Author Topic: Wife: I don't have to like it, do I?  (Read 11976 times)

Offline Nate Finch

• Learning the way of Sly
Wife: I don't have to like it, do I?
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:13:04 PM »
I've been losing my hair for about a decade (I'm 38), receding temples from my father's side, male pattern baldness from my mother's.  It's the male pattern that really bothered me, because I never see it except when it gets caught in a photo.  Anyway, I've been buzzing it shorter and shorter for about a year... started with a 3, then a 2 then a 1... I've been dropping suggestions to my wife that I may shave it sometime soon.  Usually when I say that, she doesn't really say anything.  This last time she said "well, do it soon so you can try it out before the kids' school starts".  That was enough of a go ahead for me, so I did it one morning before she got up.

When she saw it she sort of winced and didn't say anything.  Later that day she said "I don't have to like it, do I?"

Thanks for the support, honey!

It's funny, when I posted a picture to Facebook, all my immediate family disliked it, but a lot of more distant family and friends said it looks good.  I'm just starting to get used to it after a week.  I don't look so much like Bizzaro-Nate anymore.  Still Slightly-Odd-Nate, but I can deal with that for a while longer... I've never been vain, so I often just forget I've shaved it until I pass a mirror.

I'm glad to find this forum and find the 30 day rule.  Before I came here, I was going to ask how long it usually takes for yourself and others close to you to get used to it... now I know :)  I can do 30 days.  Hell, I'm 1/4 the way there already.

-Nate

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Wife: I don't have to like it, do I?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:55:16 PM »
Welcome, Nate.

Sorry your dome got that reaction. Give your wife and family time to adjust. Soon, they will not even notice it when they see you.

I was fifty-one when I shaved off my horseshoe, and my adolescent son laughed his head off when he first saw me. The nicest statement my seventy-plus mom gave was, "You probably will want to grow it back." It took her about six months to accept it. She actually likes it now.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 01:47:23 AM »
I think it looks pretty fantastic.  Hope you're enjoying it.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 03:33:10 AM »
Welcome, Nate! One of the good things about the 30-day rule is that it gives friends and family as well as the head shaver time to adjust. It looks good, stay with it.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 04:26:14 AM »
Looks good.  The 30 day rule is both for you and also family and friends to adjust to the new look and by then no one really notices or comments.  It is just you.
Roger

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:42:23 AM »
It takes a bit of time for family and friends to adjust.  stay with it they will accept that it is you.  you look good.

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 06:13:40 AM »
It looks really good on you. Keep going.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 07:04:28 AM »
When she saw it she sort of winced and didn't say anything.  Later that day she said "I don't have to like it, do I?"

Float that line on her the next time she comes back from the beautiful parlor. I guarantee you'll be getting the silent treatment for a while after that. Amazing how some women have learned to devalue and disrespect the men in their lives in this society.

And as I ponder this a good answer to her question would have been "no, you don't have to like it, you just have to get used to it".
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Nate Finch

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
Yeah, I said she didn't have to like it, but that I hoped she'd get used to it eventually.  She didn't say it in a nasty tone of voice or anything, she was actually kind of apologetic... but yeah, a nicer response would have been appreciated.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.  It's definitely growing on me (heh).

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
It took me a solid two weeks to get used to it. I already think I look weird in pictures with hair. You'll get there man.
Roll Tide!
COYS!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 03:05:48 PM »
I think that you look pretty fantastic!  Any you know what; it is really just the "change" that causes some of those reactions. If you had been shaving for years and then suddenly appeared with an MPB "fringe" or worse, a combover, you would be getting the very same reactions!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »
Looks good! Your wife and family will get used to it.
Hair is over rated.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
No, she does not have to like it, but keep it up and it won't be long and your shiny bald head will become normal and she will get to like it.

My wife was not crazy at first, but it did not take too long. Now she really enjoys coming along and rubbing my head. I like it too.

It will take awhile before YOU and others come to realize that this bald Nate really is you.  It took me awhile. I was sold on the bald head look, but it took awhile before I got used to that really being me in the reflection or photos.  Now, it's me.  Yep. That's the way I look.

From those who have never met you, you'll get complements.  You look great with a bald head. Hope you keep it up.

Offline Nate Finch

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 07:56:55 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  I'm sure I'll get used to it, an so will everyone else.  And yeah, people who've never met me before aren't going to know I haven't always been bald... and I know I always thought bald guys look pretty damn cool, even before I shaved.

Very glad to have found this site. You guys are awesome.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 01:04:42 AM »
Hey Nate, it looks great!  Wives are usually the first critics in the beginning but often change after they see how happy their husbands are after the decision to shave.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.