Author Topic: 3 Options? For now... PICS  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Tobeornottbe

• Learning the way of Sly
3 Options? For now... PICS
« on: October 11, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker for quite a bit now, but today I took the plunge and shaved my head, so I figured I would get some advice from the pros.
I just turned 25 and started thinning around 21 or so. I am currently taking propecia and applying rogaine, but I got so tired of trying to "manage" my receding hairline that I decided it was time to take it down. I'm really not so sure I did the right thing  :o.
Here are some pics of me with my hair before I cut it at all, then a pic after I buzzed it, and finally a pic of it completely shaved.

I'm a pretty big guy (6'6" 228lbs) but I dont have the "big bald bad boy" personality. I'm not really sure what to do. I was OK with the buzz, but it was still just like... WOAH. Of course everyone will have a shock factor, but I really don't know what to do at this point. I was hoping someone has some advice (or maybe some hair ;) )?? I really don't know. I'm kind of just confused right now haha.

I buzzed it three days ago and received a couple of negative comments.

"Don't do that to your hair, you are supposed to be my good looking grandson." - Grandma

"You look like a broken old man." - Girl that was/is interested in me 

"Your dome looks like it grew, give it a few days to grow and it will look better" -Ex girlfriend

I've had more critics, but I think you get the idea.

Honestly though, the comments due suck to hear, but what kills me the most is just literally not seeing myself when I look in the mirror. Almost see a shell of myself, as depressing as that may sound. I really am trying to stay positive though, it's just really hard. I do understand there are MUCH bigger issues in this world than my hair follicles, but it really is a life changing circumstance.

Anyways, thanks in advance to everyone that posts here. Like I said, I have lurked before and found some beneficial information. Please just hit me with the truth though, and try your best not to be bald biased!   O0

Mase

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:41:29 PM by mwpayne »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: 3 Options? For now... PICS
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
Most comments at first are negative, due to the shock of the drastic change.  My suggestion is to stick with it for 30 days, and add some facial hair.  Looks like you have some thick stubble in your photos that would make an awesome beard, and facial hair can help take some of the shock out of seeing a guy with no hair.
SlyBeard

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
I think all 3 looks work well.  Sure, you're receding some, but it wasn't so bad that I think you needed to shave or buzz all the hair away just yet.   Having said that, I think you look great buzzed or bald.  Maybe keep it bald or buzzed for a bit and see how you feel after a bit of time.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »
Welcome! Even if you decide to grow it back, at least you know what it's going to be like if you decide to shave permanently.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 11:33:42 PM »
Oto be butally honest:

- the "managed" loooked ok from the front but your other photos belie the fact that you have come to the point where you have run out of choices.
- the buzzed doesn't look good on you, it just makes you look old and like you don't care about your grooming.
- The bald is definitely better than the buzz.  You have great eyes and nice skin and without the hair peoples gaze goes directly to your eyes.
-  Bald with just a bit of facial scruff, (like no more than in your buzzed photo) is really a good look for you!

Offline nicolaus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 01:45:59 AM »
All three styles look very well. Maybe the completely bald head looks "too smooth", because you have no facial hair either. Keep the head smooth and grow the facial hair up. It will be the best style for you, I think.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 04:49:03 AM »
My impression ... the bald photos looks bold, confident, cheerful, energized. 

For now.  30 day rule. Just to give it a chance for yourself and your community.

You don't have to shave your head, but it sure looks good.  Stick around for ongoing encouragement and support. During your first 30 days, post frequently. Let us know how it's going.

I'd expect the comment from grandma.  All of my parents and grandparents had passed by the time I shaved my head.  No comments from my sisters. But they don't live locally.  Sister in law raves about my shaved head. "You look like a professor".  No comment from the rest of the family.

Let me encourage you to stick with it.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 06:48:11 AM »
One more thing. Please be careful with the Rogaine and Propecia. It may give you side effects that can affect your "performance" if you know what I mean.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.