Author Topic: head shaving at the gym?  (Read 5922 times)

Offline clipped

• Sly
head shaving at the gym?
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »
As a long time clipper shaver and occasional razor shaver, I decided to give razor shaving a longer try for the summer, mostly shaving 2-3x/week.  Earlier this week, I ended up shaving my head at the gym after a workout - a first for me. I have to admit, I felt a little awkward and nervous, but no one said anything, although I really shouldn't care what anyone thinks.  I have seen a few guys shave their heads at my gym, but not many.  Any others have experience with this - positive, negative or nonevent?  Any regular head shavers who feel good about their shaved head, but self conscious about the act of shaving it in a public place?       

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: head shaving at the gym?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 07:10:34 AM »
I see the odd guy shaving his head at the gym.  The idea appeals to me and makes sense.  If I'm showering there, I might as well shave.  But I don't simply because I like to take my time and I don't want to hog up space at one of the sinks.  I also like privacy and don't want to tempt anyone to engage me in conversation while I am trying to get cleaned up, dressed, and out of the gym.  I know; I am turning into (already am?) a grouchy old man!  :(
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:04:24 AM »
I have thought of the same thing but never tried it.  The gym I go to is small and has a small dressing room, so I don't think it would work well.  I have shaved on my break at work, but only in a remote "one person" restroom with privacy.
SlyBeard

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »
Although I  could shave at my gym I  prefer the privacy and comfort of my home.
Roger

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »
I did when I still belonged to a Gym.  I saw other guys doing it too.  I don't think that there is anything wrong with it.

Offline usmcpelon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 07:02:57 AM »
I always shave my head at the gym, it a good promotion tool to get other guys to completely shave their head bald and it works.  Try shave every time your at the gym and watch guys say, "I'm thinking about shaving my head," and of course you reply go ahead you'll never go back to hair.  Three guys have done so with the suggestion they shave at the gym to promote the bald look. 

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 09:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  I am just surprised that I don't see more people doing this.  I don't see anything "wrong" with it and that's not my concern...it's really is no different than shaving your face.  I just feel a little awkward about it , as a new (for the summer) razor head shaver.    Mike, I know what you mean by the "odd guy" but I don't want someone to think I "am odd" because I shave my head.  I have been clipper shaving for several years, mostly at zero/no guard, so I think that most people consider me as someone with a shaved head.  I agree that it could be a good advertisement for encouraging others who are on the fence.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:14:15 AM »
Hi Clipped, by odd guy, I really meant I see the occasional guy shaving his head at the gym. There are not too many guys at my gym who shave in the locker room, although there are plenty of sly guys and we are far from odd! 😎
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline baldbob

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 05:44:41 AM »
I shave my head at the gym all the time, and have never thought a thing of it. I've also seen other guys shaving there. Occasionally, someone will engage me in conversation about shaving. A lot of guys are curious about it. I encourage them all to give it a try.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 09:38:34 PM »
Thanks Mike & Baldbob.  I have shaved at the gym a few times now, and have felt pretty comfortable doing it.  Like most fears about razor head shaving, the apprehension of razor shaving at the gym was scarier than the actual deed.  In fact, the first time I did it, I followed through more because I would have been disappointed in myself if I did not followed through.  I am also normally a clipper shaver and am trying more consistent razor shaving for the summer...so the whole idea of regularly razor shaving is new to me.

Offline baldbob

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »
I've always wondered how clipper shaved guys deal with the short hairs going everywhere. With razor shaving there's less to clean up. All the stubble goes in the sink. Clipped, I wonder if you'll ever feel comfortable going back to the clippers after the razor. Daily shaving is part of the whole experience for me. I must admit though that a clipper shave looks just as nice.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 03:59:31 AM »

I do agree that razor shaving is raiser to clean up after, I haven't clipper shaved in 11 years. 

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 04:42:13 AM »
I used to clipper shave. I'd put an old sheet down on the floor to catch the hair. Razor shaving is so much better. Once I switched, I never went back to the clippers.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 09:56:55 AM »
I have done it several times at the gym. I was self conscious at first but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »
Baldbob, I have never found the clipper shavings to be a big problem.  And my wife hasn't complained.  They either seem to stick to the clipper or are on my shoulders/back.  I always do my clipper cuts without any shirt/undershirt on and immediately shower afterwards, so any on me go down the shower drain.