Author Topic: First Attempt with a DE  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Mr. Wiggly

• Sly Jr.
First Attempt with a DE
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:06:44 PM »
So today, I tried using a DE for the first time.  I'm a routine straight razor shaver for my face, and just recently started shaving my head with the headblade.  I grabbed a Merkur 34C HD and some persona blues since I'm cheap and hate the idea of paying $2.50-3.50/cartridge for the headblade replacements.

The shave went rough.  I didn't cut myself (actually, only cut was when I used my cartridge to clean up and was careless), but I also struggled to get a smooth shave.  The top of my head was fine, but the sides and back didn't seem to get smooth, no matter how many passes.  I'd adjust the angle and hear the razor against the hair, but yet it would still be rough after the pass.

Ultimately, I ended up cleaning up with the ATX to get that BBS feeling.  My neck is pretty red as well, though I struggle to get the grooves in the back of my neck with the ATX as well.

I love old school shaving, so I'd like to make this work.  I used Trumpers shave cream (started with Taylor of Old Bond Street, but I find it dries too quickly so I switched and relathered). Any advice is appreciated. 

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: First Attempt with a DE
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:59:48 PM »
Get some Shave Secret pre shave oil. It makes a better lather when mixed into your soap. It;s sold for about $4 at most WalMarts
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mr. Wiggly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »
I'm good with the trumpers lather, its more my technique that seems to leave some questions. I just can't seem to get the razor to cut the hair down smooth.

The neck grooves are a real b.... also.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 08:57:28 AM »
Are you referring to the rolls on the back of your head? Many people have them, it just takes a little more time to get inside. Most people have to keep practicing with the DE to get better.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mr. Wiggly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 10:01:21 AM »
Are you referring to the rolls on the back of your head? Many people have them, it just takes a little more time to get inside. Most people have to keep practicing with the DE to get better.
I don't have rolls, more like grooves ha-ha. I guess I'll keep trying. Headblade is definitely easier, but I hate cartridges.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
I don't shave ATG due to ingrowns and folliculitis.  Given that caveat, I found that I needed a much more aggressive razor on my head.  I'm still not sure why.  My 3 favorites are my Fatboy wide open, my Progress overclocked to 6.5, and my R41.  I just busted out the NEW LC with 5 shims this morning for OCtober and confirmed to myself that it isn't a technique issue.  I've been shaving my head with a DE for about 15 months now and I still can't get a shave I find acceptable with a mild razor.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 03:26:08 AM »
Same here, I need an aggressive blade, but I do get a nice shave now, took me a while to get it right

Offline Aussie Sly Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly Since March 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:45:09 AM »
I can't for the life of me get a decent shave on my head using a DE.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 07:11:53 AM »
I've been trying with the DE since Christmas time 2014, and I still don't have DE shaving down to something smooth.  It's really rough. Always have to follow up with the headblade if I was a smooth result.

If I skip a few days of shaving, the DE does cut down some of my hair. I think of it as a brush-hog.  Get's the long stuff, but then have to follow up with something else for a smooth finish. 

If I try DE daily, it feels like a waste of time.  I can't tell the difference from before and after.  I do like giving the DE a try. Nostalgic. Just does not give me a smooth shave.

Offline rodey201

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 08:14:17 AM »
I have grooves across the back of my head and neck too. When shaving the back of your head touch your chin down towards your chest and you should find that this will stretch out your skin. I also place my non shaving hand on top of my head abd try to pull my scalp forward to further stretch the skin and I find this helps not only with the closeness off the suave bit also helps me to avoid nicking myself