Author Topic: Happy to be here  (Read 2748 times)

Offline WhoKnows

• Learning the way of Sly
Happy to be here
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
Hello All,

Glad I found this forum. Just went full head-shave about four days ago after discovering a huge alopecia on the very back of my head last week. Happened so fast--surely within no more than a week--and is first time. Have no idea if it will grow back. Steroid injections and creme are only treatment I'm doing. I'm fine if it doesn't work.

I think the alopecia was stress-related. Too much work + a divorce at home over the past year. I had a thick and full head of hair all my life, so this happening at 53 is quite unexpected. But I live in Singapore, 1 degree from the equator, and the humidity is brutal--so I'd often considered going full shave to cut down on sweat and heat. Taking the plunge is not hard.

What I do find hard is the "shadow." I have dark brown hair, and even with a close shave--today was the first time I'd managed to achieve that, four days in--the alopecia spot still stares from the back of my head because of that shadow. I'm hoping a bit of sun will tan the whole scalp and make the coloration of the scalp more uniform.

I'll add pics later. Right now I have to go to work--I'm a teacher, and summer holiday ends today--and navigate how to explain the shave. I'm wearing a hat because of unsightly nics (is there makeup for that?). When they heal, and my shaving skills and kit know-how improve, I'll go hatless and feel fine about it.

Anyway, nice to be here. Your forum posts were helpful.

PS. "WhoKnows" is a pun on an old Daoist (Taoist) folk tale in which an old farmer keeps responding to his neighbor's insistence that good luck was good, and bad luck was bad. The old man replies to every event with, "Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?" And the next day, invariably, bad luck becomes good, and good luck bad, and the concept suddenly becomes silly. So I'm looking at this from the "Who knows?" point of view. Here's a poor translation of the tale: http://www.yellowbridge.com/literature/horse.php  :)

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
Re: Happy to be here
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 02:13:23 AM »
we all tend to be our own worst critics, though obviously without a pic can't really tell, but a bit of sun does even things out
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline WhoKnows

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:49:43 AM »
Good to know, Quiet Dan, thanks. :)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 03:07:11 AM »
Welcome aboard!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 05:01:39 AM »
Welcome Whoknows.  This is a great place to be for support and advice.  I'm sorry about the divorce and the stress over the last year, but  you seem to have a great outlook.  Stick with the shaving; I'll bet once you get some sun on your head, the shadow won't be as pronounced.

And good luck with the new school year.  I'm a teacher, too, but I have about three more weeks of summer.  8)
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 05:43:19 PM »
Welcome WhoKnows
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:22:56 PM »
Welcome!  I teach English in Vietnam at a private language school, so no summer break for me!

Enter your email address: