Author Topic: For the FIRST shave . . .  (Read 4129 times)

Offline CoachDOC

• Learning the way of Sly
For the FIRST shave . . .
« on: November 30, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
Quick question  . . . hope I'm in the right forum!

I'll probably do my first shave in a week or two when my work schedule lightens up for the holidays.  I've worn a 000 buzz cut for a couple of years now.  I buzz my hair about every two weeks with an Oster Fast Feed clipper.

First question is, once I buzz down to 000, is that short enough to easily go ahead and shave (with either a cartridge or an electric)?

Second question, maybe a bit more technical . . . I know I can zero gap the Fast Feed clippers with a different cutting blade.   Does that seem like a good idea, or am I better off buying another unit for electric shaving?  I'm just trying to be prepared for the first shave.

Thanks for any input!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: For the FIRST shave . . .
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »
A "no guard" buzz, or your 000, is short enough to shave with a razor.  I suggest a good cartridge to start.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 05:56:18 PM »
Welcome coach, when you're ready to shave, the shorter the better. Just clipper your head with no guard before you shower. There is lots of info here about the shaving process. I sometimes use a Remington foil shaver, and it gets it pretty smooth.

Ok, now that you decided to shave your head bald, notice how much time you think about it until you do it. Will soon welcome you to the brotherhood.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:06:35 PM »
If you want a really smooth shave, I strongly recommend skipping the electric and using a blade. Just about any razor that works on your beard can work on your scalp as well.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline CoachDOC

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:18:12 PM »

Thanks.  At the moment, the only electric I have is the Fast Feed, which is 000 with no guard.  I'd have to zero gap it or buy another electric if I wanted to go that route.

Makes more sense to start with a cartridge.  I have some Fusion Proglides and some Dorco 6-blade and 7-blade cartridges.  I'm sure those will do well.  Just wanted some assurance that a buzz to 000 would make a good place to start a shave.  I shouldn't be surprised -- after all, if I go 2+ days without shaving my face, the beard is almost at the 000 length.  That's easy to shave with a new cartridge!

I saw a lot of posts about different methods people use, so no shortage of information there!  My biggest concern is nicks and cuts especially in that tight space between my ear and head.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »
I am a Fusion ProGlide user. It does a great job of adjusting to the contours of my scalp without a lot of effort and wrist turning on my part.

I found that using my free hand to pull my skin taut and the lobes down greatly reduces the opportunity for nicks.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline rodey201

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 11:07:54 AM »
Just go slow and steady when shaving, learn the contours of your head. Take your time and you shouldn't get too many nicks. Don't apply too much pressure either and you'll be on to a winner. Once you do it you'll be addicted to a smooth scalp! Enjoy

Offline CoachDOC

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 04:17:39 PM »
Thanks for the tips and the support.  Had some time today after I buzzed my hair, so I lathered up, and shaved my head.  Nothing to it!  Spent the afternoon with my kids, and I don't even think they noticed.  As my wife said, I've worn a short buzz for so long that the head doesn't really look very different.

There are a couple of sandpaper patches if I rub ATG, but I think that'll get better as I get some more experience.

Cheers!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 05:16:30 PM »
Great feeling isn't it being totallty smooth.
Roger