Author Topic: Not digging the look, nor is anyone else.  (Read 34428 times)

Offline EmDe

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Not digging the look, nor is anyone else.
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2015, 01:46:35 AM »
That is really great to read! I'm seriously happy for you. I have very similar experiences myself, noticing that girls were even more attracted to me after than before :) It's just what you need to really embrace it and enjoy all the advantages, because also from a practical perspective there are plenty.

One thing I also noticed, is that it might help from a career perspective. I am currently participating in job procedures for some highly sought after positions, and several recruiters have pointed out my fresh and confident outlook. I am 100% certain that my previous "surf-dude" hair would have changed their perception :)

Although I also like to work out and stay fit, I would not become too buff if I were you though. You risk becoming "one of those types" and I think most women prefer a fit/healthy/athletic posture over a massive V-shape and being totally ripped. I literally had a friend of mine (no hair, got addicted to fitness) say that he sort of accidentally ended up looking much rougher/gangster than he actually is. He literally told me he is now trying to loose some weight and look more like an athlete rather than a prisoner ;)

But again, I'm happy for your new found happiness and mindset!

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »
That is really great to read! I'm seriously happy for you. I have very similar experiences myself, noticing that girls were even more attracted to me after than before :) It's just what you need to really embrace it and enjoy all the advantages, because also from a practical perspective there are plenty.

One thing I also noticed, is that it might help from a career perspective. I am currently participating in job procedures for some highly sought after positions, and several recruiters have pointed out my fresh and confident outlook. I am 100% certain that my previous "surf-dude" hair would have changed their perception :)

Although I also like to work out and stay fit, I would not become too buff if I were you though. You risk becoming "one of those types" and I think most women prefer a fit/healthy/athletic posture over a massive V-shape and being totally ripped. I literally had a friend of mine (no hair, got addicted to fitness) say that he sort of accidentally ended up looking much rougher/gangster than he actually is. He literally told me he is now trying to loose some weight and look more like an athlete rather than a prisoner ;)

But again, I'm happy for your new found happiness and mindset!

Thanks. Of course my self-conscious self starts to think...why in the world did someone approach about male modeling? Were they mocking me? I am only 5 ft 7. I kind of wish I did not lose the card just to see what it is all about. I looked up the site of the place I think it was and looked the pics, variety of men of all ages...not one bald one...maybe that was the reason? They do contracts with Jc Pennys catalogs...heck I could use the money if that was the case. I might look into it.

Anyway, I do agree that getting to big an muscular is not a good look, esp at my height. 10 Lbs of muscle would not do that to me though and I think it would be about just right. I will use this as a catalyst to push myself to make that goal although.

Offline SSI

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2015, 02:57:31 AM »
there's no reason to razor shave your head for balding if you're only NW3....

Offline SSI

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »
A girl once told me.. its not easy to still look good with a shaven head.. so if you do.. consider yourself lucky.

sorry to break the news to you bro but if females have not given you compliments about the shaven head then you probably don't look good with it..
I shave my head bald and still get told by most females that I don't need hair and still look good.

some guys look better than others with a shaven head...  its not an easy thing to still look good with a shaven head and most guys do not look great with shaven heads...  because most guys are just average looking...  if you're not well above average looking as in an 8+, strong jaw line, nice eyes, good symmetry, good proportions...  then you're not going to look handsome with a shaved head...  you'll look better with hair.

The harsh reality is this..  If you can't pull off a shaven head and still be considered attractive by females...  then you're simply not good looking enough to pull off a shaven head.   Some guys just have the right look for it... Once you shave off your hair.. your face needs to compensate.. and if your face isn't good looking enough then you're gonna have problems.

Here's an example of a guy who would still be considered to be attractive even with the shaved head / balding.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2iuq58x.jpg

He would look better with hair as would most anyone.. but the lack of hair won't kill him.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:45:32 AM by SSI »

Offline SSI

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 03:08:00 AM »
you could be related to John Travolta...

and that's probably the issue because JT doesn't look good with a shaven head.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:46:36 AM by SSI »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »
That may be your "harsh reality", but just because that's your world view doesn't make it anyone else's reality, nor make it true.

And I will firmly disagree with "most guys do not look great with shaven heads". You are, of course, free to have that opinion, but your opinion does not make it fact.

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »
That may be your "harsh reality", but just because that's your world view doesn't make it anyone else's reality, nor make it true.

And I will firmly disagree with "most guys do not look great with shaven heads". You are, of course, free to have that opinion, but your opinion does not make it fact.
Ditto TSB.
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »
SSI, since you are clearly in the "8+" category, how about posting some pictures of yourself so we can all see how great looking you are?

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2015, 12:00:02 PM »
One thing I’ve come to believe as I’ve gotten older is that there is very often a very big difference between being pretty or handsome and being sexy. It’s like a Venn diagram in which the “conventionally attractive” and “sexy” circles only have a partial overlap.

I mention this because someone is asserting that you have to be “good looking enough” to pull off the bald look. Wrong. It just has to work for you.

Someone like Yul Brenner was a handsome man, and could look good with hair or without. On the other hand, someone like Telly Savalas was not the most handsome man in the world, but I remember when he was considered one of the sexiest men in Hollywood. And Ben Kingsley? Not exactly Brad Pitt, but bald works on that man.

Likewise, I consider Mindy Kaling one of the sexiest women in Hollywood today – much more so than Scarlett Johansson. So, you might look at Mindy Kaling and say that she “doesn’t have the body” to be wearing some dress or something, but I’ll tell you that I’m salivating just thinking about her wearing just about anything. And Janeane Garofalo.

And as for men? Aziz Ansari is cute as hell. Classically handsome? Maybe not. But cute as hell. And Joe Rogan? Yup.

You’ll probably dismiss my thoughts as the rationalizations of a “beta” or whatever term a certain class of modern douchebag might use, but this is the real world, man. We all have what we have and like what we like. I’m not a particularly handsome man, and I’m certainly not wealthy, but I’ve got the attributes I’ve got and I make the most of them. And I’ve been in relationships with people that had bystanders asking, “What do they see in him?”

So, who can pull off the bald look? I won’t argue that everyone can. But it doesn’t require being super handsome. It’s just like whether you look good wearing red or blue or green – it’s a combination of all of you – try it out. It works for some more than others.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:01:43 PM by MunkyMunk »

Offline dart24

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Well he has a point .
Also there is a difference between bald/shaven by choice and a guy who is balding and shaves.
And a difference between young man balding and a 40-60 person who is balding.
Its just that if your super balding hard and it just looks really bad its better to shave
But you must agree that baldness not by choice makes you less attractive
Because come on whats better: shaven head with a full hair line with no thin spots or a shaven head without some kind of a hairline shadow thingy.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »

Must we now?  ???

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 02:39:04 PM »
It still comes down to " beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  I would also like to see the picture of mr. 8+.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 08:00:57 PM »
Gee. Some guys are more attractive than others. Quite a revelation that!

I don't think any member of this board is of the opinion that a Quasimodo will become an Adonis if he shaves his head.

Would a guy look better with a full head of hair? Maybe. It's a matter of preference. Unless the guy is willing to submit himself to the risks and hit or miss success of transplants, wigs and body chemistry alterations, however, he is faced with the choice of living with partial coverage (and I don't think there is anything wrong with that) or taking the big step of getting rid of all the hair. My personal feeling is that a smooth dome beats a wispy, balding head just about every time.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 10:27:17 PM »
Nope. Don't agree. In fact, not one bit.

But will admit that comb-overs make you less attractive though.

Offline oakdan5

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
Well I actually agree with you and it is probably because of the reactions I get. What I have found is I have to either keep it real short, like bic to a 1.5 guard or grown out for like 2 months to be able to cover the recession a bit. I have actually recieved compliments when it was shaven all the way down. Being told I am handsome and such, but it was by strangers, ppl that never saw me with hair. Hardly received any compliments from ppl that have known me. The worst look IMO is when growing it back out, before I have enough coverage to hide the recession a little. That is when I get the most negative comments. People asking how old I am immediately etc. Not when it is shaved down completely or buzzed to a 1.5, but when it is in that in between phase.

Whether I look good or not shaved is very dependent on individuals taste. I prefer hair, think I look better with it, but only have soo much of a choice.

A girl once told me.. its not easy to still look good with a shaven head.. so if you do.. consider yourself lucky.

sorry to break the news to you bro but if females have not given you compliments about the shaven head then you probably don't look good with it..
I shave my head bald and still get told by most females that I don't need hair and still look good.

some guys look better than others with a shaven head...  its not an easy thing to still look good with a shaven head and most guys do not look great with shaven heads...  because most guys are just average looking...  if you're not well above average looking as in an 8+, strong jaw line, nice eyes, good symmetry, good proportions...  then you're not going to look handsome with a shaved head...  you'll look better with hair.

The harsh reality is this..  If you can't pull off a shaven head and still be considered attractive by females...  then you're simply not good looking enough to pull off a shaven head.   Some guys just have the right look for it... Once you shave off your hair.. your face needs to compensate.. and if your face isn't good looking enough then you're gonna have problems.

Here's an example of a guy who would still be considered to be attractive even with the shaved head / balding.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2iuq58x.jpg

He would look better with hair as would most anyone.. but the lack of hair won't kill him.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:12:53 PM by oakdan5 »