Author Topic: And So It Begins....Buzz or Bald for my thinning hair?  (Read 4279 times)

Offline TheNewWave

• Learning the way of Sly
And So It Begins....Buzz or Bald for my thinning hair?
« on: November 22, 2015, 12:35:54 AM »
(edited)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:52:47 AM by TheNewWave »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: And So It Begins....Buzz or Bald for my thinning hair?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 06:21:43 AM »
I don't see much balding going on there. Sounds like another young guy looking for a reason to get a haircut. If you want t o buzz or shave your head, go for it. It's just a haircut, it will grow back if you don't like it.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »
Welcome to SBG,and yes a buzz cut would work just fine. Start with a #2 ( 1/4" ).
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline stn87

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 09:36:33 PM »
Look great, it looks great

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:00:58 PM »
Well, I can see that you are receding - just how much is hard to tell because your photo crops out your face and head so there is nothing to use as reference.  But, the only way to tell if a buzz cut will work is to test fly one.

A "standard" length buzzcut is a #2, or 1/4 inch.  A good barber will also taper the sides down from the #2 at the top to a #1 on the sides. 

If you like it, great!  If it just accentuates your hair loss you should go shorter.  The shorter, or better the total absence of hair disguises the fact that you have any hair loss. 

Remember that a buzz cut or a head shave are just haircuts.  If you don't like it, it will grow back.  BUT,  whatever you do you must commit to the 30 day rule.  If you don't do the 30 day rule you will only be cheating yourself and putting yourself through a whole bunch of unnecessary drama.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 05:14:52 AM »
i would buzz it.  keep it that and get shorter and shorter until...

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 05:59:30 AM »
First, I'd like to say Welcome to SBG.  This is the place to ask questions and find answers/support.

Looking at your photos, while your hairline may be receding, it does not look like your hair is looking thinning.  Maybe it's just the camera angle, but where you have hair still looks pretty dense in the photos.

A few years ago, a buddy at work suggested that we get shorter haircuts, so we both went to the barber and had a #2 buzz.  Wow. I liked it.  I've never let my hair grow longer since.  But I did not like the expense of the frequent barber visit, so bought my own clippers and did it myself.

So after a bit, I experimented with different lengths.  And the shorter I got, the better I liked it. No one really knew that I was changing lengths, as it changed slowly,  so no sudden change except going with the #2.

One summer vacation I decided to remove the guard and just buzz my head as short as possible. Loved it. A few months later broke out the razor and have been shaving my head since.  Never gone back to hair.

I share my story to let you know that you can walk through the process and embrace it. It does not have to be all at once. You can enjoy the process.

Oh, about my friend ... after a few months, he grew his hair out.  But just this summer, he tried out a mohawk just for fun when he went to camp.  Then shaved his head bald a bit later.  He likes both the bald head and the mohawk (you'll see his postings elsewhere on this site).

Perhaps you have a buddy with very short hair.  Spend some time with him and he can be a support person.

Hope you enjoy moving to SLY. Whether your hairline is receding, you're going bald, or have a full head of hair, you can enjoy being bald. 

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 06:54:42 AM »
You still have enough hair that you have choices.  My advice, if it bothers you, go ahead and go for a buzz.  Or if you feel bold, shave it.  It will grow back if you don't like it.  Guys your age make bold moves with their appearance all the time and not one seems to notice.
SlyBeard

Offline stn87

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:54:31 AM »
If you have the idea in mind, dare and try a new look for a few days. If you do not like, let your hair grow again.

Offline TheNewWave

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 05:27:48 AM »
Edit: Go for it.

buzz my hair down to a #1 now, and it's the most comfort i've felt in awhile. Might go with the "full sly' look shortly though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:51:40 AM by TheNewWave »

Enter your email address: