Author Topic: The New Guy  (Read 3187 times)

Offline BaldBassMan

• Sly Guy in Training
The New Guy
« on: November 24, 2015, 05:45:52 AM »
Mornin guys, just found the forum yesterday, lurked around the site for a bit and decided to sign up.

I'm 33 years old, live in Gulf Breeze, FL which is in the panhandle, just a few miles from Pensacola. Been thinning out on top for the last 10 years or so, headed towards the eventual cul-de-sac on my head. Started buzzing it down shortly there after, but recently decided to take the plunge and start shaving it. Currently using a Parker 99R Long Handle DE safety razor, a home made pre shave oil and aftershave. I'm very new at DE razor shaving my dome, so still honing my craft so I enjoy seeing what works for everyone else.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. - Romans 12:2

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: The New Guy
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 06:05:26 AM »
Welcome.  I was hoping to visit your way this month, but it did not happen.  But Mel (Warhawk) lives there in Pensacola. And he is a big DE fan.  You'll want to connect with him, and a bunch of the other DE fans on this site.  I do have a DE, but use it primarily as a 'brush hog' to whack down (lol) the 'weeds' if I go a few days without shaving.  Then finish with the headblade for a smooth dome. 

Mr Zed.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 07:49:32 AM »
Hi BBM, Welcome. I used to live in Navarre, very close to you. I lived in Holley By the Sea. I wasn't a headshaver then, maybe should have tried it there, maybe could have tolerated the heat better.

I'm also a DE shaver, I found it the least irritating and the most enjoyable.

Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline BaldBassMan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 07:56:07 AM »
The only thing irritating about it so far is trying to stop the bleeding. Got to go get me a styptic pen this afternoon and see about getting some better blades. When I bought the razor, I bought some CVS special 6.99/10 DE blades, not the best, but seemed to do fine on my face before this, notice its not quite as reliable on the head. 
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. - Romans 12:2

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 08:44:27 AM »
I admire the guys that are brave enough to go with the DE. I remember looking at my granddad's when I was a kid thinking it looked like an instrument of death.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:57:20 AM by jbrit25 »
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:55:46 AM »
Welcome.... The head is more sensitive to shaving than the face, I enjoy a de head shave, but it takes me too long on a work day, and its something you can't rush

Offline BaldBassMan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:10:32 AM »
I get up at 430 in the morning, so I have to do my shaving the night before. Too groggy and trying to be quiet to do it in the morning right now.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »
Welcome, BaldBassMan!

DE shaving is a real skill. Glad you have the time to enjoy it.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:27 AM »
Welcome, BBM!
I usually DE shave on my days off. Check out your nearest WalMart, they sell Wilkinson Sword blades and Dorco blades which are better quality than the no name brands at CVS. Or you can shop online and get a sampler pack. Once again, welcome, glad you joined our sly party!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline BaldBassMan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
Strangely enough, my local Wal-Mart doesn't carry any DE blades  that I have found anywhere.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 11:16:24 AM »
I like the good Astra blades, box of 100 for about 10 bucks on Amazon.
Bald by choice, and loving it!