Author Topic: I have a plan  (Read 3022 times)

Offline nomoore

• Sly Guy in Training
I have a plan
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:14:12 AM »
So I have started implementing a plan. When done, unless I chicken out, I will have a nice cue ball.

I started with a 1920s ish hair style. It was long (but thinning) on top with a 1 guard taper on the sides. I decided it was thinning too much and I decided to do something about it and go shorter. I went to the barber and got my first ever buzz cut with a 5 guard on top and a 2 on the sides. After a few days I decided it wasn’t short enough. The thinning hair was still very obvious and laid down flatter than the rest. With help from you guys I decided to go much shorter and probably even shaved. Two and a half weeks later, just this Saturday, I got it buzzed to a 3 on top and a 1 on the sides. The pics I have attached show it like it is now. I like this pretty good. The thinning hair now appears to be the same length as the thick hair. But I still notice the thinning a lot.

I have an important event coming up in a week and my wife wants to feel comfortable with my hair for it. So I will leave it like this for a week or two and then cut it down to a 1 guard using my Wahl Lithium Ion Trimmer. If that works well I will probably leave it for a few days or a week and then trim it with no guard and possibly shave it.

-- Nick

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I have a plan
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
You must do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Now for some unsolicited but well intentioned advice - your hairline is receded to the point that it is pretty much decimated.  It would look a lot better if you took it down to AT LEAST a #1.  I'd suggest even shorter. That doesn't mean you have to shave it completely.  If you do it now, you'll probably feel more at ease with it by the time of your big event.

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn, but sometimes we're too close to the situation to see this for ourselves, and nobody close to us wants to be the one to say what must be said.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Offline nomoore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice Razor X. I have waited far too long, that's for sure. I certainly would like to go shorter right now but it wouldn't be advantageous for me or my wife. We will be seeing a bunch of friends we haven't seen in a while. If I do anything shorter right now I may be self conscious about it and I'm sure it would stress my wife out more.

I think in the long run I will be far more comfortable shaved. But I need a bit more than a week with it before going to an event such as this. I think it will take longer than a week for the skin color/tan line to even out. After the event I might go straight to shaved though.
-- Nick

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »
You're on the right road.  Excellent. This plan makes you comfortable and works for you. But when you do decide to go all the way, I'm gonna bet you'll love it.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 01:25:38 PM »
Everyone in their own time and in their own way. Whatever you decide, we're here to help!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
That's very kind of you to respect your wife's feelings.

I also am going to lay odds that when you do go all the way, you are going to like it.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 05:21:43 PM »
Your plan is a common plan a lot of guys use.  Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
SlyBeard

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »
Is your wife concerned about how you will look or is she concerned about how your friends will react?  If they are good friends, it shouldn't matter to them if you change your hairstyle.  Yes, they may ask a question or two, but then the conversation should move on to other more important and interesting topics.

If the situation is going to be stressful for your wife, then delaying is probably a wise move on your part. 

I would have to second what Razor X suggests and make an appointment for a very short buzz or complete head shave.  Once you see the change, I think you'll be very satisfied.

Offline nomoore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 09:39:03 PM »
Npsbg, I think it is that she thinks it will look bad on me. This is an event where many pictures will be taken and shared via social networks. So if I get a "bad haircut" then basically ALL our friends will see it and it will, in her eyes, lessen the "special" event.

Though I haven't actually discussed the "why" with her so I don't know this for sure. But I know it could be stressful for her. She normally lets me do what I want with my hair, facial hair, etc, so it is significant that she pleaded with me to wait.

It won't be a long wait though. Just one more week. And the more I think about it the more excited I get about it. Hopefully the excitement lasts and overpowers whatever nervousness I may have when the time comes.
-- Nick

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 02:16:39 PM »
Hi