 41 and still worrying about getting bald? I know that my age does not allow me to feel so much pain about hairloss. But I’m so terribly uncomfortable with myself. My image is quickly changing and I'm not able to accept the fact.

When people look at me I can literally feel what they think: “he’s so ridiculous with his combover”. Five months ago I decided to shave my head. The result was wearing a hat almost religiously. I felt like I was a prisoner with my hat on but I had no choice. Now I have my combover back, but I’m very depressed. Then I found out this website with a lot of people being so self-confident and proud of themselves. I truly admire all of you, and I'm so angry at myself, because I cannot face my fears, cannot find a job or live my life because I fear people and only want to hide.

I have to say sorry for my outburst. I’m sitting here with all these emotions, thoughts and fears inside of me but no one to talk them to. I'll keep on Reading your posts and comments and hope to find the strenght to react and make a decision.

Thanx to all of you for reading this and I wish you the best of luck. Alberto

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
Re: I'm new and I'm so afraid
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 04:41:47 PM »
Hi Alberto
Welcome from Australia. I have spent time exploring Tuscany one of my favourite olaces and spent time a few years ago at Sarteano a small village near Chiusi and Montepulciano.

Everyone balding has concerns and some these days embrace it and decide to shave.  Bald heads are common in Australia but from memory not so muc h in Italy. Personally I think a shaved head is so much more defining that the dreaded combover.  Why not buzz down and then see if you would be happy to break out the razor.  Ditch the hat and show off your bald head to the world.  That is what the 30 day rule is for.  You will be amazed at the confidence boost and wonder why you waited so long.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Roger

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 07:04:12 PM »
Welcome, Alberto!

No need to apologize.  It is the same story, but that is why we feel confident in telling you that it will work out.  We have been through it and know what it's like. 

I would encourage you to shave your head again.  Next time, do it without feeling like you will have to explain your decision to any other person.  I don't go around telling others how to cut their hair, or ask why they have a certain hairstyle or color, so why should they ask me?   If they do, the answer is "because I wanted to". PERIOD.   There is freedom in making that decision and the only way you will feel the freedom is to OWN it.  Don't feel like a shaved head is not "you".  You will get used to it and so will others around you. 

The alternative is so much worse!  You will look back and wonder why it took you so long and why you labored over the decision.  I have never had any regrets.  Wear it with pride... pride in taking ownership of your own head.

Good luck in your next step! 

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 05:09:59 PM »
Welcome, Alberto
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: