Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Liammarin

• Learning the way of Sly
Introduction
« on: July 29, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »
Hello, my name is Liam and I'm 18 years old and a senior in high school. Ever since last year, I noticed my hairline starting to recede. The process has been very gradual, but there is definitely a small difference between my hairline from last year and now. At first I was terrified- I did not know what to do, so I just ignored the issue and started taking vitamins but they didn't help. I looked online at options to slow hair growth, but unfortunately options were either heavily chemical, had bad side effects, or were just too medically invasive.

My hairline recession is not really noticeable, but I assume that by next year it will be far more noticeable. I have decided that once it gets to that point, instead of trying every option under the sun and live in fear of the inevitable, I'm going to shave my head. I am probably going pretty far away for college, so I figure the best time to do it is when I head off away from town.

So, do you all have any advice for someone newly coming over to the sly side? Should I go ahead and get rid of my hair now? Did you look back and regret not shaving your head earlier?

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 02:30:11 PM »
I definitely regret waiting so long, but I waited until I was 35 ish so I suffered with worry for years.

You are smart thinking you will just shave and not consider all the crazy medical or surgical options. If your recession is not noticeable, you don't need to rush things. You can always shave your head. However, maybe you simply want to see how you look bald. Then do it! You can always let it grow in.

It is very liberating being bald!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »
Hello, my name is Liam and I'm 18 years old and a senior in high school. Ever since last year, I noticed my hairline starting to recede. The process has been very gradual, but there is definitely a small difference between my hairline from last year and now. At first I was terrified- I did not know what to do, so I just ignored the issue and started taking vitamins but they didn't help. I looked online at options to slow hair growth, but unfortunately options were either heavily chemical, had bad side effects, or were just too medically invasive.

My hairline recession is not really noticeable, but I assume that by next year it will be far more noticeable. I have decided that once it gets to that point, instead of trying every option under the sun and live in fear of the inevitable, I'm going to shave my head. I am probably going pretty far away for college, so I figure the best time to do it is when I head off away from town.

So, do you all have any advice for someone newly coming over to the sly side? Should I go ahead and get rid of my hair now? Did you look back and regret not shaving your head earlier?

Well Liam:

First off - WELCOME!  This is a group of some of the nicest, most supportive men, (and a couple of women) I have ever run across.  You can always trust that whatever advice they give is from the heart.

Second - without photos it is really quite difficult for any of us to give you any judgment as to the extent of your hair loss and whether or not you are at the point that you should quit fighting it.

Third - I am one of the guys who does not HAVE to shave his head.  I have significant hair loss and even more than significant thinning, but I still have enough to "get away with" having a bit of hair.  And because I am such a lazy Bum, I go back and forth between being fully shaved and having a bit of a buzz cut.  So, take my advice with a grain of salt and wait for some of the other guys who have suffered hair loss at your age to chime in, (and there are many young guys on this board who are just like you).

Having said all of that - there is no "Rule" saying that you have to wait until thus and such a time to test fly a Sly haircut!  After all, shaving your head is just another haircut.  If you are curious to know what you will look like "Sly and Fly" you should just go for it.  Either grab a set of clippers and a razor or go to a good old fashioned barber and enjoy having him do the deed for you. 

BUT REMEMBER THE 30 DAY RULE - when you first shave your head you need to give your brain a bit of time to get used to imprinting itself with your new look.  You also need to give the brains of those around you the same amount of time to get used to your new look.  So, when you do shave, commit to keeping it shaved for a full 30 days before you decide if you want to keep the look or go back to some other kind of haircut for a while.

Whatever you do, keep us posted and post some photos.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »
Welcome, Liam
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:56:16 AM »
Welcome!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 05:23:21 AM »
At your age I wanted short hair or little hair - this was years ago.  When I went away to college one of the first things I did was get a short buzz hair cut and had kept it that way since and some years later shaved.  I suggest you get a short buzz when off to college.  At some point you might want to shave.