Author Topic: 19 Years Old & Balding. Hello!  (Read 4090 times)

Offline StrikeTheSix

• Sly Guy in Training
19 Years Old & Balding. Hello!
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
First of all, I'd like to say hello to anyone who might've stumbled upon my thread.
I'm a new personality on this forum.

Before I talk about my situation, I would like to say that I am sorry beforehand. I know this topic is quite widespread on these forums, but this is an issue that has been bugging me very much as of late, besides I figured everyone is different and I thought this would help me tackle the problem.

Anyway, here goes.

My name is Jonas. I am from a little country called Denmark. I turned 19 years old about 3 months ago.
As of late I have noticed something that has been a major blow to my selfworth and confidence. My hair seem to be falling off. As common as it may seem, it still hurts. Especially because I am 19 years old and not a lot of the people I hang out with are facing the same "problems" as I am.

Right now, I still have hair on my head. My hairline is pretty receeded and I am sort of forming the "M" shape on my head. My hair is thinning pretty bad too in these times, I only have to run my fingers through it and I'll take off 2-3 strands at least.

I consulted with my doctor. He stated it was because my hair was too intolerant of dihydrotestosterone, and so was falling out. It could be genetics too, he said, which is the most common cause. I'm not too sure of the hows and whys, so I made an appointment with a dermatologist sometime next month. If I'm ever going to accept it, I need to know why it's happening.

The reason I come to this forum with this problem is because it's hitting me so hard. I used to be a very happy lad with a fair amount of confidence, but ever since I started noticing my hair was a bit thinner and receeded as my friends, it really took it's toll.

I'll be honest and say that it sometimes make me wonder about the future. I've never been very lucky with the ladies - and I definitely do not think me being bald is going to increase my chances. By that I mean no offense to anyone at all, it's just the shape of my head. Besides that, I feel like I have quite large ears as well, so it wouldn't fit in anyway.

I know this has been a long thread, and I apologize for that, but I just want to know how do I cope with this? As I mentioned earlier the hair strands falling off seem to take tiny bits of my personality with them.

Anyways, I hope you guys can help me out. Give me some advice on how to tackle this hair situation.

I very much look forward to your replies.

Thanks in advance and nice to meet you all.

- Jonas

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: 19 Years Old & Balding. Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »
Welcome, Jonas

Sorry that you had to go through this at a young age, but there are plenty of members here who started balding at your age and even younger. If you think it is too early to shave, why don't you just try a shorter haircut and see what it is like? Have you ever talked about this to a close friend? or even family? You're losing hair, but it's not the end of the world. Stick around here, and we can help. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
As you read along on SBG, you'll find plenty of illustrations of guys being their own worst critic on how good or bad their head shape is.  I think it's pretty rare to find any guy with a bad head shape.  Also remember you see it very up close.  Others not so close.

Review the gallery or the profile photos here on SBG and try to spot a guy with a bad head shape. I can't find one.

Welcome, this is a good place to get advise. There are a number of young guys here who are addressing balding at a young age.  And others, both you and old who just like the look of a bald head (BBC), and sport the style well.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:55:05 AM »
At your age many years ago I buzzed my hair very short and kept it that way.  Actually it increased my self confidence - able and happy  to be me.  I wasn't balding at the time.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:17:56 PM »
Try to look at it as an opportunity to deal with a problem that plagues most men sooner or later, at an early age.

Offline SWvic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:50:47 AM »
19 is kinda young, but short haircuts are timeless. Like what has been said, give it a go. Do not waste time, effort, money and disappointment on any treatments though. And if you do decide to shave it, it's just a haircut! It grows back!

Offline john.peachie

• A Texan working in N'Djamena, Chad
  • Sly
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 04:54:59 AM »
Hello Jonas,  I'm new to this forum as well, but from what I've read so far, this is a good location for support and reassurance in the realm of cranial fashion.

3 years ago, my daughter (9 years old now) had a similar condition to what you are describing and it was difficult as a father to see her feeling embarrassed enough to wear a hat at all times, after many trips to different doctors, one suggested an iron supplement pill which is available off the shelf in America. 

This did the trick and started working rather quickly, her hair is very full/thick and growing, and she only wears a hat when it's too sunny now, so you may ask a professional about using a dietary supplement of iron (or any other he/she may suggest).

The reason I shave was simply by choice for me, curly hair is an absolute curse unless you keep it shoulder length, and fighting with a brush several times a day just was not worth it to me, even a short buzz cut would prove no match to the multi-directional/mind of it's own hair.  I feel much better now, after 2 days my colleagues forgot I had hair just a week earlier.

As with everything that life and nature thrust upon us we as humans are resistant to change, but don't let it get you down, walk with your head high you will be surprised at how much no one will notice since it's a fairly common fashion in modern times.

The biggest downside I can see for you would be your location....COLD!!!!  Get a good warm hat!

Cheers,
John
John

The best things in life are free, that's why I'm good for nothing...

Offline J_Dub

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 01:48:12 PM »
Jonas,

Everybody copes with hair loss differently.  The best anyone can do is tell you their story.  I won't bore you with mine or be the guy that says "shave it" at 19 years old.  Instead, just know it's not as bad as you think right now.  If there comes a time when it becomes "all-consuming" and that's all you ever think about, that's not healthy.  I struggled for the better part of 10 years with this.  It puts a damper on the quality of your life.  For me, shaving my head was a relief from all of this.  For me, it was the best thing I could ever do.  When the time comes, you have to make that decision.  Just don't struggle too with it too long before you do.

Offline StrikeTheSix

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 01:53:32 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has commented on here. I really appreciate the comments.
Hair is just hair after all, right? A friend of mine lost his hair at age 16. He just shaved it all and said exactly that; "hair is just hair". I wish I could adopt that mental attitude because it surely would be hella easier to cope with this issue!

Anyway, I'll definitely consider going for these buzz cuts, just to try it out. I might end up liking it.

Cheers,

- Jonas

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
Just do it -- sooner or later you will have to anyway.  The attitude will come -- just fake it until it does.  It really isn't as big a deal as it seems now.  Things will get better.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:47:44 AM by Razor X »

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: