Author Topic: First Time Sly Guy!  (Read 3173 times)

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
First Time Sly Guy!
« on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »
Greeting, everyone! I'm a brand new member, 47 years old, and shaved my head for the first time yesterday.
I've buzzed all my hair off a couple or three times over the last twenty years or so, and never liked the way I looked. I've tended to look a bit younger than my years, and a bald head doesn't always look good with a baby face. The bald look tends to be quite unforgiving, and I'd always used my hair to help my looks a bit. I was late in being able to grow a beard, but once I could grow one, I also used my beard to improve a bit upon my looks.
I spent the last six or seven months growing my hair out and was surprised to find out how age had changed my mane: my hairline has receded a bit, but that's not the problem. I also didn't mind all the gray that's coming in - I kind of like that. The problem is that my hair has gotten kind of wiry as I've gotten older - not quite the smooth, silky, blowing-in-the-wind locks I used to have. So I got my hair cut. And then I got it cut short. And then I started thinking the unthinkable - what if I cut it all off?!
So I did some web searches and found this site. Wow! Super informative and so encouraging! I really enjoyed seeing all the before and after pics.
So I floated the idea past my wife. A couple of times. She knows that I'm always game to do off the wall things, so she knew I'd really do it. She was fine with it. Then I floated it past my kids to get them used to it. They told me not to do it.
Then, yesterday, I broke out my trusty clippers. I asked my daughters if they wanted to buzz off some of my hair. They thought it would be fun, so I let them attack my head with the clippers. It was a lot of fun for them. Then I took over. I had done this part before, so I buzzed my head about a zillion times, from all directions to get it even.
Then I got in the shower and slathered a bunch of shaving gel on my head. I tend to have facial hair, so I didn't really have high quality shaving supplies on hand, but I wanted to strike while the iron was hot, so I used the Gillette Fusion Ultra Sensitive stuff I had on hand. Then I started with the Sensor disposable I had on hand.
I planned to go with the grain, but it didn't seem to be working, so went against the grain.
It seemed to take forever. I went over and over and over my head, from every conceivable angle, but there always seemed to be spots all over the place that felt fuzzy. Finally, I couldn't take any more, and I was afraid that I'd badly abused my scalp, so I stopped even though there were some spots that still felt a bit fuzzy.
I got out of the shower and slathered my head with my Neutrogena Post Shave Balm, ultra sensitive.
I looked in the shower and I have to admit that I kind of like it. I like my head shape, mostly. I kept the scruff on my face, which helps alot. My wife is fine with it and the kids are still trying to figure out whether they like it.
One thing is that my head is amazingly bright white.
I'm giving it a couple of days before I use a razor on it again so that the skin can heal up and calm down.
I think I'll give it the old 30 days!
Thanks to everyone for the shared wisdom and inspiration!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: First Time Sly Guy!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
Welcome! Great story and intro!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
Thank you, Sir Harry! I realize now that I posted quite a wall o' text there.
You've got a great look going on there, by the bay. Bald really works for you, plus you've got a great beard.  O0

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 11:35:33 PM »
Welcome to the group Munkymunk,

Congratulations on taking the 30 day challenge!  The marshmallow swim cap will darken up with a little time, just make sure to keep sunblock, or a shady hat nearby in the event you get stuck outside on a sunny day until you darken a little.

Enjoy!
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 01:56:14 AM »
Welcome.  Sounds like you're having fun.  Enjoy the next 30 days!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 04:56:07 AM »
Good welcome story. You needed the space you took. Don't worry about that.

When you are ready, post a picture.

The first week or two that I shaved my head it was not smooth either. Just takes some practice and good equipment. I really like the head blade Sport. (only available online).  At the beginning take it easy. The smooth head will be your's by the end of the 30 days.  You'll have the technique down.  Also the shave time will decrease as you get used to the nuances of your head.

The color won't take too long to come in.

Enjoy your new look.  Nice to see that you included your family in the process.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 05:35:17 AM »
welcome,  as you continue to shave your head it will get lot easier.  Your kids will adjust quickly. 

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 06:33:20 PM »
Wow, thanks for the welcome, guys!
John, your avatar with the split-screen before and after was a big motivator for me to go ahead with shaving my head.
This board is great, and the members here are super. Thanks again!  O0

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 04:47:09 PM »
Welcome!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt