Author Topic: Cold water shaving  (Read 3067 times)

Offline rodey201

• Sly Jr.
Cold water shaving
« on: November 14, 2015, 06:20:05 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've always been led to believe that when shaving one should use hot water as it softens the hair and preps the skin to help avoid nicks and irritation. However, this morning I have come across a new concept of cold water shaving and just wondered if anyone here has tried this and what their experiences have been like? Is there much of a different/benefit?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Ash

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
Re: Cold water shaving
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »
Well, after a hot shower, my skin is very soft and relaxed and my pores are open. After a cold shower, my skin is tighter and more closed up. For a simple barometer of the difference, observe the difference between your own nipples after a hot soak vs. after a cold bath.

We also know that hot water vs. cold water affects non-living things differently. From washing clothes to doing dishes. Hot water makes things dissolve in it more quickly and effectively. Water is a better solvent when warm or hot than cold.

My course of action is to use warm water on my skin to open the pores, soften the skin, and soften the hair for shaving. Then, after shaving, I use cold water to close my pores and tighten my skin. But it might even be best to use warm water after a shave also, to allow your after-shave and/or moisturizer to soak into your skin better.

Offline rodey201

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »
Hmm yes cold water shaving seems to go against everything I've been told and yet people swear by it. Think I'll give it a go and see how I get on

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 11:53:59 AM »
STOP!!!

NO!!!

You will be better off dry shaving than doing it with cold water. You need the skin as relaxed as possible for a good shave. Warmth is what does that. Cold does the opposite.

(And MunkyMunk...  Nips? TMI, sir.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:57:46 AM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
(And MunkyMunk...  Nips? TMI, sir.)

Lol!
Well, you have to admit that the nipples are a very obvious indicator of every human body's reaction to hot water vs. cold water!

Would you rather shave skin that looks like a nipple in the cold or skin that looks like a nipple in warm or hot water? I rest my case!  ;D

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 02:54:35 AM »
Why not try it and report back.... Just have lots of tissue available!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
I have tried cold water shaving and I get better results with warm/hot water shaves.  As always . . . YMMV . . . what works for one may not work for another.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline SlickChromeDome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 06:38:32 PM »
I've also tried cold water shaving like warhawk has. I didn't notice much difference in doing cold water shaving, but I guess to each his own! Give it a shot...might work for you!

Offline nick2401

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 05:51:29 PM »
When I shave I go WTG then AGT both with warm water. But after that I turn my progress down to about a 2 and do my touch up. For this I run the blade under cold water. I find it tightens the skin where I am shaving and gets those last few hairs in the trouble places.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 10:32:01 PM »
Moisture plus heat.  That is what they teach us in Barber school.  Two hot towels prior to the shave; one cold towel after the shave to close the pores back up.

Enter your email address: