Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 5966 times)

Offline nomoore

• Sly Guy in Training
Introduction
« on: July 30, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
Hi! My name is Nick. I’m 35 years old and I live in Austin, TX. My hair has been thinning a lot on top and I have a little bit of a receding hair line. I also have bad dandruff and my scalp will get very itchy sometimes, especially if I neglect washing it for a couple of days.

I was sporting a 1920s-ish hair style, long on top and a #1 guard on the sides, tapered. But I decided to change when a friend saw my pic on my wife’s facebook and commented “Poor Nick!” in reference to my hair. The pic made it look like my hair was receded a lot more than it was, mainly because the pic didn’t show my thin hair very well. So I decided I need a change.

I researched shorter hairstyles a lot and decided on just a regular buzz cut. I consider myself a nice, trustworthy guy and I want to maintain that image and I told this to my barber. He recommended a “52”, a 5 guard on the top and a 2 on the sides. He said he didn’t want to do a 1 on the sides  because he didn’t want me to look like a “skinhead”. He said we can always go shorter if I don’t like it. So I have tried that haircut out for 2.5 weeks and I am ready to go shorter. In fact I am thinking about completely shaving it.

I have a mustache and I will definitely keep that. I also have long sideburns and if I shave the noggin (or go with no guard on my trimmer) I wonder if I should keep the long sideburns. I don’t want to grow a beard though.

The other option is to go with a 1 guard all the way around. I would definitely leave the sideburns and mustache with this style.

What do you guys think? What will look best on me while still giving me a “nice, trustworthy guy” look?

--Nick

-- Nick

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:23 PM »
I'd buzz cut it, you can always grow it back, get it to an even length all over

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »
Nick:

First; welcome

Second; I am going to be very honest with you - with that degree of hair loss you should go right for the shave.  You are a handsome guy and a shaved head with the dark mustache will be a really striking look.

Just do it and then post some photos for us.

And remember the 30 day rule.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:45:07 PM »
I agree with the other guys. You can start with a buzz and see what you think. You may just decide to completely shave. A smooth head will look good with your mustache. You've already got a trustworthy face. The haircut won't change that. I think the glasses are sharp, too.

And don't listen to that dummy barber.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:02:46 PM »
I definitely think, at minimum, a very short buzz is the way to go.  I think trustworthiness is an eye/smile thing, with nothing to do with one's hair, so I wouldn't let that stop you from shaving, if you decide to go down that route.  There are shifty shaved guys and super-trustworthy shaved guys.  So don't worry in that regard.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »
My opinion, the sideburns gotta go for sure.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:30 PM »
I think a buzz or a complete shave is the way to go.  Your barber is giving you bad advice about being a "skinhead".  Shaved heads are pretty common these days in many parts of the country.  If you try a short buzz or shave all the way and don't like it, you're hair will grow back in a few weeks.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »
Welcome, Nick!

I think you definitely need to at least buzz it down...The way your hair is now, the thinning is kind of sticking out like a sore thumb. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline nomoore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:13 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I just ran the shaving it idea by my wife and she all but begged me to keep some of it. The more I look at my pictures the more I want to just shave it though. I agree with Sir Harry. The thinning just sticks out badly. But I think the Mrs. will need to get used to it in stages. So I think my next two haircuts will be progressively shorter. And then, unless I really fall in love with one of those cuts, I will finally shave it. If I do finally shave it or buzz without a guard I will post up some pics to show it off.
-- Nick

Offline nomoore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:28:50 PM »
Mike,
   I'm glad to know the trustworthy look is in the face, not the style of hair. And thanks for the glasses complement. Round lenses are hard to find around here. I knew what I wanted and I searched for a while to find them.
-- Nick

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 01:19:45 AM »
a shaved head with the dark mustache, looks awesome
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 03:03:43 AM »
Your plan of gradually shortening the length of your hair is a great idea. That's how I did it. You will get use to it and so will your wife. By the way,welcome to the forum.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 05:49:03 AM »
I would definitely go with short buzz.   Later you will likely want to shave it as you and wife get used to the shorter style.   Incidentally I live also in the Austin area but am much older.

Offline nomoore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »
I would definitely go with short buzz.   Later you will likely want to shave it as you and wife get used to the shorter style.   Incidentally I live also in the Austin area but am much older.

After finding this site I now wonder every time I see a bald head whether this site helped them take the plunge. Lol!
-- Nick

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »

After finding this site I now wonder every time I see a bald head whether this site helped them take the plunge. Lol!
Your mistake is in "asking" your wife for her opinion of how you should feel! 

Remember, it is always easier to beg forgiveness that to ask permission!

Just do it!  Once the deed is done she will accept the "fait accompli".