Author Topic: New guy, not a big leap to shave my head  (Read 3957 times)

Offline fjc

• Learning the way of Sly
New guy, not a big leap to shave my head
« on: July 25, 2015, 03:45:18 PM »
50+ year old guy here, been losing my hair since I was 19.  I've never really cared, but the last few years I've wondered what it'd be like to shave the rest of it off.  I've been buzzing it down to 1/8th inch anyway for months, so it wasn't a huge step.

Facing a couple of forced weeks off work due to shoulder surgery, I thought what the heck. So, 9 days ago I pulled out an old can of Edge Gel and a Fusion razor (new blade at least).  I normal use an electric on my face, but went to town and shaved it all off.  No nicks, it went quite well.  Then I did some searching and some reading.  Ran out and bought a bottle of HeadSlick, and also some Neutragena Men's Post Shave Lotion as my head was a bit dry.  Second shave went even better, and head felt even slicker.

Missed a few days from the surgery, but I've now shaved it 5 times in 9 days, moisturizing after each shave, and it's just feeling better and better.  I think I'm hooked. :)

Anyway, just saying "Hello," and introducing myself.  I also ordered a Harry's starter kit to try out, as keeping this up will require some more cartridge razors!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
Re: New guy, not a big leap to shave my head
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 04:04:01 PM »
Welcome.  Of course you are hooked.
Roger

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
Welcome.  You don't NEED shoulder surgery to get hooked on head shaving, but if it helps. Go for it. LOL.

I was buzzing 1/8 inch or less and found it a small step to the full shave.  It's a keeper. Trust your surgery went well and recovers well.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:15:47 PM »
Welcome to the sly fraternity.  Glad that you joined us.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 10:19:34 PM »
Welcome aboard!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline fjc

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 05:07:50 AM »
Thanks everyone!   Surgery went well but of course that arm is out of service for a while.  Regardless, I've managed to shave my head twice since, one-handed.   That's a challenge and slow, since I have to keep putting the razor down to feel where I've missed and re-spread the head slick over areas I've shaved.

I just keep thinking how much easier it'll be once I have both hands!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 09:26:54 AM »
Welcome and good luck with recovery from surgery

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 10:08:46 PM »
Yep, I shaved my too when I had shoulder surgery.  Treated myself to weekly headshaves at the barbershop until I got my wing back.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 09:22:34 PM »
Good luck with the shoulder surgery recovery & rehab.  I've had 3 shoulders surgeries...they get easier, although not more fun.   1-arm shaving is a bit more challenging for the back of the head, but doable.

Offline fjc

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 09:49:30 AM »
So far it is all going quite well, both with the shoulder surgery recovery and the head shaving. :)  Got a starter set from Harry's and have used it for two shaves so far. 

I think I've shaved my head a good 7 or 8 times thus far, not a single nick.  THough I think I've developed a few bumps from going ATG.  I keep thinking my head needs to be smooth as silk to be done right, whereas it's still pretty sandpaper-y if I only go with the grain - but I'm not sure it looks that much different.  Bumps seem to be mostly around the ears, where I'll admit I shave repeatedly to get that difficult area.

Offline fjc

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »
TODAY is 30 days since I first shaved my head.  I think I've only missed about 4 days (3 of those due to surgery) of shaving - I really like shaving it daily for that very smooth feel.

I don't know if my technique is getting better, my head is getting more used to being shaved, or the daily post-shave moisturizing is doing it, but my head is feeling more and more smooth after every shave.  Maybe a combination of all three.

Lovin' the "sly bald guy" thing!