Author Topic: The Munk's 30-Day Bald Journey  (Read 17155 times)

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
The Munk's 30-Day Bald Journey
« on: October 12, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »
Only my second day; here goes.
It was very cold in my house after I shaved; I'm guessing that my body will adjust its thermostat and I'll get used to it soon. I wore a hoodie out to the bus stop this morning, which helped.

One good thing is that my wife said my new look is "sexy."  8) That's good, and pretty unexpected. I don't think she expected to like it as much as she does.

Lots of double-takes at work today, and lots of people asking, "Why?!" A few folks said I look good like this. One woman who likes my new look shared with me that her husband is also fully bald. She even showed me a pic of him. I guess she's part of the ladies auxiliary of the brotherhood of bald men.  :)

I'm happy that all the shaving I did hasn't seemed to cause any skin irritation or bumps or anything. That seems to be a good sign that I'll be able to do this long-term.

I'm surprised at the amount of stubble I've got already. I never thought my hair grew fast, but it's really noticeable when it's so short. I'll have to shave again tonight or tomorrow morning.

Spent the day reading reviews of razors. Trying to decide whether to buy a HeadBlade and which other stuff to get (HeadLube Matte maybe?). It's all kind of expensive, though. For now I'll stick with my disposables. I'm leaning toward a HeadBlade Sport, though.

So, to anyone thinking about shaving their head, go for it! Reactions have been mostly positive (or bemused!), and I feel good about it!

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: The Munk's 30-Day Bald Journey
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:06:29 PM »
Awesome summary!  Glad to hear it's going well.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
Just had some personal communication with Todd Greene at Head Blade. He's the president. He uses the SPORT model himself. Prefers it over the ATX which they sell in stores. I agree.

I like the sound of the 'ladies auxiliary'! All ladies at my house, except me. Wife and three daughters.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »
I shaved my head again tonight. I had watched a number of YouTube videos in which the guys shaved their heads while standing at the sink, so I decided to give that a go.
I used one of the same razors I used two days ago, and maybe that was a mistake, or maybe the mistake was not giving my stubble enough time to soften up like it would have in the shower, but I ended up with a bunch of bloody spots on my scalp and a lot of tenderness now.
Also, is it normal for my scalp to be mostly pretty numb? It was numb yesterday also, before I inflicted all this damage to my scalp.

Next time I'll do it in the shower again, after plenty of soaking time to soften up the stubble. Ouch.  :'(

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:49:52 PM »
Daily shaving at first is a tender experience, the same goes for the temperature sensitivity.  It took 2 weeks for my head to acclimate to being sly.

Back to the shaving routine, I tried daily shaves at first, but like you my skin was very sensitive and very uncomfortable with a few bumps.  I noticed after 2 weeks, I was able to daily shave with no discomfort, most of the bumps on my head were shorn off and healed.  Also, shaving against the grain will become more comfortable, your body just takes a little time to adjust to the new routine.

That's excellent you are getting some real positive feedback!  Keep us updated on your progress.  O0

John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 12:24:18 AM »
Thanks much, John - I'll keep at it. Good to know I'm not totally abnormal (at least in this one area of my life!).
I'll wait a couple of days before shaving again, and I think I'll go back to shaving in the shower, after letting the hair soften up a bit.
Also plan to give a HeadBlade a try.
Thanks again. Great bunch of folks on this board!

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 12:29:39 AM »
Thanks mrzed! Based on your recommendation, I'm going to give the Sport a try. If that doesn't work out for me, I might give the ATX a try.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 01:28:58 AM »
Yes, for me there was the false numbness when I first shave after not having done it for a while seems like the nerve endings are used to being yanked around by rhe hairs and when thrybarevsuddenly not there........   But the "numbness" goes away within a day or two.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 01:49:48 AM »
glad you like it mate, I'm a shower shaver too, It works well for me. As for a shaver I use a Mach3, I did try electric shavers but they were pretty rough on my scalp
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 07:37:44 AM »
I'd avoid shaving twice a day at first because your scalp will become irritated pretty quickly.  I'm not sure I have any scientific proof, but in my case, the longer I've been shaving, the more slowly my hair grows.  At first, the stubble was noticeable to the touch by 10:30 - 11:00 in the morning, but now it's more like 4:00 in the afternoon.  (this is after 4 1/2 years of daily shaving)

As to temperature sensitivity, it's common to notice how cold and drafty it is.  This will diminish a bit, but a bald head will still always be more sensitive to temperature, so be ready to wear caps / hats.  It's also normal for your scalp to feel a bit odd at first.  It's been covered by hair and now is exposed to the elements.  As time passes and you shave regularly, it will toughen up and you won't notice the difference. 

Lastly, I'm glad your wife likes your shaved head.  I shaved my head as part of a charity fundraiser and my wife immediately liked my new "look" - so much so that I have continued to shave daily for 4 1/2 years!  It's good to have support from your wife. 

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 08:02:52 AM »
Shaving in the shower will be easier on your scalp, at least for now.  Try an anti-fog shower mirror if you don't have one.  I found the Headblade did not work well for me.  But according to others, it may take more time than I gave it.  I use either the Persona M5 or the Micro-tough razors and have had good success with both.  Good Luck!
SlyBeard

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »
Sorry the second shave did not go so well for you. It will get easier with time and experience.

As for the sensitivity to cold, I empathize. Right after I started shaving, I had to buy an assortment of beanies just to wear at my desk at the office.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
In reviewing my posts, I see how it would seem as though I've been shaving my head more frequently than I actually have. I've only shaved my head twice in my life: Saturday afternoon and Monday evening.

Already I am feeling less sensitive to the cold. I'm less cold at home and I performed the bulk of my morning travels today without a hood.

My head is also not as badly nicked up and irritated as it felt last night. I think I also did a better job of getting all the hair shaved off, though I did still miss a few spots.

I've also ordered a new fleece beanie hat to wear when the temperature drops even more.

Thanks again, everyone. And don't worry that I'm going to be writing every day - my posting will taper off, it's just that every aspect of being bald is brand new to me right now. :)

~ Munk

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »
In the early days, try not to scrape your head to be absolutely smooth.  That will come soon enough.

Some good after shave head cream (Nivea, or Head Lube, etc) hand lotion if you don't have anything else? Coconut oil ... etc. 

A good hot towel, or wash cloth to soften up the hair.  Lather and let it sit there awhile before shaving. Shave secret oil mixed in with the shave cream or perhaps just as a pre-treatment.

Good ideas.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 08:23:01 PM »
Great story.  Always a bonus if wife or partner is happy with the look.  I'm up to 11+ years now and my bald look is never commented on - not that I would be prepared to change.

My beard is a bit longer that usual (nearly 50 years) but the weather has warmed up in Australia so might go shorter again.

Roger

Just realised in my street where about 10 men live 4 have shaved heads.
Roger

Enter your email address: