Author Topic: The Skarp Laser Razor - Real or Fake?  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
The Skarp Laser Razor - Real or Fake?
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »
Hey everyone, have you seen the Kickstarter for the Skarp Laser Razor?  If not, click the link in the previous question or watch the video below:

What are your thoughts?  Do you think this is real and will revolutionize shaving?  Or do you think this will be a flop?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
Re: The Skarp Laser Razor - Real or Fake?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 03:14:31 PM »
From what they show in their video, there doesn't really show anything that points to them having a workable solution for a laser in the head of the shaver, and without that several of their other claims can't be believed until they have a workable unit
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 06:13:23 PM »
I don't know. It's hard to beat a headblade. 

But if you never need to buy blades, maybe they have something.  I wonder how fast this shaves compared to a razor.  Would you need to linger or go slowly so that the laser has time to 'melt' the hair?  Would that gum up things. 

Offline Hieu Tran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »
They updated demo video here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skarp/the-skarp-laser-razor-21st-century-shaving/posts/1364296

It doesn't really well i think. 2.1 million dollar over 160,000, so they reached their goal and maybe working now, it's worth to give a try (if the price was good).

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 11:30:42 PM »
From what it looks like, there's a fiber "string" that is stretched across that acts as the "blade."  The laser must "heat up" the "string" in a manner where it will cut through the hair without burning the skin.  Does anyone else see this?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 05:04:14 AM »
I got that impression also Tyler. 

A question or observation I have, is that it is a precision straight line akin to a razor.  Unfortunately my head is not a poreless, dent-free, flat surface (yes, I'm imperfect but coping) so I don't see the difference between a regular disposable blade vs. the 'light saber' following the surface of my head, as they would achieve the same result.

For now, I'll stick with the cheap disposables until the industry comes up with a Nair/Veet type of cream I can use on my head.

Peace,
John
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
While I like being shaved, I don't actually like the process of shaving, so anything that makes it quicker and easier would be great.

They now have 15x their capital goal, so if the idea is truly viable, it should just be a matter of execution at this point. Let's see if they can deliver.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:46:32 AM by TheSlyBear »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »
Yeah, I look forward to seeing if they can execute on this.