Author Topic: Reactions  (Read 11122 times)

Offline DavidA2571

• Sly Guy in Training
Reactions
« on: November 25, 2015, 05:53:59 AM »
I shaved last Tuesday and here ar some reactions since then. Some of these may be my new perceptions and some are real statements. 
"Oh my gosh you're bald, I love it."
Cute girl gives me a thumbs up in my jeep.
I accidently backed into a guy who drove behind me in the parking lot.  He kept on driving.
"You look like Dr. Xavier from X-Men"
"Oh wow, did you join a fraternity."
"Did you lose a bet?"
" I love bald men!"
"Looking good!"
"You look like Dr Evil. Not sure about this one, and I don't think you were losing your hair...."
"Yay!"

Shaving one's head takes some thought and I didn't enter it lightly. It is only hair after all but once I shaved it I felt empowered.  I surely am not looking for validation from everyone since some aren't going to like it.  That's where we can all just lovingly not give a f**k what others think. 

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
Re: Reactions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 06:38:37 AM »
I've gotten did you lose a bet a few times. I also get called Gru from the Despicable Me movies by the kids in my youth group. That's the one I'm not sure about.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline DavidA2571

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 06:45:45 AM »
Haha Gru!  It's as if people reach for straws trying to relate with our baldness.  Telly Savalas is no longer in vogue.  Kelly Slater did us a great favor though. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 07:19:07 AM »
I didn't get very many negative comments, and I,shaved off a full head of hair. Maybe because I was 58yo, I think younger people are more likely to comment. The worst I got was that I looked like a biker, or "at least you have a nice shaped head".
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 07:34:24 AM »
Shaving one's head takes some thought and I didn't enter it lightly. It is only hair after all but once I shaved it I felt empowered.  I surely am not looking for validation from everyone since some aren't going to like it.  That's where we can all just lovingly not give a f**k what others think.

Great statement! I applaud your outlook.

I am really glad the "You look like that guy from Breaking Bad" comments have stopped since I grew the full beard. The Walter White comparisons usually were made by people who seemed to think I would take being equated with a drug dealer and murderer as a compliment.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:43:58 AM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:37:16 AM »
That is a good attitude.
SlyBeard

Offline BaldBassMan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
I've been buzzing my head down for years, so haven't had many reactions from people at work unless I make a comment about it. The only reactions I've really had is from my wife and kids. My wife was uncertain at first, but seems to love it now and the kids have loved it from the beginning. The only opinion that really matters is your own, its your head and you can do as you please. Glad to see that most your reactions have been positive at least!
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. - Romans 12:2

Offline stn87

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 11:00:12 AM »
That you have received good comments.
You could upload a picture to see your look

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »
I want to go home and shave my head again after reading this thread.

Nice.

Offline Calvo1029

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 09:14:57 PM »
lol I also got lost a bet and that I look like Pitbull
If only I could figure out how to get rid of the hair that still comes back...

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 10:25:41 PM »
wow, you got a lot of great postive feedback.  Post some photos so that we can see what people have been raving about!

I got almost universally negative comments when I was fully shaved.  And while I agree that it is not my best "look", I love the way it feels and the "empowered" feeling that it gives me.  So, I am pretty sure that I will do it again in the future.

Offline 4fit

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 08:02:12 AM »
I got good and bad comments. Oddly enough worst ones were from site members. Oh well everyone's entitled to their opinion.😀

Offline slybaldguy

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Pretty Sly for a White Guy
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 08:59:32 PM »
One thing I notice is that a lot more people notice me in general. I catch people eyeing me quite a bit since I donned the chrome dome. Maybe it's just me feeling more confident and looking around instead of always keeping my head down in shame, and that's why I perceive "more" attention.. But yeah, in traffic, in the workplace, walking about.. I get noticed. The way I look at it, I stand out from the crowd, because I don't conform to the norm, but I didn't go to some extreme to "stand out".. so people aren't really caught off guard, just.. curious. I've had at least 3 people ask to rub my head in the past week, "just to see what it feels like". I just go along with it and jokingly ask, "why, are you thinking about shaving yours?" Nobody has fessed up to it, but deep down, I think they admire us.
"I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health." - Voltaire

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 04:41:11 AM »
I once got told I look like the musician "Moby" LOL!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »
One thing I notice is that a lot more people notice me in general. I catch people eyeing me quite a bit since I donned the chrome dome. Maybe it's just me feeling more confident and looking around instead of always keeping my head down in shame, and that's why I perceive "more" attention.. But yeah, in traffic, in the workplace, walking about.. I get noticed. The way I look at it, I stand out from the crowd, because I don't conform to the norm, but I didn't go to some extreme to "stand out".. so people aren't really caught off guard, just.. curious. I've had at least 3 people ask to rub my head in the past week, "just to see what it feels like". I just go along with it and jokingly ask, "why, are you thinking about shaving yours?" Nobody has fessed up to it, but deep down, I think they admire us.

I had several people I work tell me they admired me for having the courage to shave my head.  A few have also said they have thought about going sly but can't work up the nerve.

Enter your email address: