Author Topic: DE vs Cartridge  (Read 8461 times)

Offline Nude Nut

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: DE vs Cartridge
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 07:33:17 AM »
I have a Merkur Futur DE razor that I use with great care. I use a variety of blade brands in this razor and get a very mixed result. I set the blade at the mid position of "aggression". I have had the best & smoothest shaves with this razor but I have also bled like a pig from the slightest lack of concentration. When it's good it great but I wish I had more consistent results.
I always go with the grain first pass, then once against.
Rarely I find missed spots, I never have an issue with shaving my face with this razor, in fact it is the best way for me - but a head shave can be otherwise.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 03:31:18 PM »
Cartridge is the best for me..............by far!

Offline notquitethere

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
I have finally committed some time to getting comfortable with a DE on my head.  Around November I added a Merkur 39C slant to my razor collection.  I also let the head shave go for a while.  I decided in March to go back to clean but was only shaving every 3rd day or so which let's my hair get kind of long-for a cartridge. One weekend morning, I decided to try the 39C on my head rather than clippers then multiple passes with my headblade to get it really clean.  While I have tried other DE combinations before with moderate success, I have never found it to be as easy or as close as I got with the 39c.  I am now giving myself time to use the 39c every time I shave my head.  I still do a quick cleanup pass with the headblade but am getting much better with the DE. Just like with my face it just took some practice, I guess.  I have found that the 39c shave feels closer after 2 day growth than the HB did after just 1. 

Excited to be almost fully committed to the DE shaving and moving away from cartridges.  I can comfortably get 4 face shaves and 2 head shaves from a single feather blade.  As I said, I still do a little cleanup with the HB but the blade I have been using has lasted a 3 weeks with no catch because it is doing so little.

Daily routine is hot shower with Dove face scrub on the head and face.
Lather with Proraso and tweezerman brush
Shave with Merkur 39c with Feather blade
Alum Bloc
Clubman Aftershave
Olay complete to finish.

Sometimes I will add a preshave oil, but don't notice much difference.  I also sometimes add ice before the Olay to soothe, close and tighten pores. Nothing I use is expensive but it all adds to better all around shave.  As my son approaches his teen years, I am already planning how to introduce him to shaving properly instead of with the canned crap and cheap disposable I started with.

The HB will probably always get some use, but I now greatly prefer the slant and as I continue to use it regularly, I get faster, more comfortable and more efficient. 

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 05:53:10 AM »
I am nervous now when i think of DE shaving. Reason is that however careful one is a nic or cut is inevitable at some point!

With a cartridge i find i can really relax at shaving and put good pressure down too without any worry. I am getting several face and head shaves with one cartridge. Would i go back to a DE? Maybe at some point!

Enter your email address: