Author Topic: Difference between #1 and shaved smooth?  (Read 7616 times)

Offline Mikeykw

• Learning the way of Sly
Difference between #1 and shaved smooth?
« on: July 26, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »
I'm curious about the difference between #1 and shaved bald? I've gone down to #1 in the past and can still leave the house with it, without feeling too self conscious. I'm curious about how it would feel shaving it all smooth; I doubt I could really carry it off, but I'm off work for the summer, and figure if all else fails I could just stay in the house for however long it takes to grow back.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
Re: Difference between #1 and shaved smooth?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 10:03:35 PM »
Well, common lore is that the "number" system approximates weeks worth of growth.  But then, everyone's hair grows at a different rate; (average 1/2 inch per month).

So, the longest it should take to grow from shaved to #1 is one week, (probably only about 5 days).

If you are "comfortable" with a #1 there is absolutely no reason to think that you would not be just as comfortable going fully sly!  And after all, it is just a haircut for goodness sake!

Go for it and post us some B and A photos.  We will tell you what we think looks good on you.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:20:26 PM »
Appearance-wise there's not a whole lot of difference. But it feels amazing.

Offline Aussie Sly Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Sly Since March 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 03:36:25 AM »
It feels a lot better to be smooth. Looks wise, it depends on how dark your hair is in contrast to your skin tone. Darker hair with fair skin, you're gonna have more of a shadow effect.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:50:27 AM »
My experience matches with the common lore comments above.

If you are not ready to get the razor out, at least take the guard off your razor and just buzz your head at short as it will go.  I did that for a few months before shaving my head.

Here is the difference.  'The feel'.

From any distance more than a foot or two, a buzzed/no guard head looks just like a shaved head.  But the shaved head has a very nice smooth feel that is really worth taking that step.  I'd recommend the 30 day rule.  After a month, if you are not convinced, you'll be back to a #1 in a week.  Nothing lost.

From the testimonies here on SBG, you won't want to go back to the #1. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:26:53 AM »
Like the guys said, shaved smooth is an incredible feel. That's why many of us shave every day. Get the razor out and shave your head. If you don't like it, it will grow back in about 5 days, wear a hat for a few days.

On that note, time for me to shave this sandpaper off of my head, love the baby butt smooth.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline usmcpelon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 07:17:19 AM »
Try shaving it now that you are off work and enjoy the shave smooth feeling.  It's a amazing feeling, feel and look.  You will get a lot of compliments and it will give you the confident to keep razor shaving for a long time.  Just remember that people will only give you good comments about a great looking razor head shave.  And the attention you get will be worth the razor shave.  Every body love a man with a razor head shave.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »
You could try a 0 buzz before going razor smooth, but there is not much difference in the look.  Most people that see you will not notice a difference, except other head shavers.  The feel is the big difference.
SlyBeard

Offline Mikeykw

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »
Thanks everyone -- I think I will try a "no guard" buzz and see how that goes!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 07:48:23 PM »
Thanks everyone -- I think I will try a "no guard" buzz and see how that goes!

Good luck! If you don't like it, you can always grow it back to where you were!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
Like other have said, most people will not notice the difference.  You can try going down to the #000, #00000 & #000000. That's what I did.   Now a #1 or a #1.5 fells absolutely "long".  But in reality, there's very little difference between #1 and shaves, as others have said.  Give it a try; you'll be back to #1 in 5 days if you don't like it.

Offline Mikeykw

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »
Is it really just five days from a #0 or shaved smooth? I think tomorrow is the day; I'll be able to hibernate for a week if I need to!

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
Yep...5 days.  Makes razor shaving seem a lot less scary & intimidating, doesn't it?  if you can live with a #1, or have been living with a #1 cut for a while and are comfortable with a #1 buzz, then trying a razor shaved head is really not such a big deal.  It took me a long time to go from #1 to razor shaving, but once I got used to #1 & less (the "0s") and kept my hair at #000 or less regularly, no one really notices when I razor shave (which I am doing currently).

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 05:12:58 AM »
No need to hibernate, Mikey, simply wear a cap. You will probably want to go out an show off your shaved head through!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Mikeykw

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
Well the deed is done, shaved smooth. I'm still not sure what I think as I'm still in shock. I can't really look too close at myself but I do love the feel of it...thanks for the encouragement....

Enter your email address: